Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Rackmastr

Default Suffield Elk

Hey Guys,
Heard a good rumour that a few zone around Suffield (148/150) are probably going to have an elk season this year. Sounds like they'll probably only open it for draw to avoid having bowhunters running around on a general tag, which will help as well.

Pretty good news that more of these zones are opening up!!! Hope the rumour is true, and it came from 2 good sources....
Old 03-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Grizzly Adams

Any chance of a tank only season?:rollin These elk were originally transplanted from the Ya Ha Tinda and one made his way far enough back, to be shot west of Sundre.
Grizz
Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Rackmastr

Haha...it would be great if they allowed the hunt IN the base, such as Wainwright....but at least having one outside the base will be nice....last I heard there was over 1600 elk in the base right now...
Old 03-26-2007, 10:19 PM
goldscud

Saw a 6x7 that was shot down there last fall. I think it was around 370. Nice horns, but the fellow said it was pretty skinny.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:23 PM
nube

Where was down there? Is there a draw already in those areas or was this poached?
Trev, you have mail
Old 03-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Rackmastr

There was a 151 draw last year....but its not right up against the park. Havent heard how it went, but a 370 is a pig if thats where it was shot....
Old 03-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Duffy4

Some time back I posted about some "proposed changes" that F&W was talking to the AF&GA about.

This was one of them. They talked about two different senarios. 1. 4 different seasons [Sept.5 to 30, Oct. 1 to Oct. 23, Oct. 24 to Nov. 20, Nov. 21 to Dec. 19th] in 148 and The same for 150 and for 151.

2. Lumping 148,150 and 151 together and having 4 different seasons (7 bull tags in each, 18 cow tags in each)

This was a proposed change at the meeting I attended in Edmonton but I am not sure I heard it at the Conference in Medicine Hat.

Robin
Old 03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Rackmastr

Thanks for the info Duffy...we'll wait and see!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:29 AM
shortround

Thought I'd toss up some photos of what's hanging around in there. These came from my uncle - last year, I think.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Duk Dog

Holy smokes!! Eventually those rag horns will make for some nice bulls. :lol :lol Great pics.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:14 PM
packhuntr

Sure hope your right Duffy, I was told the same thing last year, just no details. Cant wait to read important changes in the regs. Have been waiting for this hunt to come for quite awhile. held off for yr 1 to see what she would produce with the 5 bull, 5 cow tags. Havent heard much. But truth be told, land owners, and metis in that river country have all got large bulls in their shops. Have seen a picture of one land owner, and know who the bastard is, who has two {2}, big bulls he dumped on his stacks. Excuses rge from, need the meat, to their eating and ****ing on all my feed. Now why wouldnt these tards take a dry mule doe, if the meat is needed, or dump a cow elk if they are in the stacks. These #$%?*# shoot the big bulls. Afew of us saw this hunt coming, and have been pretty pumped about it. But watching these guys through greed, ruining a new opportunity for outdoorsman, has me some mad. This turf is shy afew big bulls because of this. Its awesome that the hunt was kicked off last fall, but havent heard much. Am sitting on a priority 7, and still not enough. Should be an awesome hunt though, for the lucky ones who pull the tags.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Cowboy Al

I also heard those rumors. (came from a credible source too) The way I see it the more hunting opportunites the better! I haven't seen any elk in my travels around there lately but I'm always looking8o
Old 03-28-2007, 07:54 PM
jrs

The elk populations are doing very good and they seem to be showing up everywhere. There was a small herd (couple cows with a bull) spotted in 130 last fall by a friend of mine and another guy hit a nice bull with his truck just North of Raymond. Those pics are really nice :eek Reminds me of my cow hunt in WMU 300 this past winter :lol
Old 03-29-2007, 08:34 AM
bullgetter

What are the chances of a guy getting permission to hunt on the private land around the base? If it's all posted land then a guy doesn't stand much of a chance.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Duk Dog

Do they move off of the base much or is it pretty much a safe sanctuary for them? Would you think hunting the base is ever an option like at Wainwright?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:15 AM
SouthAltaHunter

I have spent a couple of years working right in the Suffield block. The Elk do move out, but mostly they are always right in the block. Packhuntr is right about Metis shooting Elk there, as I have family in the area, that have land bordering the block and have seen first hand what is going on. Permision along the river in 151 is pretty tough to get, as alot of ranchers have it all tied up with outfitters, and chances are on a couple of the few bigger places you aint going to get permission on some of the better places. I have hunted 151 since 1990 and seen al the issues there with access. I seen Elk last year in 150 while hunting deer on grazing assosiation land. Including 1 awesome bull. Is it worth putting in for a draw. I would say if you have a good enough priority build, get out early and find permission prior to even putting in for the draw. While working in the block some of the Elk I have seen have just amazed me. Will post some photos later of some awesome animals from there.

SouthAltaHunter
Old 03-29-2007, 02:07 PM
packhuntr

Yes, the permission could pose a big problem on and around the Red Deer. Like SouthAlta says, its BIG, OPEN, HILLY, TOUGH country. Pre season should give you the time to deal with said issues. You will pretty much want to have some of the leg work done by the time draw results are in, if you figure you might pull a tag. I figure the biggest problems may arise with time of year the hunt is and good or bad weather. Cant do alot of pre season scouting, cause you cant access where most of the Elk are. And tough to say where will be best. Tons of things that could make a multi year tag like this, one very stressful hunt. Bottom line, I figure she could take one serious game plan.

keep a strain on er.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:46 AM
packhuntr

Got to going through maps, and the sort last night, trying to reform last years old version, into this yrs new battle plan. Once again, the plan looks solid. Normally the case, until the final hrs, when she starts going to crap, and it was pardners plan all along. There are approx 420 square miles of turf {where you may definatly find elk} from the north boundary of the block, to the triple nickle, and spanning west to east, 66 miles, across the n boundary. That is not including all the turf along the Red Deer, nor 148.She appears to be a pretty daunting task. We laughed about it last night. But prob wont be laughin once the pre season and leg work start. But there are elk in er. I will be calling the biologist in charge of the area. Talked to him last yr a couple times. Pretty nice guy. Anyone out there with priority, and lookin to take a run at these elk??
Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 AM
moosecaller

I have a priority 10, i have been waiting for this hunt for years , so I hope a 10 is good enuff, see you all out there .
MC
Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 AM
packhuntr

I was thinking about doing a float trip down the river via canoe last yr bowhunting. But couldnt scrape the time together due to other planned hunts. May be a good tactic for an early rifle hunt, if things head that direction.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:52 PM
goldscud

Default elk

The guy I talked to who shot one said the elk didn't come north to the river very often. He said it was rare for them to even cross the highway north of the block.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 PM
aka bushmaster

Default Re: elk

What would you guys say if I told you I think these elk travel back and forth from there to Wainwright area ??
Old 04-03-2007, 09:28 AM
packhuntr

Default Re: elk

Ya , I know a bunch have been heading out of dodge for a while. Theyre being seen all over. I suppose its not imposible some headed north. I live pretty close to this herd, approx 45 minutes away. For the time I spend out there, I dont see alot, but know theyre there. I have no solid answers as to where to hunt em. Goldscud may be right, though the river is where ive seen most of my elk.{ I spend more time there}. Would really like to know, if during mid to late season, and inclement weather hits,what these prairie elk do. They prob have afew options, and one may well include staying right where they are, you know, where ever that might be. Pretty hilly country some of it. I have alot of I-dont-knows. Gonna be fun tryin.