Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2012, 08:09 AM

Default Winter truck grills

Was having a debate with my buddy yesterday whether or not switching the grill on the front to a winterized version (no holes) was better for your truck. I said yes, he said no.

I figure im going to stick cardboard behind it just to prove to him he's wrong.

What you internet people think?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:19 AM

On a diesel yea, they are needed. Winter of 2009 it was -50 in north Dakota and i didn't have a winterfront on, truck wouldn't heat up enough to keep keep the frost off the windshield, I could see my breath in the truck for the whole 2 hour drive. When i got to the gas plant I got some card board and put it in there, the difference was night and day
Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 AM

Even with the grill covered on a diesel it still runs below normal operating temp on cold days, -20C and colder. Have to tarp in the bottom of engine from bumper back to retain heat.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 AM

Depends...

Yes it can help the motor & interior heat up faster, BUT couple things..

-motors love cold air.. cold air = more power
-heavy loads/towing, I'd advise against covering the whole front end you may overheat. Especially if you forget you have the front covered on one of our chinooks while you are towing.

- I honestly think the only time it really matters is when -10C to -40C driving at highway speed, or when there is a good wind chill. That is when you want a cover front end.

(You'll notice most of the semis who put the leather rad cover on, rarely have it fully closed in. There's usually a diamond or triangle opening left open.).

I personally don't cover mine. Although I did on an older car (80s) in the winter.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:43 AM

I cover the grill and bumper holes on my diesel truck (solid stainless inserts), but I don't put cardboard right on the rad, thats too enclosed IMO, for southern AB anyway.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:50 AM

We tarp our diesels bumper to transfer case, as well as use a leather or cardboard cover over the rad. Changing to a hotter thermostat helps as well.

It all depends on which end of the province you are dealing with.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Depends...

- I honestly think the only time it really matters is when -10C to -40C driving at highway speed, or when there is a good wind chill. That is when you want a cover front end.
Windchill does not affect inanimate objects. It shouldn't be included in temperature calculations of vehicles and such.

I cover my diesel with a dodge winter cover. It covers the entire rad and intercooler, etc. It really helps with the city driving. I have found if you're stuck in traffic on a really cold day, I can watch the temp gauge start to drop because the engine is just at an idle and not moving. The cover really helps with that. I agree with highway usage, you should have holes to allow for some airflow.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 PM

If you have holes in the cover in front of the fan, please ensure they are on opposite sides and equal sized , as they load the fan differently if they are not, and new plastic fans tend to fly apart over time if unequally loaded.
Diesels mainly stay cool because of the volume of air moved through them, unlike gas engines which usually ran at a vacum, turbos (gas)excuded of course. Sum oems will say completely covering the rad and aftercooler are not recommended ,but if you idle lots you will require it to be closed completely
Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinegar View Post
Was having a debate with my buddy yesterday whether or not switching the grill on the front to a winterized version (no holes) was better for your truck. I said yes, he said no.

I figure im going to stick cardboard behind it just to prove to him he's wrong.

What you internet people think?
Like mentioned depends on a couple thing a winter grill with smaller holes is goog but I never liked completely stoping air through the rad with cardboard.....much to easy to over heat.