Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I dont think there is any farmer hate at all. A hate of inequality is all I see.
Inequality??....seriously?
Old 11-01-2016, 06:11 PM

What area of the province is the lease in question, just curious?
Old 11-01-2016, 07:59 PM

Ran into the same issue the last few months. New hunter, calling emailing and visiting lease holders, mostly receiving "already too many hunters" or "my house is right over there"...but it sure seems like an old boys club. Sure if you are close to the city you probably get a lot of yahoos...but again it's lease land, not private...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2016, 09:05 PM

I just got off the phone with some leaseholders. Got permission and they were even nice enough to tell me where the Cow Moose like to hang out. Was a great experience and I look forward to meeting them in person one day. (They are old folks so I offered to help them with fencing if needed)
Old 11-01-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Inequality??....seriously?
Yes. My problem is when some lease holders only allow their friends to hunt the land and not the public. That's the inequality I speak of.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanH View Post
I just got off the phone with some leaseholders. Got permission and they were even nice enough to tell me where the Cow Moose like to hang out. Was a great experience and I look forward to meeting them in person one day. (They are old folks so I offered to help them with fencing if needed)
Bring them a tin of Tims coffee before Christmas.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Bring them a tin of Tims coffee before Christmas.
Fantastic idea!
Old 11-02-2016, 12:59 AM

the only requirement is to give notice, pending special conditions. I call and notify that I will be accessing for the entire season sept 1 to nov 30.
I have had lease holders who have # of hunter restrictions who have told me they have already given permission to the restricted # of hunters and replied with a fine I will monitor the lease and see, called the settlement officer to say the same and requested that they obtain some proof like names and suggested they mention to the lease holder that they will be contacted and asked when they will be there.

We must stand up for our access rights because the majority of lease holders behave like owners in my experience.

Some of my reports have had restrictions changed and lease holders put on notice, you also have to manage the settlement officers to.

You gave notice go hunt and make your own decision on whether there is too many hunters or not

Happy Hunting
Old 11-02-2016, 11:02 PM

Well if anybody wants to come hunt my 1, 1/4 of crown land you can have at it . I just grazed it with 1000 steers last week . Took 2.5 days to eat every bit of grass on it . But there's only one condition guys.
Your going to have to jump from a helicopter cause there's no landing pad available cause its solid bush . Also note there's no landing on the land around it cause I own all of it , so that's private . Plus that one little old 1/4 is pretty much smack dab in the middle of my ranch so you wont be getting there by foot . Call all the people you want on me .It wont help your cause because the Queen says I don't have to let you even near it .
Old 11-03-2016, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck yote View Post
Well if anybody wants to come hunt my 1, 1/4 of crown land you can have at it . I just grazed it with 1000 steers last week . Took 2.5 days to eat every bit of grass on it . But there's only one condition guys.
Your going to have to jump from a helicopter cause there's no landing pad available cause its solid bush . Also note there's no landing on the land around it cause I own all of it , so that's private . Plus that one little old 1/4 is pretty much smack dab in the middle of my ranch so you wont be getting there by foot . Call all the people you want on me .It wont help your cause because the Queen says I don't have to let you even near it .

Mature... Reeeeaaaalll mature.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post

I take it you wont be coming to hunt then ??
Old 11-03-2016, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post

I think it was irony please confirm - too tired to read the whole thing.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
I think it was irony please confirm - too tired to read the whole thing.
Either that or sarcasm....
Old 11-03-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Either that or sarcasm....
Whatever
Old 11-03-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
A landlocked lease? No road allowance? Are you sure?
Old 11-03-2016, 07:48 AM

Default Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I don't know how much experience you have with grazing leases but I used to lease 4 1/2 sections and I would have been miles ahead buying land instead. Not only did I lose financially, every year some one would leave my gates open and allow my cows to drift all over the country. Quadders drive all over it and rut it up so that the trails are almost impassible and cut the fence if they didn't find a gate on the pipeline they were following. See the attached photo for another benefit of lease land that the public has access to.

In 15 years I had one person call and ask for permission. We told her to go ahead but she would be carrying anything she shot out on her back and never heard from her again. Before you jump down my throat for that, not one person on this board would let her or her husband on their place if they knew them.

When I finally draw my Cadomin ram tag I'm marching into mine office and demanding access to the reclaimed mine. Who do they think they are keeping me off the mine when all they have rights for is the coal?
The mine site is a game preserve, a bit different than a grazing lease.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:53 AM

Default Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
A landlocked lease? No road allowance? Are you sure?
There's a road allowance...there always is. Where did you say that 1/4 is?
Old 11-03-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Please leave the forum.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Here is another issue. Farmers have claimed more public land by farming the ditches and laying claim fence to fence wherever they choose to drive posts. There is no such thing as land locked crown land.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:46 PM

Default This is always an entertaining issue, good for a chuckle.

It always makes me laugh to read all this bickering, like a bunch of little kids fighting over the sandbox.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:41 PM

Default Access

Quote:
He got real quiet real fast once he realised that indeed it can be accessed......so I'll ask again if your so sure no one can get on that land-where is it?
Old 11-03-2016, 11:41 PM

What leaseholders want is some sort of respect given to them and the land that they use. Some have had this land for as long as you are old. now they face the inevitable fact that a bunch of irresponsible hunters will abuse/misuse their land/livelihood and this is threatening to them. Ultimately you have a right to hunt but just remember that you are coming into a place that some people hold in high regard and hope that it remains in such a state for their kid's kids sake.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000496519 View Post
What leaseholders want is some sort of respect given to them and the land that they use. Some have had this land for as long as you are old. now they face the inevitable fact that a bunch of irresponsible hunters will abuse/misuse their land/livelihood and this is threatening to them. Ultimately you have a right to hunt but just remember that you are coming into a place that some people hold in high regard and hope that it remains in such a state for their kid's kids sake.
Amen
Old 11-04-2016, 03:46 PM

Curious what the protocol would be if a lease says to call prior to access and the number is out of service?
Old 11-04-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000496519 View Post
What leaseholders want is some sort of respect given to them and the land that they use. Some have had this land for as long as you are old. now they face the inevitable fact that a bunch of irresponsible hunters will abuse/misuse the land/livelihood and this is threatening to them. Ultimately you have a right to hunt but just remember that you are coming into a place that some people hold in high regard and hope that it remains in such a state for their kid's kids sake.
I fixed it for you, and agree with the majority of the post. Remember respect goes two directions.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:12 PM

I contacted four completely new to me lease holders this year. All were very thankful I called and said "no problem".

Here is the part that stands out. Everyone one of them asked me to please not cut any fences.

That is insane, four random people in the same area have had their fences cut on more than one occasion. It is no wonder leaseholders don't want people on the land.

This is not an isolated incident, so don't bother with the "painting everyone with the same brush" comments. Each mentioned neighbours that had similar issues.

My God, if it doesn't go without saying not cut the freaken fences maybe there should be no access to lease lands without some sort of a mental evaluation.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:38 PM

Why would someone even need to cut a fence? I have heard of this too but never understood why.of course you shouldn't but the reason as to why confuses me .....often I wonder if moose or elk snap fences and humans take the brunt of it.....I have even heard lease holders complain that mushroom pickers cut their fences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I contacted four completely new to me lease holders this year. All were very thankful I called and said "no problem".

Here is the part that stands out. Everyone one of them asked me to please not cut any fences.

That is insane, four random people in the same area have had their fences cut on more than one occasion. It is no wonder leaseholders don't want people on the land.

This is not an isolated incident, so don't bother with the "painting everyone with the same brush" comments. Each mentioned neighbours that had similar issues.

My God, if it doesn't go without saying not cut the freaken fences maybe there should be no access to lease lands without some sort of a mental evaluation.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Why would someone even need to cut a fence? I have heard of this too but never understood why.of course you shouldn't but the reason as to why confuses me .....often I wonder if moose or elk snap fences and humans take the brunt of it.....I have even heard lease holders complain that mushroom pickers cut their fences.
The farmers said they cut the fence to get a quad or truck in to retrieve game or just to drive a cut line that doesn't have a gate. One guy said they even took the wire as they must have used it to drag a moose out.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:32 PM

I saw a grazing lease that encompasses almost 8 full sections of land. For the people who don't know.. That is 5120 acres, or a block of land 2 miles wide by 4 miles long. These lease says that by the regulations of the minister they only allow 6 people on the lease to hunt per day. That means each person is alloted 1.3 square miles each. When in most cases these hunters will be in small groups hunting very small sections of that land, it could easily There are several 1/4 sections that allow 3-4 per day. Which is roughly only 3% of the size of lease.

Some of the rules that the lease owners try get away with cause some of the issues and discontent among hunters.

On the flip side,

I also see it for the lease owners it is sucks that they have to make rules for the 10% idiot demographic, people who cut fences, leave gates open, have little or no respect for land or livestock. It is really what makes it difficult for the other 90% of us who are totally respectful and leave it as or better than we found it.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
He got real quiet real fast once he realised that indeed it can be accessed......so I'll ask again if your so sure no one can get on that land-where is it?
Not quiet , just busy is all .