Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Banned

I've never seen your 3 minute fleshing job, Marty, but I have seen quick fleshing by a professional skinner who's been at it as long as you if not longer. That is the fleshing that I'm referring to. If you can flesh coyotes in three minutes and you say that it can't be done better then that's what it is. The very first thing that a grader does when he grabs a pelt is to give it a snap to hear what it sounds like. It ought to sound like wax paper rather than cardboard.

It typically takes me between 10 to 15 minutes to flesh a coyote taking my time. It's the one thing that I can control that will effect the value of the pelt so why rush it? Obviously, someone that puts up large quantities of coyotes on a daily basis can't take the the same amount of time to get things done and has to take shortcuts (ie. leave the cartiledge in) and has to do things quicker.

I actually thought that you were being sarcastic with your timings in your initial post on this thread but now I see that you are serious about them. I don't think that they very realistic for the average Trapper putting up his own fur. You don't get extra points for speed but you do for quality.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:04 AM
AO Sponsor

All cartilage needs to be taken out, 20-30 seconds. But that's not called fleshing, that's called taking the cartilage out of the ears. i always take the cartilage out of the ears in my old age, the #1 buyer in the world just happens to not like it when the cartilage remains, but surely you knew that too... Doesn't everybody?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yup, but I'm not going to do any name dropping. I got a few great tips for putting up coyotes but the fleshing done was not up to my standards, not even close. When someone takes 3 minutes to flesh a coyote, you end up with a pelt that looks and sounds like someone only spent 3 minutes fleshing it.
i too just recently watched "a professional" do a beaver and coyote skinning and fleshing demonstration. ill give him all the credit in the world, in that he was fast and knows what hes doing. that being said the fleshing job on the coyote was lack luster and nothing that i would even consider sending to auction as a finished product. the beaver was the same way to be honest. great i guess if you are custom skinning for guys and looking to move mass product but not good for quality at all. wasnt the worst that i have witnessed but i think they would def be leaving money on the table.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:40 AM
AO Sponsor

Sounds like you and Davey watched the same guy, maybe even do the same coyote and you hold the same opinion of his work. Next you pretend that all persons work is equal based on time. This strongly suggests a very small, closed and unteachable mind or at very least a mind that limits itself in learning.

I guess some people simply can't be taught new tricks, just like old dawgs? Old kiyutes?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Sounds like you and Davey watched the same guy, maybe even do the same coyote and you hold the same opinion of his work. Next you pretend that all persons work is equal based on time. This strongly suggests a very small, closed and unteachable mind or at very least a mind that limits itself in learning.

I guess some people simply can't be taught new tricks, just like old dawgs? Old kiyutes?
quite certain it wasnt the same guy, and not the same coyote. I find it ironic though that you talk about small, and closed minds, when you yourself just jumped to conclusions and accusations based on nothing more than your need to be right.
my deepest apologies Marty, i should never ever have questioned the "rockstar" himself and jeopardized the over inflated ego fed by the groupie followers!
you are a legend marty. i am just in awe at the very mention of your name! i will not let logic, common sense , or reason get in the way again.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
2.5 minutes to skin, 3 minute fleshing job even with a beam, 2 minut pail wash, and 1 minute sew job.

Easy

As

Pie
C'mon Marty, skin and flesh a coyote in 5.5 minutes? A little too much bravado perhaps? I have an open mind......Show me.

Maybe a good idea for the Ultimate Trapper contest at the next Rendezvous (RV). Take it to the next level. Make it an endurance event for the most coyotes put up in an hour. About 10 coyotes put up in an hour.......That would be something to see!

Video of 2 minute 45 second coyote skinning at the 2014(?) RV. That leaves 2 minutes 45 seconds to flesh......Easy as pie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33IKaRH9jaY
Old 02-21-2017, 03:36 PM
AO Sponsor

I do have a few guarded secrets, it's nice that the competition spends an hour per coyote. Kind of helps to self regulate some. I did show a decent local trapper once how to speed flesh and next thing you know his production doubled and his neighbours ran me off cuz "little Billy next door" was trapping.

I've actually showed lots of people at the depot. Maybe some day?

Sorry for letting you down by 20 seconds at the convention, I was trying to be fair by not raising my coyote, was using an inferior hanging technique and I cut my finger all in the 2:50, those are my excuses.