Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-24-2020, 01:35 PM

Default A400 Vs Silver Field

Before you say "about a grand", here me out.
I'm the type of shooter that can get decent on just about any gun after some effort. My winchester SXP field has been working for years but I am looking to get into a semi. I was looking for an A400 (strictly based on reviews) but seems they've gone up about $300 in the last few years.
I also noticed the Silver Field which is about $1100 less.

I put through about 10 boxes of target load and 2 or 3 of #4 per season. Is the $1100 for the A400 worth it for what seems like a bit less recoil? I see comparable reviews for both. Do you prefer one over the other? (Taking price into account)

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2020, 02:03 PM

They fit very differently, one will fit you better than the other.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:24 PM

Default shotguns

For the amount you think you may use it, it is hard to justify the difference.
BUT, the only way to decide is to try them both out (usually someone will have one or both at the local range).
As Elk mentioned, and for myself as well, the gun is useless if it doesn't fit properly. I also know from experience, that fit effects recoil, and why take a gun out and beat yourself up with it, just to save money? I want to enjoy my time out at the range, and not worry about flinching when I raise my gun to shoot at a flushing rooster.
Of the two guns, I only have experience with the A400. The only semi that I own. I really wish that all my guns had such light recoil(mine has the "kick-off" recoil system), and I shoot a lot of sub-gauge guns as well! A real pleasure to shoot, and I shoot it well. It probably only gets 3-400 rounds a year, and most of those would be 3 or 3 1/2" goose loads.
I once did a trip to Argentina where we set up a day shooting doves. Because of importing problems at the time, none of us could bring our own guns in, and had to rent from the outfitter. I would generally make a similar claim as you did, that with enough practice, I can make any gun work. Well brother let me tell you, that even after 500 rounds, I was struggling to try and hit anything with that ill-fitting gun. I did not enjoy the day I had paid for and flown half way around the globe to do! I cant imagine saving a few bucks to be frustrated every time I went to the field or range either.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
BUT, the only way to decide is to try them both out (usually someone will have one or both at the local range).
As Elk mentioned, and for myself as well, the gun is useless if it doesn't fit properly. I also know from experience, that fit effects recoil, and why take a gun out and beat yourself up with it, just to save money? I want to enjoy my time out at the range, and not worry about flinching when I raise my gun to shoot at a flushing rooster.
Of the two guns, I only have experience with the A400. The only semi that I own. I really wish that all my guns had such light recoil(mine has the "kick-off" recoil system), and I shoot a lot of sub-gauge guns as well! A real pleasure to shoot, and I shoot it well. It probably only gets 3-400 rounds a year, and most of those would be 3 or 3 1/2" goose loads.
I once did a trip to Argentina where we set up a day shooting doves. Because of importing problems at the time, none of us could bring our own guns in, and had to rent from the outfitter. I would generally make a similar claim as you did, that with enough practice, I can make any gun work. Well brother let me tell you, that even after 500 rounds, I was struggling to try and hit anything with that ill-fitting gun. I did not enjoy the day I had paid for and flown half way around the globe to do! I cant imagine saving a few bucks to be frustrated every time I went to the field or range either.
Exactly, I don't care how much you try and adapt to a shotgun that doesn't fit you, you will never shoot that shotgun to your potential.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Thats a great response, thank you. To be entirely honest I was planning on clicking buy on the A400 on Cabelas the other day. Unfortunately I don't actually hunt with anyone that shoot a silver field. A couple guys shoot Benelli's and my brother has the A400 which I really like. Really, i'm looking for someone to tell me that the A400 isn't worth the extra grand but don't know if I will get that here haha.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:00 PM

I have a browning silver which I consider to be my go to waterfowl gun. I Have only used the silver for waterfowl hunting and are happy to report never had any operating problems nor has Recoil been noticeable. It Fits me great, the synthetic stock & operating system takes any abuse that happens on goose hunts. I would highly Recommend. They occasionally come on sale, with a pretty good discount, and a browning rebate.

I do have an older beretta Model 301 which I retired after some 40 +/- yrs of waterfowl hunting, and which has been an excellent shotgun, but not really comparable to an A400. I Have not shot the A400 plus, but did handle one in the gun store & it felt very good. Beretta shotguns have an excellent reputation.

I have many other shotguns (a number are much more expensive than the Silver) to choose from and Which I Do use for my upland hunting and sporting clays, but the Silver is my first choice for waterfowl. It fits me well, has been absolutely reliable, and recoil is not a factor.

While Purchase price maybe a factor, it should not be the primary reason for your choice. As others said pick the one that fits you.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:30 PM

I have shot the A400 and it is a great shotgun. I ended up purchasing a Silver Hunter as it fit me better. Both are fine shotguns. Buy the one that fits.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I have shot the A400 and it is a great shotgun. I ended up purchasing a Silver Hunter as it fit me better. Both are fine shotguns. Buy the one that fits.
This--I have had both---the Browning was nice, but didn't fit right
Old 08-24-2020, 11:40 PM

I just bought a Beretta A400 Extreme Plus with the Kick-off stock. I've been shooting a Beretta 391 Sporting Clays gun for 17 years with zero problems, but tried out a friend's A400 Extreme Plus w/Kickoff and liked it a lot.

I broke a 24 on skeet on my first round with the A400...missed the first target underneath. 23 on the second round. Anyway, they are a good shooting shotgun, but not one I'd want to carry in the uplands behind the Vizsla. I'll take my light 16 ga SxS for that every time.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:19 AM

Buy once, cry once. I really liked the benelli m2? Ended up with a winchester sx3 which fits, is light and nimble!

It is very similar to a browning silver?

Best recommendation is to try them all out. Some have wide and loose forearms, (browning maxus) others tighten on with the nut and are more slim.

There will be certain models that stand out from the rest.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
This--I have had both---the Browning was nice, but didn't fit right
Well I guess consensus is buy both and leave the one you don't like in the safe. Kidding.. but anyways i'm going to order a Silver Field for opening day and see how it works out. At the rate the prices are climbing I should be able to get my money back next year if it does work out. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentinroof View Post
Thats a great response, thank you. To be entirely honest I was planning on clicking buy on the A400 on Cabelas the other day. Unfortunately I don't actually hunt with anyone that shoot a silver field. A couple guys shoot Benelli's and my brother has the A400 which I really like. Really, i'm looking for someone to tell me that the A400 isn't worth the extra grand but don't know if I will get that here haha.
I certainly really like my A400 Unico. I don't have the kickoff recoil system, but still don't have any issue going and shooting a hundred or two rounds at clays. It's a nice gun and doesn't beat me up, and I even bust clays with it sometimes...

I'm learning. I got mine on sale at Wholesale a few years back, all in was under $1500....worth it. I don't know what they go for now, but still worth it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-26-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I certainly really like my A400 Unico. I don't have the kickoff recoil system, but still don't have any issue going and shooting a hundred or two rounds at clays. It's a nice gun and doesn't beat me up, and I even bust clays with it sometimes...

I'm learning. I got mine on sale at Wholesale a few years back, all in was under $1500....worth it. I don't know what they go for now, but still worth it.
I can find used A400 Lites for around 15-1800 but a new Xtreme Unico is 23-2400. It'd be worth buying one just for the investment!
Old 08-26-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentinroof View Post
Well I guess consensus is buy both and leave the one you don't like in the safe. Kidding.. but anyways i'm going to order a Silver Field for opening day and see how it works out. At the rate the prices are climbing I should be able to get my money back next year if it does work out. Thanks for the input.
Have you shouldered the Silver to see if it fits?
Old 08-26-2020, 07:56 AM

A350X on sale tomorrow--$1249 after rebate
Old 08-27-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Have you shouldered the Silver to see if it fits?
No I didn't. Its difficult for me to get into the city so the majority of my shopping is online now so I ordered it and just hoping for the best. I'll let you know if I skunked myself, should be a couple days until it's here yet.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:18 AM

X2 for the A400. I have a 20 gauge and is now my go to for all types of shoots, pheasant, clays and even geese. You will shoot all day and never feel a things, great firearm.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:41 AM

I love my A-400 Xtreme Unico for waterfowl...took a lil bit to get used to it and playing with the stock spacers to fit me, but it is so soft shooting and swings very well.....My 870 has now become a safe queen.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 09-03-2020, 10:18 AM

If you liked the A400, check the gun listings here or on Canadian Gunnutz, you can often save.

I bought an A400 brand new from Dante Sports last year for $1400. It was a black Extreme. The new ones are the Extreme Plus which have a rubber pad on the cheek piece, larger bolt release and I think a more beveled loading port, otherwise exact same gun. I figure Dante bought a bunch Stoeger was clearing out to make way for the Extreme Plus.

Check around, there may be hidden bargains out there.

Also, the Winchester semi is supposed to be decent. I had a co-worker whose Benelli broke down and to avoid missing goose season, he bought a Remington Versamax. He really liked it.

YMMV.