Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 10:37 AM

Default Horseback Prairie elk hunt

With the lack of elk left in the foothills and mountains, I am considering a southern AB Prairie elk hunt instead (maybe 102?). Has any one on the forum done this, or have any input towards access, chance of success, and which season to enter. I understand that most won't want to divulge that info on a public forum, but since it's a draw tag there should be too much worry about the zones getting over ran with hunters. A PM would also be great. Thanks in advance.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-24-2018, 12:33 PM

Have you seen how many priority points you need for 102?
Old 05-24-2018, 03:57 PM

Lack of elk in the mountains???? Try the porcupine hills now that it is FLUZ you will enjoy your horseback hunt. I bet half as many hunters show up now that you can’t drive off the designated trails.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:34 PM

I should have enough points to draw a tag whenever I decide to go. That's why I'm doing some research as unless things change, I'll likely only get one more shot after this tag.

The FLUZ areas west of Rocky have less game now than when the quads were allowed in there. I've spent about 20 days in the Willmore and saw one mule deer and 2 moose. On a fly in hunt north of Smither's, we saw a couple of moose and 3 caribou. It's predators, not people killing ungulates in the foothills and mountains.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-24-2018, 07:57 PM

On horseback access shouldn't a problem as long as it not to dry
Old 05-24-2018, 08:46 PM
Banned

Plenty of elk in wilmore and surrounding areas lol 102 is amazing country though I have family down that way
Old 05-24-2018, 09:29 PM
Banned

you plan on packing? might run into some headwind with landowners if you're going to camp out there. better have your horses legged up; that's big country.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:42 PM

That's actually a hell of an idea, to do horseback.. I'm gettin' up there with my Elk priority again, hunted Cypress area many years ago (albiet that-one wasn't on horses) but it's nice country down there, big, lots of cattle. I might look into something similar next time I pull a tag.

Would be curious to hear how you make out if you're able to put that together
Old 05-29-2018, 03:24 PM

Be very mindful of quicksand in the rivers and if you see a sink hole don't ride up to take a look, they tend to be bell shaped underneath. Other than that as suggested long legged horses as that is bigger country than you'd think.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
With the lack of elk left in the foothills and mountains, I am considering a southern AB Prairie elk hunt instead (maybe 102?). Has any one on the forum done this, or have any input towards access, chance of success, and which season to enter. I understand that most won't want to divulge that info on a public forum, but since it's a draw tag there should be too much worry about the zones getting over ran with hunters. A PM would also be great. Thanks in advance.
I'm thinking of doing the EXACT same thing.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:54 AM
Banned

I wouldn’t waste my priority points on 102, I’d be looking at 108 there are some good Elk in that zone.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
I wouldn’t waste my priority points on 102, I’d be looking at 108 there are some good Elk in that zone.
No good bull elk in the prairies anyways is there?
Old 06-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
should have been around here a few years ago when the first couple of seasons were opened in 108.......hogs! not so much anymore, as they have a hard time hiding out in the open prairie, and are hunted hard every fall. they've really been picked over in the last few years, though still quite a few mediocre ones around.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
should have been around here a few years ago when the first couple of seasons were opened in 108.......hogs! not so much anymore, as they have a hard time hiding out in the open prairie, and are hunted hard every fall. they've really been picked over in the last few years, though still quite a few mediocre ones around.
I was lucky to draw a tag in the first year (third season) for 108. Amazing time to be around that zone and in the first few years I saw a TON of great bulls including a 387-389" bull alive a couple days before he was taken. I had some great hunts out there and you never knew what you'd come across!! Truly amazing country as well.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I was lucky to draw a tag in the first year (third season) for 108. Amazing time to be around that zone and in the first few years I saw a TON of great bulls including a 387-389" bull alive a couple days before he was taken. I had some great hunts out there and you never knew what you'd come across!! Truly amazing country as well.
Yep. All very true. Keep an eye on the weather down there, though. It can change real quick.
Right, Rackmastr?
Old 06-01-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
Yep. All very true. Keep an eye on the weather down there, though. It can change real quick.
Right, Rackmastr?
Haha so true!!!
Old 06-01-2018, 11:54 AM

A couple of years ago a member posted pictures of his journey onto the prairies with a team and wagon. I think that would be more comfy than a saddle horse. No camp to really set up...bed & breakfast in the covered wagon.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-01-2018, 08:13 PM

Search .... Antelope hunt old time
Old 06-02-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
A couple of years ago a member posted pictures of his journey onto the prairies with a team and wagon. I think that would be more comfy than a saddle horse. No camp to really set up...bed & breakfast in the covered wagon.
THAT would be such a cool/unique hunt!! 😎
Old 06-04-2018, 12:20 PM

I friends and relatives with teams and rubber tired covered wagons that I could borrow for this type of hunt. I had ruled it out earlier as I thought access would be near impossible since I don't know anyone down there, and I would have been happy just to get foot access and permission to use horses to pack an elk out. Camping out with wagon would be a great way to spend a week on the prairie.

I think I need to do some more research and put this off for another year. I don't want to blow a once in a lifetime hunt, as it will likely take a P20 or more to pull an elk tag anywhere desirable once the Suffield draw tags become less available.

Gerry Burnie
Old 06-04-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I friends and relatives with teams and rubber tired covered wagons that I could borrow for this type of hunt. I had ruled it out earlier as I thought access would be near impossible since I don't know anyone down there, and I would have been happy just to get foot access and permission to use horses to pack an elk out. Camping out with wagon would be a great way to spend a week on the prairie.

I think I need to do some more research and put this off for another year. I don't want to blow a once in a lifetime hunt, as it will likely take a P20 or more to pull an elk tag anywhere desirable once the Suffield draw tags become less available.
Don’t give up your dream of a 102 bull, I live in 108 and if I hadn’t pulled my bull tag a few years ago I would be hunting 102 for sure.
Pm me for more info if you want..

Jim...
Old 06-09-2018, 10:30 AM

I did an antelope hunt in 102 using horses. It was a lot of fun and we covered a lot of ground. The pronghorn did move away from riders on horses but not running. I think they were somewhat used to cowboys moving cattle. Elk we saw were in the breaks of the Milk until near dark when they moved out. Getting a bull up out of the coulees could make a horse quite useful. As an aside, when you tell landowners that you would like to ride in to hunt, they tend to see you differently from the average drive-in hunter and you are more likely to receive a warm welcome. Something about the old west and appreciating hunters keeping the horse culture alive.

Lee