Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-03-2007, 11:31 PM
big zeke

Default Deer Mortality this Winter

I haven't made it out too much this past winter but was wondering what everyone else has seen for deer winterkills. I know the populations were quite high in most areas up north and if the snow cover was high the predation probably took a heavy toll. Likewise high snow cover can get a bit of starvation going as well.

eMail back with what you've seen (or heard)

Zeke
Old 04-04-2007, 12:20 AM
nube

I found a couple in the 4 hour shed hunt I was on
Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Chung

Our F&W officer mentioned that there would be about 50% mortality in the whitcourt area.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:59 AM
bearbait

wow who told you that???gilbertson??cant see it..i was out behind chicadee last night on the ranger and road up on 25-30 deer....50% no way...
rob
Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 AM
cmfic1

Quote:
Our F&W officer mentioned that there would be about 50% mortality in the whitcourt area.

......Where did he get this info from?

Maybe a higher % of govmnt employees, need a little more drug screening!:\
Old 04-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Chung

It was Gilbertson. It was a casual remark so I didn't dig deeper.

The total snowfall for the year was 72 inches. In Feb there was a total of 53 inches measured on the flat at the airport.
That would have a significant effect on the deer pop in my opinion. But I am not a biologist. They say it was a 35 year high for snowfall. Farther north they have significantly more snow.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:25 PM
deer

Default deer

I have been sledding west of whitecourt since january. I have only seen two dead deer with lots of wolf tracks around. Did not see any sign of dead deer or moose anywhere and we have been riding all around the west of whitecourt to fox creek. The moose we saw, their bellys were almost touching the snow, the deer were dragging their bellys though. We did not see a lot of game though but we figure the animals were back in the bush where the feed was and the snow not so deep.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:46 PM
bearbait

Default Re: deer

greg is over reacting....i would say 10-15% based on what i have seen in and around whitecourt swanhills and foxcreek....i spend alot of time in the bush and watching animals...only found one dead moose (wolfs))and 3 deer....50% of our population would be a huge loss and we would be seening them everywhere...cant wait to quiz greg on this one...hey chung u from whitecourt??do i know u??
rob
Old 04-04-2007, 11:11 PM
DJ

Ya i would agree with everyone here. I'm near Athabasca and there is no way it is anyway near 50%. I'm actually quite surprised at the number of deer hitting the fields right now. I would have thought with the snow and early cold weather the rate would have been higher but its just not so and the proof is out in the fields every morning and night going to and from work.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Chung

hey chung u from whitecourt??do i know u??

Yup from Whitecourt. Probably don't know each other. I moved to town last year.