Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Shedcrazy

Default Guided hunt info

I have finally got to that point that I am interested in hunting some new locations and different animals. I have noticed that many of you guys are going on guided hunts...Can I ask where you find out some of this info??? Is there a websites or services that you use to find out about some of these hunts??? When states have their draws..etc...I mean I can google a species/state and it comes up with 100s of pages....

Just curious what you guys use to hunt down these hunts....
Old 03-31-2007, 12:11 PM
Rackmastr

Really depends what type of hunt you're looking for.....several booking agents out there and several guys with just their own website if you do some searching around online for them. Look through some magazines (Safari by SCI is the best I've seen) and get some ideas. Search the net and look at booking agents (Cabelas runs a booking agency now as well) and hit up some websites with google. Check out different forums and ask lots of questions and you should do good....
Old 03-31-2007, 03:15 PM
gunslinger

Exactly what rack said it depends on what your wanting to hunt, once you know what your next adventure will be then post it on here and im sure one of us can hook you up in the right place.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:21 AM
ex811

When I decided to look into an African hunt I just went to the internet and searched 'south africa hunting'...I got about 10 zillion sites. I'd say an internet search would be a good place to start, it'll give you a great idea of what's out there. When I booked for Africa I purposly stayed away from booking agents and went right to the outfitters. I did that simply because the internet does all the searchs for you, you can find the deals out there and work out personal discounts with the outfitters.
It really is amazing what hunting oppurtunities you'll find out there using the internet.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Hoopi

Hey Shedcrazy:

Start and end here. It give you the scoop on hunting in north america and the world. If you don't beleive its accuracy, check out the information about Alberta in there. It is very accuate.

www.huntingreport.com

Your biggest risks in booking a hunt are
- hunting with a bad outfit,
- in the wrong area,
- at the wrong time of year.

I know, I have gone on bad guided hunts and I have worked as a guide for crooked outfitters.

IMO: Do your research to find a really good area first, this goes against the grain a little because "you hire a guide because you don't know the area right ?! Get on the phone the local game department and get the scoop.

Next, find out when is the best time of year to be there...We went to Northern Quebec on a guided caribou hunt, Leaf River herd, 700,000 caribou. Twelve hunters saw 15 caribou in 5 days. The problem: stationary camps...where the caribou had shifted their migration farther east. Outfitter refused to move us. The big herd was there in August, we got there in Septemeber. They had already moved on. Conclusion... could have been a much better hunt. Guess what... the references we checked told us this, we did not listen because we did not believe them YIKES!

Find the Booking agent and/or outfitter who can fulfill the first two points above. Check recent references thoroughly. If you do your research, you should do OK. Because even a average guide/outfitter can turn up game in a good area at best time of the year to be in that area.

Regardless, buy insurance on the plane ticket and the deposit for the hunt incase things go "south" on you.

Special Note: Avoid buying a hunt on price alone, an inexpensive hunt can be a disaster if you go to an area that does not have good #'s game at that time of year (or month or week) that you go. Also, a really expensive hunt is no guarantee as well, but remember that most outfitters pricing is relative to the "demand" for a particular species/time of year/ location of the hunt. Most of their repeat customers snap these hunts up well in advance. So if you book on short notice, they may only have marginally good hunts left. Book a year or two in advance to get the best times/places/guides available.

Overall, the "hunting report" I listed above condences that information for you. Follow up phone calls to local biologists and Conservation Officers can really nail things down. A good tip to hunting anywhere in North America is "draw hunts". I love draw hunts here in Alberta, they are usually way more productive and fun. I find the wait to get drawn in the best area is worth it. Having guided in Colorado,I think it works the same way in the US as well. US Outfitters (www.huntuso.com) does draws for you for a reasonable fee. They give you all kinds of good info on species and chances of success. You draw the hunt you want and they even hook you up with a guide. As an example, they have a sheep hunt in Montana that is 100% chance of success, but it will take you 20 years to draw a tag :| On the other extreme, they have antelope and deer hunts on a draw basis that would come a lot sooner.

Get a good written contract with the outfitter. This does not mean in terms of money, because going to court will not really help you with anything (bad outfitters rely on this by the way) rather, it WILL clarify/reconcile your expectations with what the Outfitter can truly offer. Outfitters are business people and if he can't deliver what you really want in the contract, he is telling you the truth. You have to decide to live with that risk or move on.

Once you get in camp, work hard, help out where it makes sence and have fun.

Sorry to whack you out with all this information, but I would hate to see you make the same mistakes I made.

Hoopi
Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 PM
gunslinger

(Once you get in camp, work hard, help out where it makes sence and have fun.)

agree with hoopi 100%, every thing he said is exactly what you want to do.

the attitude you take into camp goes along way in any hunting camp, when i go on any of the outfitted hunts in go on i go in and saddle horses , cut wood , clean cabins, whatever it takes to help out.
i have found out over the years that the more you do in camp and have fun around there, the more the camp personal and outfitter will accept and sit down and talk to you about whatever it is you want to talk about.
sometimes on days when nothign is happeing the outfitter may take you on a plane ride or jsut stuff like this.
half of going on outfitted hunts is the adventure in camp and the plane rides in, for me anyway.
best of luck on any hunts you go on.