Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2017, 10:08 PM

Default Cold weather and deer

How hard is this cold weather spell going to be on our northern deer herds? The population was finally coming back but I think this cold snap is going to be hard on the bucks this year.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:15 PM

Default Deer

With the low snow levels and lots of crops laying unharvested in the fields, I believe that the deer are going to be just fine.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
With the low snow levels and lots of crops laying unharvested in the fields, I believe that the deer are going to be just fine.
X2;
As long as they can find proper food they'll be fine.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Exactly, minimal snow around here, fields have easy grazing for them, if not they would be in my yard right now as apposed to the fields, I get visitors but not as many as last year.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-09-2017, 02:11 PM

The cold really doesnt hurt them, they have fantastically thick insulated coats. Just look at the unmelted snow on their backs after a snowfall. Its the deep snow that does them in especially if we get a heavy snow in late winter. Heavy snow in March with a warm and cold spell that forms an ice crust is a real killer. Deep snow wears them down, makes it really hard for them to get to the better food and allows their predators especially coyotes to stay on top of snow and run them down.
So far this winter with the lack of deep snow in most areas the deer can easily access the alfalfa ( which thickened nicely in most areas with the wet fall) and also access the crops that had to be left in the fields due to that same wet weather. This has allowed the deer especially the bucks to rebuild their fat reserves. Lets just hope the lack of snow carries thru the winter and we should get an excellent carry over. BTW I watch 8 bucks of varying age classes and at least a dozen does and fawns
every evening and they all look in terrific condition
Old 01-12-2017, 07:16 PM

I'm worry about too, especially when this cold snap last for so long. We'll see it next year.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:30 PM

Considering deer have been living in winter conditions for 1,000's of years & through worse winters than this I would think they will pull through this no problem.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:51 AM

Not going to be good for our deer herd in southern Manitoba. Most snowfall on record for December and brutally cold. Have heard of some guys seeing dead deer already. Our herd was just starting to come back as well. I agree that if there is not to much snow and good accessible feed the deer will be fine. This is not the case where I live.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:12 AM

They'll be fine.

I saw 6 on my way to work yesterday morning (-32C) browsing the neighbours barley, in the full moonlight. Apart from being really fuzzy (fur standing up to better insulate against cold) they looked content.

If we don't get any icing, or deep snow, should be a bumper crop of 'em this spring!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:42 AM

All deer, elk, cows, horses, dogs, etc. need food (fuel) to generate body heat when it's cold. Deep snow will get them faster than the cold, of course, but part of that is with deep snow they can't find food. Give a dog good quality food and water and a dog house and they can withstand pretty much any temperature that is thrown at them (if they are acclimated to it). My dogs will eat 3 to 4 times as much in the winter as they do in the summer. Calling coyotes is much more effective when it's cold because they have a much greater need for the calories.

Deer, elk, etc. will do just find if snow levels aren't a factor. December and January are critical months for bucks as they are recovering from the rut and have run off most of their fat reserves. Bucks and fawns are usually the first to die with a long, hard winter.