Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Banned

Default Asking for list of elk problems?

I have been told by many to call fish and wildlife in the area to ask for a list of farmers that have reported problems with elk. I decided to call two offices in the WMU that I was chosen for and was given a stern no due to FOIP issues. Has anyone else come across this? Unless it was a rumour. I even asked the officer personally and he said "No comment". Is it that hard to just answer for an officer if he has seen elk personally....?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:55 AM

No government agency should be giving you the names of people they have been in contact with. Of course it's illegal.

As to tips on general areas large groups of animals (problematic or not) have been seen, I would think they could do that... unless they don't want to encourage 250,000 hunters to be calling them asking where the game is. I suspect that if you deal with the officer once or twice and learn their name, they might be more forthcoming.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
No government agency should be giving you the names of people they have been in contact with. Of course it's illegal.

As to tips on general areas large groups of animals (problematic or not) have been seen, I would think they could do that... unless they don't want to encourage 250,000 hunters to be calling them asking where the game is. I suspect that if you deal with the officer once or twice and learn their name, they might be more forthcoming.
Well I am not surprised it is illegal but as I was reading in previous posts from members, they stated that the farmers call F&W to report problematic elk, and then that info is passed onto the hunters who called in. I assume this was possible in the past but since everyone is offended by everything and scared of everyone, I am not surprised haha.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Well I am not surprised it is illegal but as I was reading in previous posts from members, they stated that the farmers call F&W to report problematic elk, and then that info is passed onto the hunters who called in. I assume this was possible in the past but since everyone is offended by everything and scared of everyone, I am not surprised haha.
We've had F&W officers give us tips on who to ask for permission in the past, but this was down around Raymond when they had some pretty bad whitetail problems down there.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:33 PM

Did you ask if you could leave your name and number with them and then they could pass it on to the farmers that are reporting problems with elk?
Old 01-11-2017, 02:05 PM

Yeah it would be FOIP, unless they left their name telling F&W to send hunters their way.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
Did you ask if you could leave your name and number with them and then they could pass it on to the farmers that are reporting problems with elk?
They didn't even want to talk about it. I guess privacy is really taken serious here in Alberta.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:49 PM

Look for fresh elk track highways...that's where the cow elk are. If you post the WMU then someone familiar with the area might be able to assist.

LC
Old 01-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Look for fresh elk track highways...that's where the cow elk are. If you post the WMU then someone familiar with the area might be able to assist.

LC
Well I don't want to ask for handouts haha. I don't want to be "that guy". The area I am hunting is WMU 523, and I have a few areas that elk have been spotted, but this was still in the rut. I may be hitting up some crown land and private farmland by Guy, Fahler and by Girouxville.

Last edited by gloszz; 01-11-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Gone Hunting

I just spent the last two days trying to locate a herd for some friends from Edmonton.
The told me they had called F&W in town and were told of one possibility. Nothing specific, just a general area to start looking in.

I wasn't much more help. I did locate four herds and obtain permission for them on three parcels of land that had Elk on them, but the last I heard for them they had walked into what I thought was their best option and they found nothing there.
I know the ELk were there earlier but they had moved.

I think it depends on which F&W office you talk to, what problems are current, who the land owner is that is complaining plus other factors.

I can see them not wanting to become information central and I find I need to be careful because some people think they can hold you responsible for their ineptitude even after you bend over backwards to help them.

They may want to avoid being sued. Yes we are not the USA, yet, but we are getting there.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-11-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I have been told by many to call fish and wildlife in the area to ask for a list of farmers that have reported problems with elk. I decided to call two offices in the WMU that I was chosen for and was given a stern no due to FOIP issues. Has anyone else come across this? Unless it was a rumour. I even asked the officer personally and he said "No comment". Is it that hard to just answer for an officer if he has seen elk personally....?
You can give them your name and number and they can pass it on to those having issues with elk as has been said.
Might be best to stop by the office rather than calling.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:16 PM

salked to the valleyview office today, she said most years when theres more snow, she would have a list of farmers that are having problems, but therese not that much snow, so she doesnt. headed up that way this weekend, regardless.. just might have to burn some boots into the snow
Old 01-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

of course its not illegal when a farmer asks for their info to be given out... give your head a shake. I guess reading is difficult for you.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:30 PM

I understand that this is not specific to the "List", but this link may prove helpful in regards to understanding the Ungulate Damage Prevention program, and requirements for compensation eligibility - and how it is tied to allowing access to hunting.

Quote:
When is a producer eligible for compensation?

An agricultural producer is eligible for compensation
  • when hay has been stacked and stored at sites that can be regularly monitored by the producer
  • when a producer has allowed access to hunting
  • when a producer has complied with recommendations made by the Fish and Wildlife officer