Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-18-2017, 09:49 AM

Default Vertical pin sight

Does anyone use the trophy ridge vertical pin sight i have the react 5 right now.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:58 AM

I used one for quite a while, when I first got into archery, and liked it at the time. Since then have gone to a Spot Hogg 5 pin Hunter, and really appreciate how bright the pins are with the full wrap. I also find it a very rugged sight.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-18-2017, 01:55 PM

I used one for about 3 months. I didn't really like it that much. Just personal preference, and shooting style though. I shoot off the side of the string with no peep. So I found that I was consistently hitting right or left. I switched back to horizontal pins and the problem went away! Pretty nice sights otherwise though! If you're not as picky as me, you should be able to make them work for you.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:42 PM

I've been using one for a couple years now, no issue's with it. Like it a bit better than horizontal pins, but both work fine. Wish it had a little more horizontal adjustment, as I shoot with no peep and an Anchor sight, so need some extra adjustment.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:29 PM

Thanks guys im going to stick with my react 5 pin
Now to source down a broadhead for moose and elk i want to try something different then my G5
Old 02-19-2017, 01:50 PM

Slick trick standards. 4 blade 100 gr. fixed blade heads. One inch diameter. I made a crap shot on a deer this year at 20 yards. Ended up hitting spine. One blade broke, and the impact busted the shaft of the arrow, so the insert is still attached in the picture. Ferrule does not seem bent. I'm sold on these for good now! You could always get the magnums, the cutting diameter is increased by an 1/8 inch over the standards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2187.jpg (33.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-19-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Thanks guys im going to stick with my react 5 pin
Now to source down a broadhead for moose and elk i want to try something different then my G5
I love my Montec G5s

Tried the stainless version last year, was able to get them sharper but then they rusted on me when I got caught in an early season snow storm -- rusted by the time I got home. pain to clean up mid-season

So back to the stainless model

I may try a very traditional two blade design like the Grizzlystick or Silver flame or German Kinetic

http://www.grizzlystik.com/default.aspx

pros and cons with everything though

The only thing I would not use in field are mechanical
Old 02-25-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Slick trick standards. 4 blade 100 gr. fixed blade heads. One inch diameter. I made a crap shot on a deer this year at 20 yards. Ended up hitting spine. One blade broke, and the impact busted the shaft of the arrow, so the insert is still attached in the picture. Ferrule does not seem bent. I'm sold on these for good now! You could always get the magnums, the cutting diameter is increased by an 1/8 inch over the standards.

I found the Magnums hit my riser and didn't fly as well. I'd stick with standard. I have those and grim reaper mechanicals.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambino View Post
I found the Magnums hit my riser and didn't fly as well. I'd stick with standard. I have those and grim reaper mechanicals.
Thanks for the tip, I've never used the magnums myself. But I do love the standards.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Your broadhead is crappy and fell apart and you are sold on them? I think the only ones that handle bones(which most animals need to stand up) are the grizz trick.

Get a fixed solid head that will hold itself together. Montec, VPA, Bishop, Cutthroat, exodus or shuttle T also pretty tough for blade swapper heads.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Your broadhead is crappy and fell apart and you are sold on them? I think the only ones that handle bones(which most animals need to stand up) are the grizz trick.

Get a fixed solid head that will hold itself together. Montec, VPA, Bishop, Cutthroat, exodus or shuttle T also pretty tough for blade swapper heads.
All I have to do is put some replacement blades in this head, and it should be good to go. They fly good, they're not overly expensive, and they will do some damage when put in the right spot. As a bow hunter I don't shoot at bone on purpose. I'll stick to what I like. Maybe in the future I'll try something new, but for now, slick trick gets my money.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
All I have to do is put some replacement blades in this head, and it should be good to go. They fly good, they're not overly expensive, and they will do some damage when put in the right spot. As a bow hunter I don't shoot at bone on purpose. I'll stick to what I like. Maybe in the future I'll try something new, but for now, slick trick gets my money.

So you aim for guts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
So you aim for guts?

I don't consider ribs bone....even though they are. I think he means leg and shoulder. You have to pretty much plan on encountering ribs with the highest percentage type kills shots on any game.

LC
Old 02-27-2017, 10:51 AM

I know.
I was just playing. Bear season is far away so boredom is a factor.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:16 AM

Lefty, how does say 80% of mechanicals look after you sling em thru rib cages? Just looking for your personal life experience. Just curious if EVERY head thru the boiler straight broadside should come out fine even if rib smacked in and out.

I had Magnus Stinger completely snap off/ disappear, used toxic and the head looked 100%, Montecs were just fine, just for elk in these cases.

Deer I have always had heads look same after release unless they hit stuff on other side(rock/tree/etc). And had a black bear bend the tip of a fixed blade VPA 3 blade somehow.

Also crimson talons wreak havoc on bears and mules. No damage.

Any more slick trickers or expandables?
Old 02-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Lefty, how does say 80% of mechanicals look after you sling em thru rib cages? Just looking for your personal life experience. Just curious if EVERY head thru the boiler straight broadside should come out fine even if rib smacked in and out.

I had Magnus Stinger completely snap off/ disappear, used toxic and the head looked 100%, Montecs were just fine, just for elk in these cases.

Deer I have always had heads look same after release unless they hit stuff on other side(rock/tree/etc). And had a black bear bend the tip of a fixed blade VPA 3 blade somehow.

Also crimson talons wreak havoc on bears and mules. No damage.

Any more slick trickers or expandables?
The Grim Reapers I use look like new....I treat broadhead as a consumable, once they zip through an animal they get retired.

Exit

Entrance

LC