Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=rugatika;3466692}

For those that missed Freeland's strong "offence" tactics when she was dealing on a free trade deal with Europe. [/QUOTE]

WE NEED TO HIRE DANNY WILLIAMS ASAP to re-negotiate all our deals. We hold all the cards. Make it fair for both or no deal.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
trump is not to worried about Canada's side of NAFTA since we are basically at a trade equivalent.

plus - if he tries to muck with it we have the WTO and justins legal buddies will have to defend our position. We've won most of these challenges in the past on soft woods ect ect

TBD

PS ... Canada's west should be good, as we're considered part of their (the USA's) energy security plan to be independent of MID-east oil

... however trade with ON'terrible / K-bec --- that's a different animal; as Trump's already shown is dislike for currency manipulating countries that take advantage of their exchange rates - maybe the days of the liberals running a 60 cent dollar to appease their union buddies is OVER ...

I wouldn't mind -- it'd be a good thing for helping us farmers with the soaring equipment costs !

heck any industry importing would luv to see the return of a 90 cent dollar.
Piece of cake, 6 months notification and he can pull out of NAFTA. Slap a 30 BAT on oil and we'd have no choice but to swallow it. Who else could we sell too ????
They don't need our product, the world is over supplied with oil. By the way, the US wouldn't even need Canadian oil if they decided to start buying Russian..........
Old 02-09-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Piece of cake, 6 months notification and he can pull out of NAFTA. Slap a 30 BAT on oil and we'd have no choice but to swallow it. Who else could we sell too ????
They don't need our product, the world is over supplied with oil. By the way, the US wouldn't even need Canadian oil if they decided to start buying Russian..........
Yup - and now you have significant public pressure to ease restrictions on pipeline construction to the coasts.

An economic situation would be created such that constructing refineries in Alberta makes financial sense. Lots of jobs get created to avoid the export tax.

It would push us to find new markets - as well as drive down the cost of fuel for Canadians (without a government NEP style intervention).

The market is wonderful at finding the perfect solution to what seems to be the worst of problems. If by the American's becoming more independent from imports results in Canadians diversifying our natural resource markets - that could be a great story.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Yup - and now you have significant public pressure to ease restrictions on pipeline construction to the coasts.

An economic situation would be created such that constructing refineries in Alberta makes financial sense. Lots of jobs get created to avoid the export tax.

It would push us to find new markets - as well as drive down the cost of fuel for Canadians (without a government NEP style intervention).

The market is wonderful at finding the perfect solution to what seems to be the worst of problems. If by the American's becoming more independent from imports results in Canadians diversifying our natural resource markets - that could be a great story.
Yup. I can't argue that your scenario doesn't makes sense, but what does Alberta do with the 3,000,000 barrels a day it ships to the US in the meantime???? How many years would it take to get Canadian oil to tide water ?
Yes Canada should have been supplying eastern refineries with Alberta oil since the 70's but we haven't. We've counted on sending oil south cuz it was easiest, not because we got the best price. If Trump puts a BAT on Canadian oil, it will be competing against TONS of new US oil and their need for our product will drop daily as their production ramps up. Alberta will have a product with no ability to market it for many years to come.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Yup. I can't argue that your scenario doesn't makes sense, but what does Alberta do with the 3,000,000 barrels a day it ships to the US in the meantime???? How many years would it take to get Canadian oil to tide water ?
Yes Canada should have been supplying eastern refineries with Alberta oil since the 70's but we haven't. We've counted on sending oil south cuz it was easiest, not because we got the best price. If Trump puts a BAT on Canadian oil, it will be competing against TONS of new US oil and their need for our product will drop daily as their production ramps up. Alberta will have a product with no ability to market it for many years to come.
We've "counted" on sending oil south because we could....eastern Canada would rather see tankers coming in weekly....and so would the Irvings, and Buffet will do everything he can to keep oil moving by his rail cars at an additional expense...the last thing the east or the west coast wants to see is Alberta getting oil to tidewater, lucky for them they have the lunatic left to protest for environmental (?) reasons
Old 02-09-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
We've "counted" on sending oil south because we could....eastern Canada would rather see tankers coming in weekly....and so would the Irvings, and Buffet will do everything he can to keep oil moving by his rail cars at an additional expense...the last thing the east or the west coast wants to see is Alberta getting oil to tidewater, lucky for them they have the lunatic left to protest for environmental (?) reasons
Might be all that "US funding" supporting the Green movement to prevent getting to tide water. They sure don't want to compete with Asia or the EU for the product. Now Trump may decide that it'll also cost Canada a percentage to sell to them......
With friends like that who needs enemies....
Old 02-09-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
It's true that I dislike the man. Mostly because he's crude and classless, but the fact of the matter is that he's going to screw up a lot of things that he knows nothing about. He has a lot of knee jerk supporters that admire the hell out of him and will be gob smacked when one of his pet projects affects them earning a livelihood?
Isn't that what the conversation is about????
What is so funny is that you assume he will screw everything up because he "knows nothing", yet presumably you were comfortable with Obama who knew even less. Class is not a requirement to run a country. Leadership is. Trump seems to be a much better manager and leader than Obama, and it would be surprising if the economy does not see more robust growth under his administration. Of course everyone makes mistakes and there will certainly be some failures too, but if you were paying attention to the previous clowns, things can't get worse.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
What is so funny is that you assume he will screw everything up because he "knows nothing", yet presumably you were comfortable with Obama who knew even less. Class is not a requirement to run a country. Leadership is. Trump seems to be a much better manager and leader than Obama, and it would be surprising if the economy does not see more robust growth under his administration. Of course everyone makes mistakes and there will certainly be some failures too, but if you were paying attention to the previous clowns, things can't get worse.
Seems like Obama took over office in the height of the worst recession the US had seen since the thirties, and he seemed to turn the country around during his two terms. I'm not sure what parameters you are using but clearly things were much worse prior to him getting in than they were when he left ???
Old 02-09-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Seems like Obama took over office in the height of the worst recession the US had seen since the thirties, and he seemed to turn the country around during his two terms. I'm not sure what parameters you are using but clearly things were much worse prior to him getting in than they were when he left ???
Is this guy serious???
Old 02-09-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
Is this guy serious???
Yes.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Is this guy serious???
Like a heart attack.

Trump the billionaire president of the U>S>A> who had no chance to win the election, knows nothing.

I can't believe The Donald has not had his people contact Scott h's people for advice on how to get rich and run America.

I'm Gob Smacked!!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/free...sday-1.3972686

For those that missed Freeland's strong "offence" tactics when she was dealing on a free trade deal with Europe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS5r2u61xKw

Look out Trump!! You have met your match I'm afraid. Check and mate!
Well she seems to have the offensive part down,

Now if we can convince her she needs to get her stick on the ice to be in the game, she may be around for one period.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-09-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
You miss one really big point.....Obama and his political activities were what forced the bank to issue mortgage to those that couldn't normally qualify....
And the sub-prime fiasco got its start with this....
So the mess he inherited as president was one he help create....a real irony.

Do yourself a favor....go do some indepth reading on it, before making such statements of OPINION that are so vacuous of facts.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Small fact..the USA was 8 TRILLION in debt when Obama "took the reins" and when he left office the USA is/was 20 TRILLION in debt.....a small fact I felt compelled to point out.

Quote:
Is this guy serious???
I think he is.....and also delusional as well.

FTH
Old 02-09-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Like a heart attack.

Trump the billionaire president of the U>S>A> who had no chance to win the election, knows nothing.

I can't believe The Donald has not had his people contact Scott h's people for advice on how to get rich and run America.

I'm Gob Smacked!!
Yah I know......I was expecting a call too!!!
Old 02-09-2017, 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=DevilsAdvocate;3467440]You miss one really big point.....Obama and his political activities were what forced the bank to issue mortgage to those that couldn't normally qualify....
And the sub-prime fiasco got its start with this....
So the mess he inherited as president was one he help create....a real irony.

Do yourself a favor....go do some indepth reading on it, before making such statements of OPINION that are so vacuous of facts.[/QUOTE

By in depth, I assume you are referring to FOX or Breitbart....
Old 02-09-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
Small fact..the USA was 8 TRILLION in debt when Obama "took the reins" and when he left office the USA is/was 20 TRILLION in debt.....a small fact I felt compelled to point out.

I think he is.....and also delusional as well.

FTH
You do realize that you are using the same argument about rising debt the left uses against Harper?
Old 02-09-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Well she seems to have the offensive part down,

Now if we can convince her she needs to get her stick on the ice to be in the game, she may be around for one period.
I'm fairly confident that she will be the smartest person in the room. It's Trump that should be careful of where he puts his stick.......he's got a pretty bad track record of poor choices .........
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...l-vietnam.html
Old 02-09-2017, 07:56 PM

This has gone from discussing Two politicians to absolute power trash talk, a lot if it having nothing to do with anything .
Some people just can't seem to discuss anything without slinging mud and trash
.do it elsewhere
Cat