Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2017, 04:14 PM
Banned

Default Curling Question

I'm not a big watcher of Curling, but as I was channel surfing I noticed a game going on. I guess there is a Canadian brier of some sort happenning this weekend. I noticed that besides the provinces, they have a team Canada. What's up with that? Where, what, how do they pick a team Canada? Thanks
Old 02-24-2017, 04:34 PM

I think it is Team Canada from last years World's.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:36 PM

Default Briet

Last years winner becomes team Canada. Good game to try to play, the skill is really amazing and anyone can play
Old 02-24-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
Last years winner becomes team Canada. Good game to try to play, the skill is really amazing and anyone can play
Unfortunately curling is a dying sport. Thirty or forty years ago, it was very popular, but less and less people are curling every year. We used to have 12 sheets of ice going every day at the local arena, but as of a few years ago, they reduced the amount of sheets, and made part of the ice surface into a kiddies skating surface. The main curling organizations even changed the rules to try and make it more interesting as a spectator sport, but it didn't help at all.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Banned

Thanks guys. Had someone call me also. Last years winner, this years team Canada. That means this year Ontario has 2 teams in it.
If they had a bench brawl now and then, it might draw a bigger audience. lol
Old 02-24-2017, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Unfortunately curling is a dying sport. Thirty or forty years ago, it was very popular, but less and less people are curling every year. We used to have 12 sheets of ice going every day at the local arena, but as of a few years ago, they reduced the amount of sheets, and made part of the ice surface into a kiddies skating surface. The main curling organizations even changed the rules to try and make it more interesting as a spectator sport, but it didn't help at all.
Yep 30-40 yrs ago it was normal to see cigarettes smoldering in the ashtrays and a few beers sitting on the shelf at the one end that got kyboshed and now the curlers are way more athletic. I used to curl in the 90's..uh 1990's..it was great fun. It sure has turned into a BIG business now..I still like watching it time to time
Old 02-24-2017, 07:28 PM

Ont had 2 teams last year too. They argued representation per population.
Ya, Team Canada is last years winner. Team Canada has been there for a few years now, which meant one team would miss out.
So they had a pre play down with the lower teams, NT, Yk, Nunavut and New Brunswick I think.
BC would fall into this pre playdown next year based on their poor record, and NT would not need to play down by placing 6th.
but the just announced a new format for 2018.
16 teams in the Scotties next year, 2 divs of 8, lower teams incl too and a 16th team TBA, likely a winner of a tour or something.

TBark
Old 02-24-2017, 10:46 PM

The winner of the Scotties Tournament of Hearts (ladies curling) and the Tim Hortons Brier (men's curling) each become Team Canada for the next years tournament.

Chelsey Carey is this years team Canada for the women and Kevin Koe is team Canada for the men.

Ontario has had two teams in the Brier and the Scotties for many years now.

In the Brier, Team Howard will represent Ontario and Team Jacobs will represent Northern Ontario. Alberta will be represented by Team Bottcher and Kevin Koe (who normally represents Alberta) will be team Canada.

The Scotties in being played this week, and the Brier starts on March 4.

These men and women are also competing to win placing in the Roar of the Rings--which is the Olympic Trials. Side note: In the upcoming Olympic Games, there will be mixed curling added. That is teams of 2 men and 2 women. Great fun to watch!!

Last edited by I-Love-Eyes; 02-24-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:03 PM

Curling is the only team sport I watch regularly. Started about 5 years ago and although I still don't understand a lot of the srategy, the announcers do a good job.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:13 AM

Can't think of her name but the skip from team Ont made some incredible shots in the game on Wednesday.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I curled for most of my life. Enjoyed it a lot, but my knees made me stop eventually. Not sure why interest progressively died out, but I always blamed it on lack of young curlers coming up. Schools could do more to encourage kids to play through P.E. class, but of course it's up to parents to take away the game controllers.
Great game to watch on TV, if you understand the strategies.
Chelcey Carey's Team Canada was last year's champ as Team Alberta. Ontario and Northern Ontario have always had teams.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Curling is the only team sport I watch regularly. Started about 5 years ago and although I still don't understand a lot of the srategy, the announcers do a good job.
that's the Only reason I can watch it, the announcing crew is very good.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:05 PM

Default Curling

the winner from the worlds becomes Canada i believe how it works
Old 03-09-2017, 12:17 PM

Hm,
So if Norway wins the worlds they are team Canada ?, ha.
Winner of previous years Scotties or Briar goes to the worlds and is next years tean Canada rep team.

TBark
Old 03-09-2017, 06:00 PM

Default Aaahhh Yeeaaaahhhh

I miss the era of 'The Wrench' and Linda Moore back in the '88 Olympics. It was merely a demonstration sport at that time, but that was also the beginning of the end of recreational curling.

Used to be a family sport.

All one requires is a broom, shoes and league fee.

I often wonder if people are put off by the actual sport because it may appear to be easy while watching it on TV.

Apologies OP, your question was answered, I also enjoy watching the game.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
I miss the era of 'The Wrench' and Linda Moore back in the '88 Olympics. It was merely a demonstration sport at that time, but that was also the beginning of the end of recreational curling.

Used to be a family sport.

All one requires is a broom, shoes and league fee.

I often wonder if people are put off by the actual sport because it may appear to be easy while watching it on TV.

Apologies OP, your question was answered, I also enjoy watching the game.
I enjoyed curling before they started messing with the rules, with the free guard zone nonsense.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I enjoyed curling before they started messing with the rules, with the free guard zone nonsense.
The game had become a very boring trudge for both players and spectators before this rule change brought shooting skill and strategy back to the game.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
The game had become a very boring trudge for both players and spectators before this rule change brought shooting skill and strategy back to the game.
The game had become boring for the losers, and the people that didn't understand the game.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:29 AM

Once we couldn't have a beer or glass of rye while curling I knew the writing was on the wall....
Old 03-10-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Once we couldn't have a beer or glass of rye while curling I knew the writing was on the wall....
Really? Every rink we curl at, sure does not discourage the consumption.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
The game had become boring for the losers, and the people that didn't understand the game.
10 ends of peeling guards was pretty boring no matter who you were.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
10 ends of peeling guards was pretty boring no matter who you were.
And most curlers could not peel guards for 10 ends without missing or leaving a rock in play. It must have been coincidence, that the same rinks kept winning the big events.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Banned

Once they got rid of corn brooms the end was nigh.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:08 AM

The skill level of players at the provincial and national level has improved vastly because of the free guard zone rule. There are more rocks in play throughout most ends because of strategically placed guards, instead of as a result of missed take-outs. Guard-peeling is a skill not seen as often at the local club level. Harder than it looks.
The free guard zone was a European-introduced system to be used in international play that would have hopefully leveled the playing field between Canadian skills and Europeans' at the time. Kind of backfired on them.
The free-guard zone was adopted at local club level curling because it was recognized as a game strategy everyone would need to learn if they ever hoped to compete at higher levels.
The game is much better to watch, and makes the draw-making ability of front-end players more important.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:20 AM

Default Ontario and a Northern Ontario Team

It is my understanding that Ontario has two teams in the Briar not based on the province's population the rather because of the over all length of the province. While I do not know at this time the exact distance from one end of the province to the other, I do know that the distance is great.

Last edited by LSLAKER; 03-11-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
It is my understanding that Ontario has two teams in the Briar not based on the province's population the rather because of the over all length of the province. While I do not know at this time the exact distance from one end of the province to the other, I do know that the distance is great.
It's both. The two regions are the southern peninsula (kind of a line between Ottawa and Toronto), roughly, and the rest of the province, north of that, which is a vast area of less population density. I suppose travel around the Great Lakes is a factor, too.

Last edited by gunluvr; 03-11-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The free guard zone was a European-introduced system to be used in international play that would have hopefully leveled the playing field between Canadian skills and Europeans' at the time.
Not only Europeans, but the Canadian rinks that were constantly losing to the powerhouse rinks at the time. More garbage out front gives a lesser skilled rink better odds of defeating a more skilled rink.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Not only Europeans, but the Canadian rinks that were constantly losing to the powerhouse rinks at the time. More garbage out front gives a lesser skilled rink better odds of defeating a more skilled rink.

Which, in my opinion, make games more interesting.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
True...Until the powerhouse rinks perfected the art of setting up corner guards, and peeling guards, and became masters of the run-back, etc. All of which made top-level curlers even better. For the rest of us, more junk out front also made us better because we had to try to play more like them.
BTW, go Koe! If not, go Gushue!

Last edited by gunluvr; 03-11-2017 at 02:39 PM.