Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-28-2007, 01:28 PM
shotgun

Default WMU 406 Sheep Hunt

Anybody have experience hunting in this WMU. I have not hunted sheep in the past since nobody would go with me and I did not think it a good idea to go backcountry hiking solo. Now I have a sucker...errr buddy who has agreed to go but I need a starting point.

Any tips.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:52 PM
shortround

Never hunted down there... but I can give you one tip for sheep hunting: don't bother trying to get tips on where to go sheep hunting, especially on a public forum. The only info you'll get is if somebody's got absolutely no plans ever to go there again... like, you may get somebody saying "I used to hunt there back in '73. Lotsa sheep back then."

That just means all the sheep got shot out of there in '74 and buddy now spends all his time elsewhere.

Sheep hunting's a lot of fun, but there's no shorcuts-- get some maps, find some country, and once the snow's gone get your ass out there and try to find some sheep.

L
Old 03-28-2007, 05:59 PM
sheep hunter

LOL...but very true shortround. No shortcuts that's for sure. Wear out some boot leather and you'll find some great sheep hunting spots. Get maps, hiking books and check out every rumour you hear and you'll find a ram.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:13 PM
GRTWHT

Was at a hunting dinner a couple of weeks ago and a new guy at the table asked where would be a good spot to hunt sheep. The silence was deafining, until we all broke out laughing. The best advice at the table was much like has been said above,get out there and start hiking. I started sheep hunting about 8 years ago and had no one to ask for advice. I just started exploring and started seeing sheep (this was in the spring). From there I hiked every mountain,which I now know is not necesarily the best way to shoot a sheep. The best thing to do most of the time is sit and glass. Just put in your time and DON'T give up. I now have 2 beautiful Alberta rams which I took simply by putting in the time and the miles, making them all that much sweeter. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:50 PM
jrs

406 is not a bad area to start. I'm not as secretive as some guys (i haven't harvested a ram either but have had a few opportunities less ethical people would have taken). Just hike around and make sure you have your spotting scope and binos. I spent lots of time in 402 and its amazing how many sheep you'll start seeing when you learn the area (even if its just ewes). I have had a ton of people wear to me sheep are rare in the zone. They're always somewhere, usually not in the first or second place you'll check. Good luck and you've been warned its addictive. The best tip anyone gave me is concentrate on North facing slopes when its hot and South facing all the time, especially when its cold.

edit: my spelling is terrible lately
Old 03-29-2007, 11:22 AM
shotgun

Well thanks for the advice...or lack thereof.. except for JRS coming clean...

I am willing to put the time in and glass, hike, etc. but having never hunted sheep my plan was to pick a range and start from scratch. Just looking for a starting point is all.

Let me rephrase my question and see if it helps.

When is it worthwhile to start glassing. I know a guy could be up there all summer watching sheep but are they moving to different ranges later in the summer/fall when general seasons open and if so what type of terrain to they prefer?

As a deer hunter my whole life (one antelope) this the the year to expand my hunting horizons to all the other big game we have here.

As they say in Motown "ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no valley low enough"
Old 03-29-2007, 03:07 PM
jrs

Its definetly worth getting out in the summer. The most succesful sheep hunter i know in the southern half of the province heads out as many times as possible in late August. They will be in similar habitat the first few weeks of the season. Get out early in the morning if its really hot out, i find you'll see sheep all day but rams will head to the timber. A friend if mine scouted last August and ended up shooting a little ram on a slope he scouted early closing week. I have a tough time getting out but i also like to go in April and May when the vegetation is still sparse. This will give you confidence in what kind of sheep could show up. I'll be looking around third week of April for a few days down south, always good for photo ops and looking for a black bear as well.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:19 PM
shotgun

Thanks. I am thinking 406 since it is pretty close to Calgary and will allow for day trips for scouting, etc.

Are sheep creatures of habit like Whitetail? same routes to feed, bedding areas, etc?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:47 PM
sheep hunter

Spring and summer scouting is more about looking for sheep country than actual sheep. Learn the trails, the hidden basins and if it looks sheepy...it likely will hold sheep at one time of the season or another. Sheep hunting in 412...408...406 and 404 is a crap shoot at best but climb enough sheep valleys and mountains enough times and you will come across some rams.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:32 PM
shotgun

So you mean sitting in my truck on the side of hwy 40 Glassing the front face of the mountains won't cut it????:b

I would head further North but then I am at a disadvantage as far as time in the field goes.

If I do get one this year, I am sure you will hear about it on here.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:35 PM
sheep hunter

There's lots of guys that do kill rams glassing from Highway 40. Not my cup of tea but it is productive for many!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:39 AM
shotgun

Well I guess when there are 20 trucks spread over a few miles of road somebody is bound to see something.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:07 AM
sheep hunter

That and it's some pretty darned good sheep country.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Hoopi

Hey Shotgun:

Pick up a book called Hunting In Alberta by Jack Ondrack. I see lots of them at Wholesale Sports in Edmonton. He lists off all the important Ram ranges in Alberta he has hunted. Home of the Bighorn, written by Ken Nowicki is also a pretty good book.
And, TJ Swanky wrote a really good article in a Alberta Hunting Guide and Regulations (a couple years back) that was pretty good advice for a bigging sheep hunter. Perhaps someone would reprint that article for us here

To date I have spent a least 20 days sheep hunting and have seen only two legal rams...so don't listen to a dam thing I say because obviously I have not got this game figured out. But I loved trying to find them. I try to think of this way, each day I sheep hunt on my own, someone from outside of Canada has to pay $700 a day for the privilege.

Hoopi
Old 03-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Hoopi

Hey Sheep:

I sent a PM for you to consider,

Hoopi
Old 04-01-2007, 02:59 PM
sheep hunter

Got it hoopi......permission would have to come from the government to scan and post that article.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 AM
shotgun

Thanks Hoopi I will look for it.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:11 PM
maybe you can check out AB outdoorsmen archives

Default maybe you can check out AB outdoorsmen archives

seems to me I read a good article in the AB outdoorsmen a few years ago. I believe it was all about Alberta's most successful sheep hunting family. Don't have the article but they've taken huge rams throughout Alberta. There was a picture of the guy and his wife with an absolute monster ram that scored over 200 from wmu 406 I believe. I think the article said they had taken more book rams than any other family in alberta. Probably a good Idea to get a hold of that article, they obviously have the best tactics for cranking huge rams, thats the kind of knowledge only experienced outfitters usually have.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:18 AM
GRTWHT

Default Re: maybe you can check out AB outdoorsmen archives

If it's the same family I know about, you better grab a lawn chair and spend some time sitting by the park borders. Sorry but I have lost a lot of respect for the people I think you speak of. Might have even seen a news article in the Edmonton journal talking about how some of their tatics have landed them in trouble with the law. If you want to go on a real sheep hunt and really enjoy the country they live in, then leave the arm chair behind and start hiking and glassing. Sure makes for a more meaningful trophy if you get one by putting in some work, no matter how big it is.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:58 AM
OutdoorChet

One guy I know has hunted 406 every year for the last 25 years. He killed his first ram in there last year. Of course there are guys out there with higher success rates than that but be prepared to come home empty handed several times in there and anywhere for that matter. Sheep hunting for most people is more about the experience of the hunt itself. There are a lot easier ways to get meat as I'm sure you already know.

Sheep hunters tend to guard their spots pretty closely because most of them learned where to go by the school of worn-out-boots and they don't see why they should make it any easier for anyone new to the game. It makes it so much sweeter when you do connect by figuring it out on your own.

GRTWHT, sorry I didn't catch up with you later at the FNAWS dinner. I found your table after dinner but you guys were full eveytime I went by to do my silent auction tour. We'll have to try to meet up in Calgary some time.

Chet
Old 04-04-2007, 11:16 AM
slopeshunter

Quote:
If it's the same family I know about
Oh please don't say their name. There's already been a huge thread about them. :b :b
Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 PM
GRTWHT

Yeah that was a great time up in Red Deer. Some real nice sheep on display as well. Was surprised at how many people there were there, I heard in that 500-600 range. Will have to grab a coffee with you sometime.

Sorry slopeshunter, didn't want to start a big discussion, I'm not aware of the thread you are referring to. What one was it.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:15 PM
shotgun

Yeah I am gathering the secrecy thing. I understand that and I think once I am into it more I will be the same. It is a bit of a fraternity it seems and to get in you gotta get your first Sheep. I will get all ahold of all the books and articles I can this spring. Then a good pair of boots.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:27 PM
packhuntr

Default Re: fraternity.

My father and i, took a just legal ram, in 2004. I spotted them, and after the stalk, passed first pick and first shot to pops. Hes getting where he may not be able for a bunch longer, and im still under 30. Best shot of my life, that im happy to say, i didnt take. Greatest moment, and big game animal of my hunting career. The feeling was hard to put words to. We worked through some tough hunts, before opportunity presented itself. I know hes enjoying that ram on the wall. Hes been trying to get one, on and off, over 20 yrs. {prairie boys}. I havent been able to take one yet. Turf is the tough part. Theres lots of it, and time is hard fought for. Bighorns on a budget boys. Shes tough goin. I got another new pair of boots for Christmas. You can bet, if there is indeed, a "fraternity", i will be in soon.