Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2017, 11:45 PM

Default opinions on Nissan Titan xd sv diesel (2016)

The local Nissan dealer advertises titan xd diesels for 42900. Only taxes extra. No other fees. My 97 ram 2500 is getting long in the tooth and I have been thinking about replacing it for a while. Any of you have any experience with Nissan trucks?
One heck of a deal, 10k off the regular price. I'm i missing something here I wonder?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:32 AM

You might be missing something, but I doubt it. The new titans simply aren't selling at the rate they expected. I personally like the new design, although I hated it at first. It did win several awards for being best new truck, but im not sure what trim line and engine they were referring to. A couple things I came across in my research was that the XD versions do make it a 3/4 ton, but it rides much different than the non-XD. The XD has a different electronic steering system, which dampens the feel - if that's something you care about. Also the XD will have heavier rear suspension, which means a stiffer ride. But overall, the diesel is a pretty cool engine. But don't expect any better mileage than compared to the 5.6L gas engine. As long as your not buying it for that reason (fuel economy), and you like high torque, then go for it. The diesels should depreciate at a slower rate compared to the gas. The only price you have to pay is the price you agree upon plus GST. Nothing else unless there are financing fees. All-in-pricing is the law.

http://www.amvic.org/consumer/all-inpricingisthelaw/
Old 02-09-2017, 07:27 AM

I still haven't made peace with the look of them...
Old 02-09-2017, 09:47 AM

I'd buy one if I was in the market, still might if the old d'max blows up before I call'r quits
Old 02-09-2017, 12:11 PM

I considered making the purchase, however I don't tow enough to warrant the Diesel engine, not only that, but to my knowledge the towing capability is quite low for a diesel (12000lbs), if I'm to purchase a diesel truck, I want extended towing capability 17000lbs minimum. I was never a fan of Ford but after doing some research, I purchased a Ford F-150 Eco boost, it has over 12000lbs towing capability, over 3000lb payload, and with the turbo displacement, it tows strong, similar to a diesel, I am actually quite impressed with its performance. That being said I guess that what I'm saying is that I really couldn't justify the price of the Nissan diesel, when I'm getting excellent performance from my turbo charged ford!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:57 AM

Desperate times...if you can stand salesmen go test drive a Titan before next tues and get a no-catch $100 gas voucher.

You must be driving a half ton and proof of ownership/registration tho so I guess there is a catch...
Old 02-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Don't know about the new diesel Titans but I drive a Frontier gas jobber and I love it. Solid truck with good mileage.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Desperate times...if you can stand salesmen go test drive a Titan before next tues and get a no-catch $100 gas voucher.

You must be driving a half ton and proof of ownership/registration tho so I guess there is a catch...
Do 3/4 ton diesels count? I have nothing to do today and $100 of diesel would be nice...
Old 02-25-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Do 3/4 ton diesels count? I have nothing to do today and $100 of diesel would be nice...
Sure ...sorry, should have said a "min" of 1/2 ton
Old 02-25-2017, 02:53 PM

I was looking at one and took one for a test drive but after some research ended up with a low mileage 2013 F250.
Gas mileage is on the high end. Towing capacity is on the low end. The early production units have had sporadic problems with the cummins. Engine is fine but it sounds like a brain problem with regen and turbo. Also cosmetic things like doors not sealing. Do a search and you will find guys down in the states with early models that spent more time in the shop than on the road. Nissan stuck behind the product but because the engine is so new a lot of the shops do not have a diesel expert in house and were at the mercy of cummins techs being brought in. I would think the growing pains have been alleviated (with all new models of vehicles there is growing pains).

RJ
Old 02-26-2017, 08:19 PM

I paid about $63,000 plus GST for my platinum version last summer. So it's a 2016. It has been a pretty good truck. Overall mileage has been 14.2 L/100 km I am partially in city and partially on Hwy. I have had issues with exhaust leaking into cab. They attempted a fix but it has to go back again for another look as the problem is creeeping up again.

It tows nice. Rides almost as smooth as a half ton but is big to drive like a 1 ton. Lots of nice features. If you are a tech type guy then you will be disappointed in the Nissan connect function that is supposed to interface with your phone. I havnt tried it but it looks like a waste to even download the app.

Overall I like it.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock5849 View Post
The local Nissan dealer advertises titan xd diesels for 42900. Only taxes extra. No other fees. My 97 ram 2500 is getting long in the tooth and I have been thinking about replacing it for a while. Any of you have any experience with Nissan trucks?
One heck of a deal, 10k off the regular price. I'm i missing something here I wonder?
Well I bought one. 42900, SV diesel. Very nice ride . Time will tell the rest of the story. Loving it so far.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
I considered making the purchase, however I don't tow enough to warrant the Diesel engine, not only that, but to my knowledge the towing capability is quite low for a diesel (12000lbs), if I'm to purchase a diesel truck, I want extended towing capability 17000lbs minimum. I was never a fan of Ford but after doing some research, I purchased a Ford F-150 Eco boost, it has over 12000lbs towing capability, over 3000lb payload, and with the turbo displacement, it tows strong, similar to a diesel, I am actually quite impressed with its performance. That being said I guess that what I'm saying is that I really couldn't justify the price of the Nissan diesel, when I'm getting excellent performance from my turbo charged ford!
Are you sure on the 3000lb payload? Unless you have a 2wd regular cab you might want to check your numbers, im pretty sure the rest are nowhere near that. Mine certainly wasn't.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 PM

glad you like it,

me i think ill jsut go in for my 100 bucks!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock5849 View Post
Well I bought one. 42900, SV diesel. Very nice ride . Time will tell the rest of the story. Loving it so far.
That's a more reasonable price than I've seen them at. Very interesting. I might have to test one.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Please don't refer the ecoboost to towing "similar " to a diesel....lol