View Poll Results: Who uses white camo on their varmint rigs
full gun camo 18 22.50%
partial gun camo 12 15.00%
no gun camo 50 62.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2007, 11:30 PM
7 REM MAG

Default Who uses white camo on their varmint rigs

just wondering how many guys use snow camo on their guns in conjunction with their camo clothing?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:53 AM
shorthair

I haven't used any camo on my rifle as of yet, but i do know on those sunny days laying in the white snow that my gun sure gives off a glare. I have really been thinking of taping my gun up with some white hockey tape, but I'm worried about the glue sticking all over the gun when I go to remove the tape. I'm curious to hear from those that do use camo on there guns and what they are using.

shorthair
Old 01-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Prdtrgttr

Not having my gun camoed has cost me coyotes. It's really that simple, if your gun glares, it'll spook coyotes. Whatever you do, don't use hockey tape on your gun. Go to UFA or a Veterinarian's supply shope and buy Co-flex bandage,also called Vet Wrap, it's cheap, adheres to itself, it's awesome stuff and will not leave a residue on your gun. You can also buy it in different colours. If you are curious, you can see how I camoed my rig, by looking at my 17 Remington in the Buy/Sell forum.
Keep stacking fur guys!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Blakeinator2

www.beartoothproducts.com/ they have 3-piece neoprene kits in snow camo, regular camo etc. for rifles shotguns etc. you can also just buy the barrel sleeve, have bought them from Russels forsure, can't remember if i've seen them at wholesales or not?

If you call the open stuff then i would say at minimum get that barrel covered up. I try to buy guns with dull matte finishes for calling whenever possible too.

However i've shot lots with shiny guns too but i try to get my butt in the shade or in some good cover...if in the wide open then keep the gun low and only pick it when your ready to shoot.

A fellow on predator masters website doesn't follow the camo game at all and kills between 100-200 a year for the fur business, he wears carthartt jacket, cowbow hat, shoots a .220 swift and is good with it to long ranges and calls strictly with a crit'r'call peewee....so its not like its necessary but it helps. So he obviously knows how to set up properly and keep movement to a minimum. Just using as an example...

I specifically remember one coyote called in to about 200 yrds with the usual rabbit blues, i lip squeaked it the rest of the way and every time i even wiggled my tikka t3 lite (black matte) the coyote stopped and looked...i held still and kept giving the odd lip squeak...but i had to wait until the coyote went out of sight before i could get the gun to shoulder. It was resting on shooting sticks with barrel in the air, i was on side hill mostly in shade up against bush, the gun barrel was in the sun and if it moved even an inch that coyote would stop and stare...so wasn't getting away with anything until it went out of sight...when it came back into view it was 120 yrds so i took her then.

I usually wear camo and feel headnet/gloves are musts and also the barrel too. I've shot lots wearing jeans with only camo up top but you have to be smart about your set up, understand how good your camo is for the spot...the weaker it is the less movement your going to get away with.

Hope that helps. Oh, and being from the Calgary area i wouldn't white camo my gun at all. I believe in lighter camo's altogether for all conditions around here...and do have some winter camo for when it is cold and snowy around here but we have lots of chinooks and no-snow periods so most of the time i'm in high plains type camo's....the gun is small enough that if you can just keep the glare off it you should be alright. If all you ever do is call in the snow then white would be great.

B
Old 01-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Ice Fishing Maniac

How about this varmint rifle pkg:

Tikka T3 Varmint HB Stainless 22-250, fluted barrel, Swavorski 3.5-10. I should of bought this rifle last season . But I want to do up a similar pkg in RealTree Winter Hardwoods dip process, rilfe, scope, rings & bases for my winter predator hunting.

I use my Sako m75 SS 243 for my predator rifle right now.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:55 PM
jrs

Default Paint

That paint job has inspired me to do the same with my 223 once my brother gets his new airbrushes. I've seen a lot of guys use paper over the barrel, eliminates the glare.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:14 PM
shorthair

I know I have blown stands because of the glare of my gun. It is funny that this topic came up because I have been looking for something to use to camo my gun with. I thought I would post what I have found and just placed an order for. It is called Gun Wrap and I found it on Cabelas Site.

I noticed 5 review comments and all gave it 5 out of 5.

shorthair
Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 PM
7 REM MAG

yeah i just bought some vet rap for my 22-250, try to ignore the finger on the right side,i just cant fiqure out how to cover up the reciever etc with out blocking the action, and i dont want to paint
Old 01-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Prdtrgttr

7mm, if you want to cover the receiver, run some wrap length wise, you may want to split it for this, then wrap around the gun with thinner strips, to secure, use hockey tape over the vet wrap. With a little creativity, you'll get her done! Let us know how you make out!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Redfrogoutfitters

Yep!!
My wife camos my guns.

This one is done to match my snow ghost camo. She did my swift to match my ghillie suit.
It does make a difference
Old 01-25-2007, 03:13 PM
7 REM MAG

looks good, she do anyother guns?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 AM
camo guns

Default camo guns

7Mag. Yes she does. She uses duracoat paint. Strips the gun down and airbrushes it.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:25 PM
nube

Default Re: camo guns

It looks great redfrog. If she does them to make a few bucks I would like to know how much? Send me a Pm if you want orpost it here. I think a few people would like something like that if they didn't dare do it theirselves.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 PM
camo

Default camo

I can't get the pm feature to work.:rolleyes

My email isredfrog@xplornet.com
Old 02-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Wild Bounty

Default Re: camo

Redfrogoutfitters, you are blessed! Your wife does awesome work. I would like to give this a try too, how do you make a pattern? or what is it you use?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:24 PM
skills

Default skills

Yes she has skills.:eek

She free hands the pattern. Send me an email and I'll get her to tell you all about it.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:02 PM
DUKE

Default Re: skills

Yep i do alittle paint,
Old 03-28-2007, 11:31 PM
STWMAN

All the varmint rigs look sweet, but by the time the yote
realizes my rig is not camo'd he's doin the chicken on the
ground. :lol Doin it K-9 style.

Just like the old saying:
If you miss the first shot
empty the clip.....
Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Blakeinator2

Duke...very original! I like it!

B
Old 04-02-2007, 12:49 PM
lgu5

anyone know the name of that company at the sportsman show with the paint and patterns that u buy from them??? it looked like a awsome alternative