Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-21-2007, 03:14 PM
shortround

Default Boating for Blackies

Well, I'm knee deep in term papers and getting ready for finals, but I've found myself unable to concentrate cause I'm thinking about getting out after my first black bear.

I don't feel like going through the trouble of baiting, and driving cutblocks and roadsides doesn't really interest me, so I was thinking about canoeing after some bears. I know Sheephunter's written a story or two about floating the Peace, but that seems like a bit of a drive. Anybody tried cruising the Athabasca? I considered the North Sask from the trunk road crossing to Rocky, but with May run-off that might be tricky, and I'd rather not dump with a gun on board.

Anybody else tried paddling after bears? Or, Sheep, do you only do it with a power boat, or have you tried it with a canoe?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:16 PM
sheep hunter

I've done several rivers out of a frieghter canoe with oars. The Smoky is another good choice.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:38 PM
baretrax

We plan on cruising the Athabasca this spring. I have a feeling that it should be pretty good seeing as our baits that are close to the river seem to be the hardest hit. At the very least, a guy should see some game and maybe catch a fish or two.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:45 PM
packhuntr

Ya, have read lots of stories about float hunts. It sounds like it would be a hoot. Wouldnt mind trying it one year. Problem is, it will probuably become a yearly, like all the other trips I cant seem to make time for. I need a lotto.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Jamie Hunt

A float trip would be a BLAST.
I have allways wanted to do one.

Jamie
Old 03-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Hoopi

Hey Shortround:

I have done a couple float trips for elk and it was great fun. (Elk=2, Hoopi=Zero) We did eat a lot of grayling and shot a wolf on one hunt who was trying to kill a calf elk...poor thing )

Anyways, in the old days floating the Peace River was a hotspot for black bears from a boat. Apparently, black bears are especially ntoicable in early spring just prior to the poplar buds coming out. Their dark coats are easier to spot without leaves on the trees. You see bear, you beach boat, you sneak up on bear, you shoot bear...its that easy

I've never done it so, it could also be a good lie told by good liars.

Hoopi
Old 03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
ex811

Did the float thing a number of times on Vancouver Island many many years ago. I never connected but others in the boat did on different occasions. Bears where easy enough to spot,stalk and shoot. We used a 12 or 14 ft aluminum 'dingy' instead of a canoe, as it accomodated our needs better, especially when we loaded a 300lb bear into it and just way more stable for a bunch of guys all excited about seeing/hunting bears. We did encounter one problem that I guess could be common...our pick up point/person. One time the road was closed...logging or blasting...and our pickup guy at to plead our case to the local constabularey to get in and pick us up. The other time the pick up guy got lost...when we finally did get out we wanted to tag him!! A great adventure, definetly worth trying.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
shotgun

Just be glad your river trip did not turn into "Deliverance"....

"you gotta purty mouth" I think maybe the last thing you want to hear.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
shortround

Cool, thanks guys. I've gotta talk my roomate into the trip -- his dad wrote the book on paddling in Alberta (literally) so he'll be useful. To be honest, I'd be just as happy to get out for a hunt, a paddle, some fishing and some whisky around a fire as much as actually shooting a bear, though if a good one comes along, I'll definitely take it. Our house needs more wall hangings.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:09 AM
monstermuley

Default I have a bit

Every year we take alot of bears on the river and man what a blast. I love getting off the road and away from the noise.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 PM
bullwinkle

Default boating for blackies

What's the strategy on the river's just float and hunt?I have an 18 ft river raft and have often thought of floating the upper smoky for bears.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:53 PM
gunslinger

Default Re: boating for blackies

jsut be aware of what your getting yourself into when floating the rivers, if you have a pick up guy thats awsome, but if you dont have a pickup guy its very easy to float your way through some shallow or rapid areas, its when its time to come home you will find its very hard to get back up the river, deffintly a jet lag for sure and if not a couple spare props incase of hitting a rock.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:06 PM
bullwinkle

Default boating for blackies

I've done lots of floats for elk and moose so the river part I'm familiar with it's just the hunting of bears itself.The raft is an oar rig so ya I just generally get picked up downstream.