Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2016, 11:16 AM

Default Can those that have a grazing lease deny me access?

I just did my due diligence and looked up the the contact info for the grazing leases I like to hunt.

A woman answered and I asked if I could hunt on the grazing lease next week.

She told me that people had already called and I would be better off looking elsewhere / go find land somewhere else.

It that legal? Is it not all available to hunt as it is crown land?

On the XNET site it says directly:

Leaseholder Conditions as Approved by the Minister
If livestock in field, only foot access allowed.
Camping by permission only.
Foot access permitted, without contact.
Please contact between Monday and Saturday.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusII View Post
I just did my due diligence and looked up the the contact info for the grazing leases I like to hunt.

She told me that people had already called and I would be better off looking elsewhere / go find land somewhere else.

Nope. Crown land is owned by the crown, not the lady you contacted.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:20 AM

Why do we have to ask them as if it IS their land. They take a liking to it and they think they control every aspect of it.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Did you miss: "Foot access permitted, without contact".
Old 10-31-2016, 11:25 AM

I did not miss it at all. I just called to cover my bases and she is telling me to go elsewhere. I was curious if she can even do that.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:25 AM

This issue comes up a few times a year on the forum... just this morning, I contacted a guy who has a grazing lease. His conditions are almost identical to yours, especially the part about " if foot access only, no contact required"

he mentioned he has that condition because he wants to control any on/off road vehicle access which I completely understand. It also allows him relief from the numerous phone calls from hunters who only access on foot

If it was me, I'd call her back and politely remind her about that condition and go hunt. Good luck
Old 10-31-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I did not miss it at all. I just called to cover my bases and she is telling me to go elsewhere. I was curious if she can even do that.
She can say whatever she wants but cannot "do" whatever she wants... leaseholders have conditions they need to abide by. I hope you call her on it.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:

She never said you couldn't access. She said from the amount of people calling you might be better off trying somewhere else. Perhaps she was trying to do you a favour.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
She never said you couldn't access. She said from the amount of people calling you might be better off trying somewhere else. Perhaps she was trying to do you a favour.
This could be it also i think people need to stop always thinking worst case possible.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
2x... to much of this nowadays
Old 10-31-2016, 11:46 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
2x... to much of this nowadays
except the last while on here it is way more fun to bash the evil lease holders, and do all your "scouting" via Ihunter...
Old 10-31-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
except the last while on here it is way more fun to bash the evil lease holders, and do all your "scouting" via Ihunter...
people just need to get out and hunt
Old 10-31-2016, 11:50 AM

Call the settlement officer if there is an issue. Sounds like The conditions need updating on the website or access should be provided if she doesn't want to update the conditions.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2016, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
whats wrong with that? they're contacting for permission and the "evil" lease holders are breaking the law
Old 10-31-2016, 11:58 AM

They can deny you access if specific conditions have been approved...many leases near the major cities have such restrictions as approved by the settlement officer to limit the amount of people who can access the lease at once.

If no restrictions have been approved, and it states no contact required for foot access...have at 'er. But I agree...maybe she was trying to do you a favor.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:03 PM

Someone is already hunting there is a common excuse used to drive people elsewhere usually because they have friends or family they would rather have hunt IMO.
When I call I am rather direct....."My name is Mike I am a hunter and I was just calling you to let you know I intend to access this certain lease on a certain day and my truck is a grey Chevy 2500"....I am not calling to ask for permission I am calling to let you know.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Yea the leasehold pays the taxes on the land and have absolutely no say. It's all about me nowadays. Then you get the ones that apply for a tag in a zone they never been to before and expect everybody to tell them where all the animals are.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:08 PM
Banned

We all pay taxes
Old 10-31-2016, 12:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
whats wrong with that? they're contacting for permission and the "evil" lease holders are breaking the law
"foot access- no contact required"...she was telling him lots of people had contacted her already, t was going to be busy.. he would "perhaps be better off looking elsewhere".. all he had to say was " i'll go in on foot on such and such a day and take my chances, thanks!" much easer though to post on here and try to create a situation where one doesn't exist.....
Old 10-31-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
We all pay taxes
Do you pay it on the leased land?
Old 10-31-2016, 12:13 PM

Maybe she is sayings it's to busy ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2016, 12:16 PM
Banned

The deal leaseholders are getting on lease land (incl taxes) is very favorable compared to renting private land or buying it. Never mind the additional surface lease revenue that some leaseholders are receiving from oil and gas development.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:35 PM

Default private land around lease

There is one thing that is driving me crazy right now and its the lease holder that have private land around a lease and deny all access to the lease land... There is so many of these land where I hunt. Some of them the condition are really over the top too. Like Contact 24 days in advance...comon
Old 10-31-2016, 12:36 PM

What I don't understand is when they say contact 2 days before and between 8am-9pm or whatever. So I'll call Thursday at 8:01 am asking for Saturday access and they'll respond; sorry to many hunters already. Firstly how did that many call within 59 seconds of my call and secondly that isn't a valid reason to deny access according to the SRD.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:29 PM

As someone else has already pointed out, perhaps she HAS been contacted by others indicating their intention to hunt that area and she was trying to be a nice "mean lease holder" and save you a trip out there.
As someone else pointed out, those other hunters may be friends/family. Or not. Either way, she did not say you "could not" hunt, she gave you additional info to help make the decision of whether you wanted to hunt with competition or not.

Believe it or not, there are actually plenty of grazing leaseholders who are not hunters, have no hunters in their family or social group & are more than happy to have someone responsible, who is cognizant of the rules, go onto their lease and take game that otherwise if left alone are perceived to reduce the available grazing for their own domestic stock.

I have a couple of relatives in Saskatchewan who lease grazing land that fall into that category, although one is less interested in having hunters on the land, the other will point out the best spots on their lease to take game based on their own observations.

The one who's less interested has reason to be; land ripped up with quads & trucks, cattle wounded two years running, etc. however they are also well aware of the laws and their lease, and will not try to dissuade anyone from hunting the lease. They do ask that they be careful that what the hunters are shooting are in fact game and not cattle, which I think is only fair.

I also find it interesting at how many here are so quick to jump on lease holders; I'm either going to friendlier areas, or doing something different, because I've never had any issues.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:35 PM

Question Difference?

Is there a difference between a grazing lease and leased crown land? ....or is it just the same thing.There is leased crown land in northern Alberta that is solid bush,so when I here grazing lease the two don't connect in my mind.

Is there a link someone can provide in regards to A lease holder not denying foot access....I've looked on wild Alberta and found some info and I'm thinking I might be looking in the wrong spot...thanks,WJ.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:52 PM

It depends on how good of buddies they are with their local lands manager.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchcraft View Post
It depends on how good of buddies they are with their local lands manager.
Nope. If the dispute does not get resolved it automatically goes up the chain from the local lands manager.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Nope. If the dispute does not get resolved it automatically goes up the chain from the local lands manager.
Been there done that, friend called the top in Edmonton and was told if they don't want you there you can't go there.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchcraft View Post
Been there done that, friend called the top in Edmonton and was told if they don't want you there you can't go there.
Ok. All the more grazing reserves for me then.