Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-08-2016, 11:43 AM

Default Hunter host questions

Has anyone done the hunter host thing here in Alberta ?
I have a buddy that moved to bc and I would like to bring him back to hunt with me this year. Is the prosses to do this a lot of work ? What is my first step?
We would like to hunt moose elk and deer.
Sorry if there is already another thread
Old 02-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger99 View Post
I have a buddy that moved to bc and I would like to bring him back to hunt with me this year. Is the prosses to do this a lot of work ? What is my first step?
First step is get his WIN.
Any game on a draw requires him to put in with you and the lowest priority is used [his].
There's a form from F/W and since he is a non resident Canadian, the process is fairly painless. If he was a NR alien then applications must be in before Aug.

this info is available in the regulation synopsis.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-08-2016, 12:21 PM

Awesome thankyou
Old 02-08-2016, 12:30 PM

If your not sure about anything thing call your local f and w office they are very help full. But once the person your hosting has his win card it is a very easy process.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:40 PM

Ya he just moved a couple years ago so he had it and a good amount of priority pints for his draws . Can he still put in draws for Alberta.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:41 PM
AO Sponsor

So a non resident alien can apply for draw tags if I apply with him?
Old 02-08-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I hunter host two guys every year. It is dead simple. As far as draws, yes but they are limited to only some draws. For example, can draw for antlered moose, but not cow or calf moose. The regs have a great list of all the draws they can enter as do the draw books. Might want to try pulling up last years and haveg a read through it.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
The draw options for NRA are limited to species listed in the synopsis.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-08-2016, 01:43 PM

A non resident alien is an American or anyone not Canadian. I do not believe they can apply for draws. Or maybe they can?? I hunter hosted in Alberta with a non resident Canadian. It's super painless just the tags get pricey. The host license is around 26 bucks and there's a definition that outlines the limitations of being with them.

Just make sure they apply with a resident for draws or they will not be able to acquire that license.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:20 PM

Sounds great ! Thanks . No dead lines for hosting a Canadian then ?
Old 02-08-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Sounds great ! Thanks . No dead lines for hosting a Canadian then ?
Just the draw deadline but as to hunting on a general tag, no deadlines.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
First step is get his WIN.
Any game on a draw requires him to put in with you and the lowest priority is used [his].
There's a form from F/W and since he is a non resident Canadian, the process is fairly painless. If he was a NR alien then applications must be in before Aug.

this info is available in the regulation synopsis.
How would a guy go about it with a non resident alien(american) whats the process if you wanted to go after something not requiring a draw
Old 02-08-2016, 03:33 PM

You have to get forms from fish and wildlife and have them completed by a said date to be able to hunt that year. Then report to fish and wildlife before the end of the year what was harvested.

I looked into it once for a buddy. Just a few more hoops.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I hunter host two guys every year. It is dead simple. As far as draws, yes but they are limited to only some draws. For example, can draw for antlered moose, but not cow or calf moose. The regs have a great list of all the draws they can enter as do the draw books. Might want to try pulling up last years and haveg a read through it.
Im guessing these guys are still Canadians tho , as the regs clearly state that non res aliens can only be hosted every 3 years . Also the hunter host must fill out a report at years end as to the success of the hunt whether something was taken or not .
Old 02-08-2016, 04:15 PM

Ya to what Dean said, only some of ur buddy's P points are good Ruger, bull moose and buck Mulie for sure.
And don't waste your hi P points in on his draw if he is a zero, unless it's a zone where zeros get drawn.
Just have him apply with someone else with low or zero pts, wife or someone else.
Hunter host and non res hunter do not have to be in the same draw.

TBark
Old 02-08-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Im guessing these guys are still Canadians tho , as the regs clearly state that non res aliens can only be hosted every 3 years . Also the hunter host must fill out a report at years end as to the success of the hunt whether something was taken or not .

Correct. I hunter host friends from the states every 3 years for whitetail. I can't go anymore that that without being a licensed outfitter.

1- Ruddies need a win number. AlbertaRelm for that.
2- Register them with the documentation provided at your local F&W office.
3- Both parties need to complete their section of the paperwork. Host/Alien. Paperwork needs to be handed in sometime during the summer, I can't recall at this point.
4- once everything is approved you can buy them any general tag you like. It used to be they were only allowed 2 animals. We always went Whitetail/Canine (coyote/wolf).

Not sure how much has changed in the last two years. I would for sure start with a phone call to F&W.

Another tip from a fellow hoster - If hunting on private land and asking for permission be sure to let the landowner know that you are hosting aliens. Lots of locals around here will let locals on every time, as soon as you bring in an alien they ask you stay of their land.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:15 PM

I did the HH for a friend of mine from Washington a few years back. IF I remember correctly the only thing you can apply for is something on a general season. SO it basically meant Whitetail bucks only for where we were going. THe only way he could hunt moose elk muley was through a guide with an allocation.

He was only interested in a Trophy WT and we did manage to get a 177 near Wainwright on the Battle River.

As others have said, we had to have the app in quite early for that. I believe also you can't do it for the same NRA in consecutive years but that is not for sure.

I have also done it for NR Canadian friends and it is pretty simple really. I think you just get your tag like getting a license. We had applied for the MD draw as well.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:24 PM

Default Hunter Host

Quote:
A non resident Canadian can apply for only certain draws and must apply with an Alberta resident. So for example on moose they can't apply for WMU's in 100s or 200s. So that means neither can you since they have too apply with your application. The Bison draw is a one person application so that means they are not allowed to apply for that period.

Good luck
Old 02-08-2016, 07:47 PM

I hunter host Rugersingle almost every year. He lives in BC.
It's easy, I buy my hunter host licence, enter his WIN# in the appropriate spot.
When he gets here he buys his Non Res wildlife cert, and his Non Res WT tag, and licence.... And off we go.....

Every third year however Rugersingle takes a break because my buddy from Texas comes for a deer hunt under my hunter host. That process requires early application, sworn and notorized paper work, and review by a F&W Officer before he or I are approved for our respective parts in the hosted hunt.

You can only host two hunter if one or both are family, else wise it's a onesie.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-08-2016, 08:50 PM

Not totally true Outdoorfanatic,
Unless they have changed things in past yr or so.
Non res app for his draw does not have to be with the host.
I put my non res Uncle (Ontario) in with my wife just to get his P points up.
If he gets his draw, fine, but I figured no sense using my P5 and him P2.
Don't need 2 moose tags anyways. I get my draw and he buys non res WT tag.

TBark
Old 01-11-2017, 06:28 AM

Hey guys, can you only host one person per year or can you host more than one person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 05:58 PM

Default Resident Hunter Host

I think you can host 2 Canadians per year.

My understanding is if you are 999 things it does not affect your priority count if you put in together, but if you put in to be drawn to hunt, they will go with lowest priority.

You need to "accompany" your buddy, but I think he can be dropped off at a stand and picked up later.

Check the regs.

We have done it tons and it is painless.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKGSP View Post
I did the HH for a friend of mine from Washington a few years back. IF I remember correctly the only thing you can apply for is something on a general season. SO it basically meant Whitetail bucks only for where we were going. THe only way he could hunt moose elk muley was through a guide with an allocation.

He was only interested in a Trophy WT and we did manage to get a 177 near Wainwright on the Battle River.

As others have said, we had to have the app in quite early for that. I believe also you can't do it for the same NRA in consecutive years but that is not for sure.

I have also done it for NR Canadian friends and it is pretty simple really. I think you just get your tag like getting a license. We had applied for the MD draw as well.
This is correct. I went in today (of all times for this thread to pop up), to obtain a hunter host license for a NRA. I asked the F&W officer if there was any way for NRA's to apply for a draw, and told exactly what the regs say, that they cannot apply for draws, and if they want to hunt species requiring a draw, then they have to go through an outfitter. Its different for NR Canadians, but NRA cannot apply for any draws.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:15 PM

Couldnt be any clearer than the answer provided here....

http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Non...s/Default.aspx