Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-27-2007, 12:22 PM
GillieSuit

Default Spring Bruins

Hey Gang,

Am planning to try my hand at Black Bear this spring. I Have a decent spot 3 and half hours North of Edmonton. However, time constraints may not allow me the opportunity to go that far.

I was wondering if there are areas within a couple hours drive from calgary worth scouting around in (I may be restricted to weekend Friday / Saturday Hunts). I am not looking for the Bear of a lifetime. At this point I will take any bear that is not a cub or a sow with cubs. (4 feet is fine with me).

I like spot and stalk hunting and this is my preferred method.

I live in SW calgary so K country (Not sure where one is allowed to hunt thought) is easily accessible and so is the Forestry Trunk Road.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Old 03-27-2007, 03:57 PM
DJ

Well I'm not familiar with the areas around Calgary but if you do get the chance to get up north of Edmonton take advantage of it.Some very big bears up there.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:10 PM
GillieSuit

Default Spring Bruins

I know the caliber of the bears in the North. I also know that my schedule might be very limiting this year. Therefore, I am trying to find an alternative in the event I can't sneak away to the land of the big boys.

As mentioned earlier any information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Old 03-27-2007, 07:04 PM
RollnBurn

I was quadding in the waiparous area this past sunday and saw my first bear of the year. I only caught a quick glimpse but it appeared to be a mature adult with a nice dark color. This was on the east side of the trunk road not far from the Waiparous river. There were also a few wolves moving around and i found three mostly consumed deer carcasses as well. Feel free to take some of them with you if you head out there for bears.

Rolln
Old 03-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Heybert

Default Bears

Go take 1A past Cochrane and turn right on to the Forestry Trunk Road (hwy 40). Go past Waiparous and the Bar C Ranch and you'll end up on the forestry. Lots of places to hunt off the forestry road. Go up Waiparous Valley Road and Hunter Valley Road. If we can coordinate, I may be able to show you around the area. I live in the deep SE Calgary. You can PM me and maybe we can set something up in April.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:42 PM
aulrich

Default Re: Bears

What about the porcupine hills
Old 03-30-2007, 08:10 AM
grandzillaa

Default Re: Bears

I know you want to hunt closer to home, but if you want a 3 day hunt then try wmu328. It is a Sunday hunting zone and there were plainty of bear in the areas I hunted last year. They were good size ones as well. Use the Sunchild road, you can reach it from the David Thompson Highway (11). Hunt to the Nordegg river bridge, and use any of the lease site roads, exspecailly the one we call (gas plant road). It is a 13kms gravel road that leads to a gas plant and it has bear on it.