Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Wyoming

Wifey and I are headed out in the morning to head to Newcastle Wyoming. I had back surgery this spring and while laying around booked her a hunt. She has never had the opportunity to hunt antelope, and with the 10 plus year wait here we decided to go down there. We know that we will be surrounded with goats just hope that she can get the job done!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:18 AM

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:43 AM

sweet, please provide us a story and pics of your adventure, bucket list for sure!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:50 AM

Just got back on Sunday, I was down by medicine bow but goats everywhere. Should be a great time!

Our expectations were a little out of line for trophy quality, we glassed 30-50 bucks a day lots in the 60" range but only a few closing on 70". To get the true giants it would seem you need to be in the high priority zones.

Bucks were still rutting when we left, sure is fun watching them chase. Have fun and good luck!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:43 AM

Very good area down there a buddy has shot and arrowed some good ones in Wyoming! for a 3-4 day hunt average 1700-1900US it is a great deal very worth while if waiting 10 years in Alberta.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:52 PM

Good luck Grant hope she gets a good one Stop in at the saloon on main street in Buffalo for lunch Cool spot

Gord
Old 10-04-2016, 10:35 PM

We are real excited to get the opurtunity to hunt for an antelope for wifey! She is stoked! We hopefully will have pics later, and thank you for the good luck wishes!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Banned

Cool ... Good Luck !!!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:52 PM

Did some archery down by Buffalo WY this year. tons of fun. I know how to DIY now. I will return. Here's to good success and a nice goat on the ground. Make sure to update this thread!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Did some archery down by Buffalo WY this year. tons of fun. I know how to DIY now. I will return. Here's to good success and a nice goat on the ground. Make sure to update this thread!
What's the cost to do antelope diy?
Old 10-05-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dynamite View Post
What's the cost to do antelope diy?
Only tags, gas, food and accommodations in Wyoming. You can purchase a non res tag and go from there without host or guide. Same as buying a tag in Alberta. Only issue is that down there your pretty much limited to public land unless you want to try and source some private land which you will likely have to pay for access to. Not saying that there isn't the odd guy that may let people on without paying, but I've never known anyone whose had any success getting on private land without having to pay.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Only tags, gas, food and accommodations in Wyoming. You can purchase a non res tag and go from there without host or guide. Same as buying a tag in Alberta. Only issue is that down there your pretty much limited to public land unless you want to try and source some private land which you will likely have to pay for access to. Not saying that there isn't the odd guy that may let people on without paying, but I've never known anyone whose had any success getting on private land without having to pay.
What he said^^^
Get a good map app that shows land ownership (BLM, public and private) and you're set. It takes a trip down there to scout first though. Now that I've done it with a guide once, I'm set to DIY. can't wait for 2018
Old 10-05-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
There is so much public land in Wyoming there's no reason to pay a trespass fee. Gf' dad cousins and uncle just got back from Dubois with 5 bucks.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
There is so much public land in Wyoming there's no reason to pay a trespass fee. Gf' dad cousins and uncle just got back from Dubois with 5 bucks.
Maybe it was just in the local area that I was, but I saw a big difference in quality of goats from BLM to private land down there. There were hundreds of goats on the BLM land, but I would say the average buck was 10" or so smaller than the average on the private land. That being said though, I have very limited time down there and it may very well just have been the local area I was hunting. It was around Buffalo (me and wildwoods hunted with the same guy on different years). I think next time I'm going to explore more towards the Southern side of the state. I don't even care if I am successful or not, I just love being in Wyoming, that state is hands down the nicest place I've ever been.

Glad to hear your gf's family got some goats!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:31 PM

We've been applying for preference points for a couple years now and should draw a good trophy zone next fall with lots of public land and good trophy quality. A lot better than once maybe twice in a lifetime up here.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post
We've been applying for preference points for a couple years now and should draw a good trophy zone next fall with lots of public land and good trophy quality. A lot better than once maybe twice in a lifetime up here.
Thats a smart idea.....this year was the first i started applying for preference points in prep for a hunt in a year or 2. I drew my Alberta tag this year, but wont even bother applying here again. In the 15 years it took me to get this tag, i could probably have 3 or 4 B&C goats from wyoming on the wall if I wanted to. And really, being that im not from the South, with pre-hunt scouting trips, knocking on doors, then the actual hunt, it will cost more than my last trip to wyoming did anyway, lol.

Let me know how you make out next year!
Old 10-07-2016, 07:58 AM

We are getting closer to our destination. Stayed in Sheridan last night, and today later ( after the ball game) on to Newcastle. It has been 7 years since we were down this way and I forgot how beautiful the country is south of GreatFalls ! Saw some good bucks on the way down by Eddies Corner and Judith Basin. Good luck to everyone else down here hunting whatever!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:16 PM

Well we got to our destination on Fri. and after meeting our guide had a few cocktails and went to bed. Sat. on the road by 7:00 and into antelope by 7:15. Looked at around 250 antelope and found a nice buck for the wife to go after. And after a very short stalk she had her first ever antelope. He is right at 14 inches not terribly heavy but she was super happy and that of course is what it is all about! The accomodations were second to none as we stayed at the Flying "V" Lodge just north of Newcastle. There is a butcher shop and taxidermist right there and the hospitality was tremendous. Now we know what to expect and if we went again we could cut costs quite a bit. We drove home yesterday in one shot and it was about 12 hours. Great drive , beautiful country and no problems at the border. Trying to post a pic , hopefully!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:22 PM

IMG_2605.jpg
Old 10-11-2016, 06:26 PM

Thank you!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:28 PM

Great goat and picture , congrats to the mrs.!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:52 PM

Been waitin for this !!

Nice loper, and a nice get away as well guys..
Congrats!!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:58 PM

Awesome. Looks like a great trip. We are planning on heading down again next year. I've got enough points to draw a good unit. Love it down there, never seen so many animals in one place.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:08 PM

Yeah Brad this zone we were told that this is as good of buck as there is. Next time we will go to a better zone for quality too. We saw 8 bucks dead and they were all in the 13 -14 in range. Wifey's first so a good experience for her and next time we will both get tags! I think I need to start buying points !
Old 01-13-2017, 11:32 AM

Great goat, well done!

Recommend buying points, just a couple will give you a lot more options.