Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Suka

Default Landholder permission website

Hi,
Does anyone have the web address for that site where you can track down the landholder by land location to get permission?
thanks.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:32 PM
MUDDSTER

GOOD QUESTION....... I would like to find that also if there is one ????
Old 03-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Rackmastr

I beleive you'd need to look at the county maps....the only online map would be the public lands leaseholder site....
Old 03-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Suka

Default site

No, there is a site, had it written down, and lost the darn paper. Saw it I believe in a gov't ad. If I find it again I'll post it. Give's you the leasholders contact info. Came about a couple yrs ago when the gov. reminded leaseholders who really owned the land.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Suka

Default found it

Found it under public lands.
www.srd.gov.ab.ca/land/re...s/contact/
thanks.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:56 PM
bubbades

Default Re: site

try this it should get you what you want. www.srd.gov.ab.ca/land/re...s/contact/

bubbades
Old 03-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Rackmastr

Default Re: site

Suka,
Thats exactly what i said....the only ones listed are the leaseholders on the map online....no source online for private land contacts or maps that I've ever seen...
Old 03-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Suka

Default site

Guess I should have been clearer, the leasholder info on public lands is what I was looking for.
Bruce
Old 03-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Duffy4

Default Re: "permission"

"permission"

The lands division put on some "conditions" for the public to enter onto leased lands and then the lessee can put on some "conditions" and must provide contact info. Then you contact them and inform them that you are going to access the lease. You don't "ask permission".
If they say no you cannot or if their "conditions" seem unreasonable you can appeal to the Lands people and they are suposed to intervene.

Robin
Old 03-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Canmoron

If more people used this lease-holder website, and reported lease-holders who refuse access for arbitrary reasons, it would be good for all hunters seeking more public land to hunt.

Last fall I had a number of lease-holders refuse access without reason - and when pressed, for unacceptable reasons (such as 'I had problems with some hunters last year so I've stopped giving access'). I called the appropriate land manager, got fairly quick responses, and gained access.

This is public land guys, and if we follow the simple rules that look out for the leaseholders interests, there's no reason for us not to gain access to it.

Andrew
Old 03-25-2007, 11:41 PM
katts69

duffy, it is not a free for all, where the recreational user says he is going in and thats all!! he has to follow guidelines and access can be denied.
Rights and Responsibilities of the Leaseholder
Does the leaseholder have to provide access to recreational users?
As the holder of a grazing lease or farm development lease, leaseholders must allow reasonable access to the land for recreation.

Leaseholders may have legitimate concerns about some recreational use. There are circumstances when access is not reasonable and under which leaseholders may restrict access or specify conditions for using the grazing or farm development lease. Generally, this would be based on protecting the land, grazing resource, or livestock from possible damage from the proposed activity, or on the timing or season of use. The Department of Sustainable Resource Development may also add conditions or restrictions on using the land. For example, these restrictions may be placed during times of high fire hazard or to protect the land from erosion.

Under the regulations, the leaseholder may deny access, or apply conditions to access, when:

access would be anything other than foot access, including bicycles, horse or other animal, or motor vehicles;
the proposed use would occur in a fenced pasture where livestock are present or on cultivated land on which a crop is growing or has not been harvested. (If livestock are not impacted by the visit, leaseholders are expected to provide access.);
access to all or part of the agricultural disposition land has been prohibited due to a fire ban as determined by either the Provincial or municipal authority;
the proposed use would involve hunting at a location that is unreasonably close to a fenced pasture in which livestock of the agricultural disposition holder are present;
the proposed use is camping; or
the proposed use would be contrary to a recreational management plan

to many guys abuse their so called right to access the leased land. they figure it is their god given right, if they showed a little respect, the leaseholders might hold a different view.
take care, rob
Old 03-26-2007, 08:01 AM
baretrax

"to many guys abuse their so called right to access the leased land. they figure it is their god given right, if they showed a little respect, the leaseholders might hold a different view"

Not to cause an argument Rob, but this works both ways. You must be aware that there are "farmers" out there that also feel that if they lease land, it now becomes thier own personal hunting reserve. Its kind of like the way the traplines have been abused in the last 10 or 15 years. Most wont let you on saying that they have cattle/horses/sheep/chickens/whatever in the lease, and yet I have personally seen guys( hunters ) driving out of leases that I have never been granted access to.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:34 AM
gopherslayer

Default Yep

x2 bare
Old 03-26-2007, 11:24 AM
katts69

Default leases?

baretrax, i do realize it is abused by both parties. i dont want to argue either, duffy just ****es me off when he doesnt put all the info related. anyways take care, rob
Old 03-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Suka

Default access

Ya, like everything a few turds on both sides have to screw things up for everyone.
We held a sizeable lease for decades, only sign we ever had on our gates was, "Close the Gate". On my own land my answer is always, "Have fun, and Best of Luck".

Suspect from the leasholder's view a lot of it's old wives tales. We've all heard the stories of the car with the rack for sliding through fences, I've seen the 1940's picture, it was in Colorado. Far as the two americans shooting a cow thinking it was an antelope, when you hear it start asking exactly where, and who's? (since the hunter host thing now the story is 2 guys from Calgary) I've also (too)commonly seen leases used as private hunting reserves. Now That one ****es me off. You hold a lease and hunt, fair enough, you have it to yourself and your buddy opening day, I'll come back next thurs. I can live with that.

To be fair I've also seen some jerk hunters driving around guns 'a blazing, although I've never seen these types actually hit anything I have commonly watched them drive right by bedded animals. I think truck hunters not sticking to trails is about the only "bad" thing I personally have seen (some) hunters do.

My bottom line opinion on access to public lands is: hunting is Albertas form of game population contol; the province has licensed hunters to do this; public lands are just that, public, the leasholder is not really leasing the land, he's leasing the right to harvest the grass off of it; while respect is required, it should be mutual. Hunters shouldn't be made feel like beggars to access what's equally theirs. Finally, don't complain about animals in your hay or eating your pets if you don't allow access.
I can understand both sides on this one, but it's still sometimes frustrating. As usual, all I have is an opinion; if I had the answer I'd be prime minister.
my 2 cents.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Canmoron

Default Re: access

Last fall the government introduced some pretty hefty fines for 'recreationalists' (hunters) who do not follow the rules of obtaining access, or the conditions when they do get access.

But I noted that they did NOT introduce any fines to lease-holders who don't follow the rules. Lease-holders can abuse the process all they want, and only get reprimanded by the land manager if some recreationalist takes the trouble to phone them and complain.

I abuse the process and I can be fined.
Why the double standard?

Again - to preserve the right of access to public land, follow the simple instructions to gain access, and if you're turned down - get on the phone to the land manager and get them to resolve it - it's their job. If those that deny access without a bona-fide reason don't get any push-back from us - then we'll continue to lose access to public land.

For the record, I'm with Duffy on his position - we shouldn't be hat-in-hand, asking for 'Permission'. We're simply asking the lease-holder if he has any bona-fide reason for keeping us off of the land we (the public) leased to him for his specific purpose (usually grazing cattle). I don't use the word 'permission' when I'm phoning lease-holders.

Andrew
Old 03-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Duffy4

Default Re: access

katts69

"The lands division put on some "conditions" for the public to enter onto leased lands and then the lessee can put on some "conditions" and must provide contact info. "

is what I said in my post, not "a free for all".

Sorry I made you feel like "the fly that walked around the toilet bowl" (he got ****ed off too).

Robin
Old 03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
katts69

Default leases!!

duffy,

Then you contact them and inform them that you are going to access the lease. You don't "ask permission".

that is the comment that ****ed me off. you as the guy wanting to access the lease does not just say so!! there are rules and guidelines as i put in my previous post, and access can be denied with a valid reason.

i dont want this to be a ****ing match. if some guy phoned up, and wanted access to a lease that i controlled, and had the attitude that he ran the show and was going to tell me how it goes. he wouldnt get to far. these guys have to remember who pays the taxes, does the fencing, and makes the improvements!!

anyways, just my thoughts, take care, rob
Old 03-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Canmoron

Default Re: leases!!

Sorry Katts,

in the situation you outlined:

"if some guy phoned up, and wanted access to a lease that i controlled, and had the attitude that he ran the show and was going to tell me how it goes. he wouldnt get to far."

- disliking his attitude is not a bona-fide reason to deny access. Like it or not, a lease-holder does not not 'control the lease', they've simply leased the public's land for a specific purpose. If a member of the public wants access that will not adversely affect their specified use of the public's land, then the public will be granted access - if not by the leaseholder, then by the government land manager responsible. I've had to take this route on a few occassions.

I'm not saying that the hunter seeking access shouldn't be polite and respectful - of course that goes without saying. But the leaseholder can't respond with the attitude that you've outlined above and arbitrarily block access - it's not within his leaseholder rights.

Andrew