Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-26-2018, 08:55 PM

Default Tree Stands VS Blinds opinions

Hi all,
Looking for some input or opinions on tree stands or blinds. I usually hunt whitetails in areas where fields and open areas meet patches of forests, and thought it may be beneficial to set up a ladder style tree stand. I have never used one but heard good things about their use.
Anyone use them? Opinions? Thoughts? And just make it more interesting, what are your thoughts on using the pop up style camo blinds (tent style?) ?? One a better option than the other?

Just looking for opinions and feedback from folks who have used them and if you were successful.
Thanks all !
Old 05-26-2018, 11:15 PM

I prefer tree stands to blinds as your movement is less noticable to the deer. I also like being able to watch where they come from and go. Sometimes in the blinds you have to be pretty zoned in on where they are coming from. Just my opinion
Old 05-27-2018, 12:17 AM

Default A bit of both

I'd say I prefer to be on the ground usually.
I do use treestands for bow hunting,but only in prime locations that I have a lot of faith in.I hunt from the ground with bow as much or more,either S&S/stillhunting or from crude blinds.I don't use pop-ups,I make ground blinds from camo netting or burlap and/or just natural materials(spruce branches etc) often just carve out a quick blind under a spruce tree in 5 minutes,esp when rifle hunting.Im more of a run n gun/stillhunter type,always gotta see what's over the next ridge,rattling/calling from different locations etc....again,I'll often make quick 5min groundblinds for run n gun style rattling with my folding saw,or often as not simply sit still on a stump/deadfall/seat cushion up against a tree trunk.Movement(or lack thereof) is far more important then full concealment imho.
Rarely ever use treestands when I'm hunting with rifle unless it offers a clear advantage of being able to see farther,over top of bush,standing crops,regen clearcuts etc.
I don't like being pinned in a tree so much,sometimes wether Bow or rifle ya need to be able to move a few feet to make a clear shot,its almost impossible to climb down from a tree undetected in most scenarios when that buck walks past just out of range,from a ground blind you can adjust your position much quicker and stealthier.

Last edited by West O'5; 05-27-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:13 AM

If humans were meant to sit in trees, we would have been given clawed feet and wings (or monkey arms) !!!

However, there is a good reason owls sit in trees and on power poles,,,, it's a great vantage point to spot your prey from and then ambush them.

Just wish I could feel more comfortable up in a tree,,, but for me, I like the security of my feet on good old mother earth,,,, and have killed enough critters (with bow, muzzle loader and rifle) from ground blinds that I don't feel left out!!!
Old 05-27-2018, 06:19 AM

Killed an awful lot of animals from a pop up ground blind... Justsayin. I have been in all manner of treestand, some I was thankful to make it out alive from. Gravity and I are no longer good friends, so I would not go in a treestand any longer. However, I would go in a ladder stand, and some of them look awful comfy. Whenever I think of buying one, I read about someone getting theirs stolen. The thing about the pop ups is you can set your gear up and they provide shelter from the elements.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:10 PM

I've shot more deer out of expedient ground blinds than from tree stands and they're not as cold either
Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 PM

They both have their place. Blinds need to be set up well ahead of the season and brushed in very well. Fabric is reflective and looks unnatural regardless of pattern. Obviously warmer. Wear all black inside to blend in with the shadow, bare skin or camo anything moving inside looks like a bright light. Test it out yourself. Also, clear the area inside down to bare dirt to avoid noise.

Tree stands *usually* work better for bowhunting, as you can see the animal coming from farther away and get prepared/plan your draw/pick your window. They can also be set up and hunted immediately, as they are (should be) out of the animals line of vision. Any time in the stand below -20 really sucks.

My preference is the tree stand, but I’ve killed a pile of white tails both ways. Mostly depends on the location.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 PM

tough one. out of my 2 tree stands, we've taken 4 bull elk (bows). I've shot lots of whitetails both with bow and rifle. We've had wolves and griz as well as lots of other critters come under our stands. I've also shot elk deer and pronghorn out of ground blinds (mainly natural ones). I ahve to give the edge to tree stands. Almost unfair to the animals.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:14 AM

Thank you all who have shared info on this.
I only rifle hunt to clarify, and mostly walk around and sit in natural blinds, such as under trees, behind bushes, etc.
I do like the idea of hunting from a stand but it would definitely need to be hidden really well so it doesn't get stolen, since most of my hunting is on grazing leases.
One more question, would it be best to set it up and just leave it, or is it viable to set-up everytime I get to the spot?

Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2018, 08:19 AM

Climbing stands go up and down easily, sometimes finding a good tree in the right spot is a challenge. I have the lightest climber on the market and it's still not easy to carry with all the other gear needed. Add to that that rifle season I sin the colder part of the year and you need to carry extra clothes to sit in the stand without freezing and walking in without sweating up .... But! A stand way up in a big spruce sure does let a feller see for a long ways. There's no good answer to this.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Thank you all who have shared info on this.
I only rifle hunt to clarify, and mostly walk around and sit in natural blinds, such as under trees, behind bushes, etc.
I do like the idea of hunting from a stand but it would definitely need to be hidden really well so it doesn't get stolen, since most of my hunting is on grazing leases.
One more question, would it be best to set it up and just leave it, or is it viable to set-up everytime I get to the spot?

Thanks again!
You don't want to be setting it up every time you hunt....or at least I certainly don't.If you are worried about theft,again,a 4x10 piece of commercial camo netting/blind material runs around $30 bucks.....burlap and a black paint spray bomb costs 1/2 that.....spruce branches are free,stealthy and quiet to harvest with a folding saw for instant/on the spot 3 minute blind builds when you find a spot that just begs to be sat for a few hours.
Chef summed it up,depends on location wether I'm gonna set up a cloth blind,a 5 minute brush blind,hang a stand,or just stump sit?
I will say however,when I go to the trouble of hanging a stand 1) it's because it's THE SPOT on the spot and 2)I have a ton of faith and high hopes with very encouraging sign under/around it, and 3)I tend to have a lot more patience and will sit longer sessions if I've gone to the bother of hanging a stand vs. ground sitting with not much invested into it and because (see 1&2) it's a damn good location or I wouldn't have hung a stand there.
Also note,if you are rifle hunting in the bush,ie;a stand of aspen or mixed conifers/hardwoods....no matter....more often then not you can see better/farther/more lanes from the ground then if you were up in a tree in the same location,and again,just a step or two sometimes is all you need to open up other shooting lane(s) when a buck is slipping by that you would have no chance at from a tree.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:58 AM

I disagree that blinds need to be set up well in advance. I have had success, very often with a blind set up that day.

Advantage of a tree stand is visibility, but that sword cuts both ways. You are a very visible target yourself. Fidgeting can get you busted. I have never been so cold as when I am in a tree stand (which I have never been successful from)

Advantage of a ground blind is shelter
From wind, rain and movement as well as Hunter comfort. Proper chair, a heater, snacks...
Old 05-28-2018, 09:08 AM

I have 10 ladder stands set up around my property and ground blinds I find myself mostly sitting in natural blinds and I've had more success from them.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Climbing stands go up and down easily, sometimes finding a good tree in the right spot is a challenge. I have the lightest climber on the market and it's still not easy to carry with all the other gear needed. Add to that that rifle season I sin the colder part of the year and you need to carry extra clothes to sit in the stand without freezing and walking in without sweating up .... But! A stand way up in a big spruce sure does let a feller see for a long ways. There's no good answer to this.
Exactly my situation as well!

My only gripe about my blind is that there are blind spots - but it has allowed me to get the kids out hunting without giving our position away.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:23 AM

Well, I think you guys swayed me towards a blind haha.

Lots of good points about sight line limitations and the cold. On top of that, the ability to stay a little out of the elements and stay a bit warmer in a blind is a bonus. If I went a stand, I would be only using a ladder stand as I don't like the other climbing peg stands, don't like heights too much and a ladder feels safer for me to climb.

So far, this is what I see:

Tree stand

PROS:
-Good vantage point
-Out of animals sight line
-Can be set up and left if not worried about theft

CONS:
-Colder when sitting up there
-Limited sight line and therefore limited shooting opportunities
-Heavier than blind
-No room for additional gear

Ground blind

PROS:
-Lighter than tree stand
-Protection against weather elements
-Easier and faster to setup
-More sight lines available
-Will fit 2 people for around same $$
-More comfortable, can setup a chair and even heater inside
-harder for animals to see you inside
-Room for additional gear

CONS:
-Limited view, not as high as a stand
-May need to be setup before season
-Stands out more
Old 05-28-2018, 11:34 AM

The pop-up blinds they have sections where you can cut branches off and weave them into the blind to make it pretty invisible

Old 05-28-2018, 11:35 AM

Also if there's bears in your area they do like to mess up your blinds if you leave them out

Old 05-28-2018, 11:55 AM

I use both hang on treestands and ground blinds. You see more and easier from a treestand but when it gets cold in November sometimes its a real endurance test to stay in stand longer. Also when platform frosts or ices up they can get very slippery and dangerous. I like hanging in spruce if available for background coverage or clump of close together poplar to break silouette.
Ground blinds keep out the wind and rain and are warmer and I find really mask movement if you stay back from the window opening. I have put in a little buddy heater when cold to take the bite off cold. You do need to set up earlier. Make sure to clear out the grass and debris from floor area and make sure to brush them in well. Also check the height of the blinds. They come in varying heights and some are designed more for the rifle hunter and are too low for a bow. Make sure your bow clears top from sitting position. Same with the windows. Depending on your shooting style some blinds the windows are a little too high and arrows will hit the bottom material of window. I like barronette blinds as they have several models you can stand in and have corner windows that come way below midline of the blind.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Well, I think you guys swayed me towards a blind haha.

Lots of good points about sight line limitations and the cold. On top of that, the ability to stay a little out of the elements and stay a bit warmer in a blind is a bonus. If I went a stand, I would be only using a ladder stand as I don't like the other climbing peg stands, don't like heights too much and a ladder feels safer for me to climb.

So far, this is what I see:

Tree stand

PROS:
-Good vantage point
-Out of animals sight line
-Can be set up and left if not worried about theft

CONS:
-Colder when sitting up there
-Limited sight line and therefore limited shooting opportunities
-Heavier than blind
-No room for additional gear

Ground blind

PROS:
-Lighter than tree stand
-Protection against weather elements
-Easier and faster to setup
-More sight lines available
-Will fit 2 people for around same $$
-More comfortable, can setup a chair and even heater inside
-harder for animals to see you inside
-Room for additional gear

CONS:
-Limited view, not as high as a stand
-May need to be setup before season
-Stands out more
From experience using both, I am of the opinion that some of your pros/cons are out of whack...

There is more sight line/shooting radius in a tree stand than from a ground blind because you cannot have all of your windows open. Doing so will allow animals to see you if you are between two open windows even with the screens installed. WT are leery of ground blinds........they will peer into the dark screened/opened windows. Wear dark clothing inside a blind.

Tree stands are not heavier than ground blinds. The opposite is true. Ladder stands are another story...

Setting up a tree stand is different than setting up a ground blind. Doing it properly, one is not going to be set up any faster than the other.

I would always drift towards using a tree stand, given an adequate tree, suitable weather.

I use a blind in the absence of trees for sure. Works great on antelope.

The biggest con using a tree stand is that vision goes two ways........if you can see them they can see you. Drawing on an animal without being detected is more difficult from a tree stand. Beware of all motion and noise you create...
Old 05-28-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
From experience using both, I am of the opinion that some of your pros/cons are out of whack...

There is more sight line/shooting radius in a tree stand than from a ground blind because you cannot have all of your windows open. Doing so will allow animals to see you if you are between two open windows even with the screens installed. WT are leery of ground blinds........they will peer into the dark screened/opened windows. Wear dark clothing inside a blind.

Tree stands are not heavier than ground blinds. The opposite is true. Ladder stands are another story...

Setting up a tree stand is different than setting up a ground blind. Doing it properly, one is not going to be set up any faster than the other.

I would always drift towards using a tree stand, given an adequate tree, suitable weather.

I use a blind in the absence of trees for sure. Works great on antelope.

The biggest con using a tree stand is that vision goes two ways........if you can see them they can see you. Drawing on an animal without being detected is more difficult from a tree stand. Beware of all motion and noise you create...

All good points CNP!
Regarding the weight....I was comparing a ladder stand as that's what I was intending to buy. When I compared the stand and blind I was looking at, it was 53 lbs vs 18 lbs.
It looks like overall the ground blind will better suit my needs and will be more useful as my wife sometimes comes along and when my little guy grows up, he will be coming with me as well, so I think a blind will be better when having a kid around (and safer).
I was really set on a stand but the opinions above and things I haven't considered before/or didn't know about, made me sway towards the blind more.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:30 PM

I'm going for the best of both worlds this year, I built a 8ft x 8ft platform 25ft off the ground in some trees. I have a big pop up blind on it overlooking an intersection of several game trails. Only problem is now I'm somewhat committed to this spot.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:16 PM

Ground blind for those cold windy days , contains scent and keeps you out of the elements
Old 05-28-2018, 07:28 PM

My ground blind is a small shovel an 8x10 piece of ASAT cammo fabric and two 20' pieces of paracord. Total weight 5 lbs? I've never used a pop up blind, they seem heavy to me but I bet they're toasty warm
Old 05-28-2018, 07:33 PM

I've owned/still own(?) a climber.Thing must weigh 30lbs?I packed it into the woods EXACTLY ONCE,lol..... about a mile and a half up an old faded trail on a hardwood ridge on CFB Gagetown about 10 years ago,sat in it off n on for 3 seasons hunting a buck I called The Bogmonster(Otanabog Stream).....,it's still there today hidden under a deadfall I'm sure...I've been in AB 7 yrs now.
If I ever hunt there again in my life it'll be there,unless somebody reading this in NB wants it,I'll text ya the co-ords,free stand in excellent WT /moose/bear location to CAF members or any other local that hunts on base.
Ol'Boggy's grandsons are still running that ridge I'm sure,ya could do a lot worse for deer hunting spots in NB.😉

Last edited by West O'5; 05-28-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:39 AM

Although I prefer to walk around, I often set up the blind just in case I have a rough night or the weather is crappy. It's nice to hike in, sit down in a comfy chair out of the elements, with a Mr. Buddy heater of course. I do find it limiting in regards to vision, I'm always jerking my head around trying to see thru the windows. Good for napping when things are slow
Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 AM

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a blind at Cabela's yesterday, $130 on sale, not bad. Looking forward to trying it out. This one looks pretty good and has good reviews, also has silent windows, no zippers or velcro so it should be better than many others, guess we'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (52.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-29-2018, 09:40 AM

How do you access the inside if there's no zippers or Velcro

Old 05-29-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
How do you access the inside if there's no zippers or Velcro

You have to lift it to get in.

Kidding....
The doors are zippered I believe, and its the windows that are silent to open, no zips or velcro on windows.

"Herter’s Ground Blinds allow a 360-degree view of your surroundings and silent shooting access. The independent mesh and panel window covers slide smoothly and silently, ensuring stealth when an animal presents a shot – no noisy zippers or Velcro® to spook your prey. Spacious five-hub design ensures quick, easy setup and takedown. It has corner door zips open for easy access. Its 150-denier polyester resists light rain.
Camo pattern: True Timber Kanati
XL hub-to-hub dimensions: 72"W x 68"H. Weight: 18 lb."
Old 05-29-2018, 10:24 AM

Okay that makes more sense I usually have some beeswax in my pack for zippers they make them last longer

Old 06-01-2018, 02:58 PM

Deer:
Archery - stand
Rifle - blind

Moose:
Neither/or.
Burlap sounds like a good idea though!

Bear:
Preferred: a chair, 8 yards from the bait. No blind, no nothing.
Until your heart rate hits 300 and you decide that's enough! Then...
It doesn't matter, archery or firearm:
I've only had most success from a stand personally.
this year I'm trying a pop up blind because contrary to a lot of arguments above, they are WAY lighter and easier to get into location than even the simplest of tree stands. Whether or not the blind makes the season is a different story. Not very durable.