Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2017, 03:15 PM

Default Out-of-province inspection shysters

My daughter took her car in for an out-of-province. It's a Suzuki with 80,000 km's on it. They told her it wouldn't pass because it had leak from the steering rack and a valve cover leak. They wanted to replace the rack. It looked to me like to oil on the rack was from the leaking engine. I replaced the valve cover gasket and shampooed everything and it all looked good.

I sold the car to another person and they took it in to a different shop for inspection and they said it needed new ball joints and they couldn't pass it!

The shops that do these inspections have you over a barrel. They have your $100 and know you cant register without their approval. It's a licence to print money and it's a joke. I give up.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:15 PM

Legal extortion. Every province does it. It probably started out as a good idea to prevent wrecked cars from one province being dumped in another. Now it is just a scam.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:53 PM

When I got posted here in 2009 I had a 2007 mazda pick up with under 50k on it.

took it in to the dealership for the OOP inspection, they said they had to do a wheel alignment "just for the numbers they said" to get the inspection to pass even though it was still under warranty and everything.

they charged me 175 for the inspection and 150 for the wheel alignment.

big chunk of change for me (I was a private at the time) and the army only reimbursed me $100

that's the last time I had my truck into a dealership.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:19 PM

Smile Sorry about your money.

On the other hand you got a cheap lesson, and you are young enough to benefit from it.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:46 PM

Another one..

Wrt utility and equipment trailers.

Applying for a VIN for a single axle trailer is $105.
A multi axle trailer VIN application is $463

Why? It's not like there's $358 worth of more numbers to punch into the iron.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
My daughter took her car in for an out-of-province. It's a Suzuki with 80,000 km's on it. They told her it wouldn't pass because it had leak from the steering rack and a valve cover leak. They wanted to replace the rack. It looked to me like to oil on the rack was from the leaking engine. I replaced the valve cover gasket and shampooed everything and it all looked good.

I sold the car to another person and they took it in to a different shop for inspection and they said it needed new ball joints and they couldn't pass it!

The shops that do these inspections have you over a barrel. They have your $100 and know you cant register without their approval. It's a licence to print money and it's a joke. I give up.
I agree with you 100%. A good honest mechanic is worth his weight in gold.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:02 PM

This issue comes up again and again. And most of the issues found with vehicles have nothing to do with safety.
I agree. It is a Government endorsed scam.
Does anyone have a copy of the checklist they are supposed to follow or do they just make stuff up?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:13 PM

Moved to northern bc for work with a still under warranty Durango i bought new in ab. Brought it to the dodge dealership in bc for out of province inspection and they said it failed because there was no bracket for a front license plate on it... I had them install one then they wanted to charge me for another inspection since it had "failed" the first inspection. Called daimler Chrysler from the parking lot and had them talk to the service department. Ended up paying the initial inspection fee plus a largely marked up plate bracket and a half hour of labour for install. Just a warmup for having to deal with icbc I suppose the next day!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:08 PM

Moved to AB from the Yukon , truck failed the out of province inspection, no license plate light $368 later ... finally made it.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:11 PM

Default Ok, I'll chime in

So I actually do oop inspections (motorcycle). I absolutely get your frustration. I have customers get irate because their minty ride fails because steering bearings are a little worn. I get that, really I do. I have a manual that says any issue with that part is a fail. Is it dangerous, absolutely not. Could I over look something like that, sure I could. Could I get caught cheating by Alberta transport, sure I could. They have ghost bikes all the time. My license isn't worth losing for some worn parts. At the end of the day, I'll fail it for major components but minor things like light bulbs, reflectors, something easy and quick to fix I fix and pass. The paperwork to fail and then repair and then pass is terrible.
Now on the flip side. You buy a blinged out Harley from outside AB, cool lights, lowered, frenched in tail lights, stretched front end. You know a well done safe streetable bike. Well I have to fail it. Lights don't pass, modified from stock front end, lowering kit, blah,blah. But a pos bike, leaking forks, wonky wheels, spongy brakes, a real accident waiting to happen. Bought in AB.Comes in for no start. Get it running customer denies any further work, gets his plate goes on his way. Makes no sense. People need to call Alberta transportation with both shops work orders and tell them what's happening. They'll investigate. The shops will get fined. People don't complain so nobody is held accountable. That needs to change. I figure if we do right by our customers, they'll be good customers and at the end of the day I feel good about the service I give and sleep well at night.
Anyway sorry for your troubles.
Tullfan
Old 02-24-2017, 08:18 PM

I have done out of province inspections in both bc and Alberta and hated doing them. They are very detailed and most vehicles fail It can be from a cracked windshield to to low of tread depth on tires I have been out of the loop for awhile so I don't know what they use now. Don't get to bent up on the garage doing it if they are following the inspection sheet. They are just doing job no different than everyone else and not all mechanics or garages are out to get you.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
This issue comes up again and again. And most of the issues found with vehicles have nothing to do with safety.
I agree. It is a Government endorsed scam.
Does anyone have a copy of the checklist they are supposed to follow or do they just make stuff up?
Out of province inspections are not safety inspections. They are an inspection to verify your vehicle meets the alberta highway traffic act regulations. Same as what manufacturers have to meet to sell new vehicles in Alberta.

If you have had an out of province done you'd have the three page checklist of what is inspected on your record of inspection. if your vehicle failed you would also have an info sheet with all the contact info for transport Canada in case you feel that you've been treated unfairly and want to dispute it.

The inspection program is very strictly enforced and they take complaints very seriously. That said there are definitely shady operationso out there. they don't tend to last very long though.

Probably the biggest red flag are the guys with ridiculously low inspections fees. it takes about 2 hours to properly perform an inspection and we charge accordingly, as do most other reputable shops. There are guys that charge half that. Ask yourself how they make money at that price.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:47 PM

I hate hearing stuff like this. I do all the OOP inspections at the shop where I work, and yeah some of the stuff on the list is pretty stupid. One thing you gotta realize is that if we get caught not calling every little thing on the list, the shop can get a huge fine. Also, they will periodically bring in "bait cars" that have a couple things on them that would cause them to fail, but you don't know its a bait car. Fail to find all the defective parts and the the shop pays thousands in fines. Our shop got hit when another guy was still doing the inspections, and he missed something.I believe it ended up costing the shop some $10 grand, or so I was told. The mechanic was also fined,not sure what that ticket cost him. So, its not just you guys who have to be careful. Every time a vehicle comes in for inspection I have to assume its a bait car, unless I know for sure who owns it. That said, I call the things I have to and the rest I will write down and tell the owner about them, letting them decide if and when they want to repair them. I can promise you I never,ever tell someone they must get some repairs done if its not necessary.I hate the idea of someone trying to screw me over, and try to treat all our customers vehicles as if they were owned by family, fix the mandatory stuff and inform them on the rest.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Banned

Oh no another butt hurt thread complaining about something they don't know anything about
Old 02-24-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyman41 View Post
Out of province inspections are not safety inspections. They are an inspection to verify your vehicle meets the alberta highway traffic act regulations. Same as what manufacturers have to meet to sell new vehicles in Alberta.

If you have had an out of province done you'd have the three page checklist of what is inspected on your record of inspection. if your vehicle failed you would also have an info sheet with all the contact info for transport Canada in case you feel that you've been treated unfairly and want to dispute it.

The inspection program is very strictly enforced and they take complaints very seriously. That said there are definitely shady operationso out there. they don't tend to last very long though.

Probably the biggest red flag are the guys with ridiculously low inspections fees. it takes about 2 hours to properly perform an inspection and we charge accordingly, as do most other reputable shops. There are guys that charge half that. Ask yourself how they make money at that price.

Very well said. I've been doing these inspections for many years. I even have a reprimand on file for correcting a letter on the VIN from old hand written forms. Vehicle passed my printing skills didn't.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyman41 View Post

OK, which is it? Is it Federal or Provincial? I bought a new vehicle in Canada in '96 and moved to Alberta in '99... why would that vehicle need an inspection before it could be registered in Alberta? And if it isn't "safety" what is the issue? By the way, it is the "TRAFFIC SAFETY ACT".

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
OK, which is it? Is it Federal or Provincial? I bought a new vehicle in Canada in '96 and moved to Alberta in '99... why would that vehicle need an inspection before it could be registered in Alberta? And if it isn't "safety" what is the issue? By the way, it is the "TRAFFIC SAFETY ACT".

ARG
It's provincial, that's my mistake. I should have wrote alberta transportation.

as far as why you need an inspection, call them and ask. 310-0000.

Also, not to split hairs but the correct document is this: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:59 PM

Default oop

friend took her car into dodge dealership for an out of province said rear brakes had to be done or she couldn't leave the steering rack leaks and the clutch had to be replaced their quote was 4700 for repairs on a 3000 $ car lets just say she bought a different car
Old 02-24-2017, 10:09 PM

I haven't been through one of Alberta's inspections, but we have inspections here in Manitoba also. Yes, sometimes the mechanics are not on the up and up. For example, I had a truck exhaust fail because it did not exit from under the truck box. I asked the mechanic what the rules were, and after he got the book out, he realized that on a truck the exhaust didn't have to exit from under the truck box (he was a Honda mechanic, they don't have real trucks). He also failed my battery clamps, one of which was 2 weeks old and had no signs of stress cracks or deformities, of course he couldn't remember why he failed them. It seems that if you yourself don't have a good idea about your vehicle or a mechanic friend to check things over, you are prime for getting raked. Lots of horror stories out there for sure.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:41 PM

Default Oop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpilefsj View Post
Moved to northern bc for work with a still under warranty Durango i bought new in ab. Brought it to the dodge dealership in bc for out of province inspection and they said it failed because there was no bracket for a front license plate on it... I had them install one then they wanted to charge me for another inspection since it had "failed" the first inspection. Called daimler Chrysler from the parking lot and had them talk to the service department. Ended up paying the initial inspection fee plus a largely marked up plate bracket and a half hour of labour for install. Just a warmup for having to deal with icbc I suppose the next day!
I moved here (BC) in 2015 from Alberta. I brought my 2012 Dodge pick me up. Told there is no need for an OOP if it is 3 years old or newer. It is supposed to be a reciprocal agreement between BC, AB, and Sask. Brought my paperwork to the people who think they are important and got my licence. Brought it to the insurance company and got my insurance.

My GF brought her 2000 Pontiac in for an inspection at a KIA dealership (first place who did inspections we came across) There was a problem with her windshield. We got it replaced and brought it back to the KIA dealer and they passed it with no extra charges. I guess it depends on who you go to - big thank you to the KIA dealership.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 02-25-2017, 06:47 AM

Default Heads-up for CT Shawnessy.

I bought a Ford Excursion (Canyonero) that was brought up from Arizona, mint body, I spent $2000 or so in parts to bring it up to spec. Took it to Canadian Tire in Shawnessy for the Out of Country and Out of province inspections and they passed it with no games. That's the second time I've dealt with that location, (Bought a set of skins last time) and both times it has been a good experience.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:59 AM

My point is that I could take the car to 10 different shops and each one would have a different list of deficiencies.

I've been building engines and repairing vehicles for 40 years and know when a part is leaking or worn. I have a feeling that if I drove a new car off a dealer lot and into one of their shops, I'd still get soaked.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Banned

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ualdec2009.pdf

Scroll way down and the actual inspection check list is on here
Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 AM
Banned

Partly it's greed, partly because of how it is set up.
These inspection should only be done by a government agency IMO.
As one mechanic I know said, as soon as you give a vehicle a clean bill of health and sign off on the vehicle inspection form you open yourself up to lawsuits if their is an accident in the immediate future...so anything the mechanic suspects gets noted. And though their are definitely dishonest mechanics I can tell you (I was a HD mechanic years ago) different mechanics will find different things depending on their skills and how thorough they are.
If it was a government inspection, with no fear of individual lawsuits they might not err so much on the side of safety.
Or of course they'd look at it as a cash cow and no car would pass
Old 02-25-2017, 09:56 AM

We're in the process of relocating back to Ontarible, and when I went in to get my 4 month old 2016 F-150 truck registered and re-plated I was informed I need a safety check and an emissions test. I incredulously asked if they were serious. I was assured they were. ITS 4 MONTHS OLD!!! I bought it new .
Old 02-25-2017, 11:24 AM

It has nothing to do with the mechanic or shop.Rake it where ever private or dealership they all have to follow the provincial standards for Out of Province inspections. Plus the mechanic is also responsible for his work .don't blame the shops blame you're goverment standards
Old 02-25-2017, 11:44 AM

The inspections should be done by a separate "inspection agency" of some sort, not a repair shop. The vehicles would get inspected by someone who has nothing to gain or lose by saying the vehicle is good or bad. You get a report explaining what needs to be done and the owner can take the car to a repair shop of their choice.

Just like a home inspector. They have nothing to gain by saying the house needs a bunch of work. They come in, tell you what needs to be done and they leave. You don't contact a home reno company to do an house inspection.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
The inspections should be done by a separate "inspection agency" of some sort, not a repair shop. The vehicles would get inspected by someone who has nothing to gain or lose by saying the vehicle is good or bad. You get a report explaining what needs to be done and the owner can take the car to a repair shop of their choice.
I agree with you there.
There was once a shop in NE Calgary that advertised the fact that they do inspections ONLY and not repairs.

I also heard of a guy who did "mobile inspections", meaning he'd come to your home and inspect the vehicle; but wouldn't do repairs unless you specifically asked him - and even then he couldn't do them right away.

I don't know if these guys are still around because I never needed inspections for a long time.

Anyone know?
Old 02-25-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post

Just like a home inspector. They have nothing to gain by saying the house needs a bunch of work. They come in, tell you what needs to be done and they leave. You don't contact a home reno company to do an house inspection.

Iirc Home inspectors have a clause that they can't be held liable if they miss something in the inspection.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-25-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Iirc Home inspectors have a clause that they can't be held liable if they miss something in the inspection.
No chance. They get sued for missing things all the time and they carry big e&o insurance because of this.