Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Default New hunter looking for some tips

Hey guys, I'm new to hunting (having started bow hunting last year, and bought my first rifle for the upcoming season) and I'm looking for tips on how to find good places to hunt. last year i ended up hunting a cut line between two properties which didn't want anyone on their property. For this year I'd like to find somewhere a little more friendly. Any tips would be appreciated, and if you have info you don't want to broadcast feel free to msg me personally. Also, tips on WMU's good to find elk in.

Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:32 PM

I hope by "cutline" you don't mean an oil/gas pipeline ROW or an actual exploration cutline?

Pipelines and most other ROWs that cross private lands are not public access, not crown, and still allow the landowner to restrict access to all but company employees.

As for finding places to hunt, the farther you get from Calgary, the easier it will be to gain access on private lands. I would start with an hour at highway speed. Not saying that there is no access close to the big smoke, but it will be easier convincing landowners that you won't be a problem if you get away from everyone else.

Your other option is crown land - i.e. forestry land, though this option is usually much more crowded, and the same rule applies: the farther you get from Calgary, the fewer issues you are going to have.

When it comes to elk, there are lots of places all up and down the foothills and mountain zones. Get out before light and stay out until the sun has long set - watching and listening, and spend the rest of your day hiking back off the roads looking for sign. Don't be surprized to find elk sign right close to ranches and roads, but it is almost certainly nocturnal activity. Expect to be a minimum of 1.5km or more away from all roads and fields before you find any daytime beds (always exceptions to the rule).

Your scouting should have begun about 2 days after the season closed last year, but you still have lots of time. Spend your weekends and days off checking out new country, walking into new valleys, following unexplored creeks, and following any elk tracks you find until you start seeing beds, etc. Then you should be in a good position to find elk once the season opens.

If you don't bow hunt, mule deer and elk are a great reason to start.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:15 AM

thank you for the ideas pudelpointer. The area I was hunting was a strip of land allotted for power lines that separated two properties owned by different people. It was shown to me by a seasoned hunter who said it was a good place to start so I trusted him. I was really only there out of desparation in the first place because I didnt know where else to go. Hopefully I wasnt doing anything wrong. As far as crown land goes, I dont know how to find it. also im having troubles figuring out how to gain permissions on private land
Old 05-08-2011, 06:48 AM

Good advice to get away from the big city. My advice would be to get a map showing landowners and identify some nice looking hunting areas and then stop by farmers houses and ask for permission from them. Make sure you get out before harvest when they arent as busy in the summer. You might get a few no's, but you will probably get some yes's and alot of times they will point you in the right direction and tell you when and where they see the animals most often.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 AM

To further Crew's suggestion, each county/MD produces a "land owner map" - usually yearly. These maps show landowner's names for every 1/4 section in the county. You can buy them from the county administration offices, and some private dealers - look up "maps" in the yellow pages.

As for getting permission, you can try phoning, but I would highly suggest putting your hat in your hand and go knock on a door or two (or hundred). Nothing like face to face contact IMO for beginning a relationship.

And don't just blurt out "I seen a huge buck over there, you mind if I come back in couple month and shoot it in the face?"

Start your conversation like all other Canadian strangers do: the weather. Then go from there. Ask about their operation; how many head, what crops they have in this year, how's life? Some people are all business, but I like to meet people and find out a little about who they are. You would be surprised to know the hunting/fishing info I have been volunteered over the years, from complete strangers I stopped to BS with.

Remember, people (in AB at least) are generally genial and polite, and will often go out of their way to help anyone/everyone. Take advantage of that fact, just don't abuse it.

ETA, and look presentable. If you have a jacked-up 4x4 with half naked women fornicating with large snakes painted down the side, borrow your wife's / mom's / friend's Tercel or Jetta or mini-van to do your scouting and visiting.

Don't smoke, unless the landowner sparks one up. Don't have a half dozen beer cans roll out of your cab when you open your door. Take a minute to pet the farm dog or cat (they always need some attention).

And if you just naturally look like a meth addict, maybe shave and shower and wear some decent clothes - Value Village has pants without holes for $5.

Last edited by Pudelpointer; 05-08-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned

Default Great info, access is a big hurdle for newbies

I too am struggling with how to identify the correct areas / access / rights. Being 'new Albertan', it often all looks like a lot of field to me, but I respect that it must belong to someone, fenced or not - but how to tell and who's?
I've seen real estate ads that have the kind of maps spoke of, does anyone know anywhere on the 'net where one could get these?
Any suggestions for the Lethbridge area (and willing to drive/hike!)
Thanks!
Old 05-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Here is a link for Public Lands Recreational Access to Agricultural Public Land Contact and Access Condition Information. Click "Reconnect" to get to the map.

http://xnet.env.gov.ab.ca/imf/imf.jsp?site=rec_access
Old 05-08-2011, 12:27 PM

youre hilarious pudelpointer.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallahalaviktor View Post
youre hilarious pudelpointer.
He is trying to give you the best foot forward in your endeavors to hunt, short of taking you by the hand and introducing you to some strangers that can turn into friends.
Remember these people (farmers ) are typically more conservative than city folk. the lip piercings and mohawk look just doesn't have much appeal to them. You really don't get a second chance at first impressions.
Good luck with the hunt for hunting access
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 PM

Default Get Away from the Roads

Hi Valhalla,

A good place to start would be on the Crown lands, but try to get as far away from the road as possible. That's what I did my first time out.

Most hunters will not hike in very far and so the further you go in the better your chances. When walking in, always turn around every so often and look from where you came. You'd be surprised at how differently things can look when you're trying to find your way out.

While hiking in away from the road is great, you'll have your work cut out for you getting the meat out, so bring a game cart and drop it off somewhere in between.

When you go in that far, always carry a map and a compass. GPS units are good but if the battery dies you're in trouble. I had to drive one hunter 20 miles back to his camp after his GPS died. He had no back up navigation system and spent a day and a night completely lost in the bush.

Always carry a survival kit, knife and extra water and food with you. You never know when you'll have to spend an extra night or two in the bush. That goes for toilet paper. Wiping your backside with dry leaves is not an enjoyable experience. I like the wet wipes, but beware in cold weather as they can freeze solid. Trying to wipe you behind with frozen nappies is not pleasant either.

Always, always carry enough matches and extra lighters so that you can start a fire if you end up being stuck in the bush.

Consider getting some form of emergency satellite communication system. They're around $300, but will allow some contact between you and home, and are literally life-savers should you hurt yourself in the bush.

When in Grizzly country, you need to realize that you are not at the top of the food chain. Be bear smart. I personally never walk through dense brush, lest I accidentally startle one while he or she is feeding.

Get a book on bear attacks and learn how to avoid the beasties.

Lastly, buy good clothing and boots. They'll be worth every penny.

Hunting is a GREAT activity, just play it safe and be sure to come back to hunt another year.

Cheers,
EH
Old 05-13-2011, 06:07 PM

thanks elk hunter 55, do you know how to get access to crown land? i have gotten a couple land ownership maps and there is quite a few crown land lots but most are inhabited by a large company for grazing land or whatever. how do i get permiassion to hunt there?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallahalaviktor View Post
thanks elk hunter 55, do you know how to get access to crown land? i have gotten a couple land ownership maps and there is quite a few crown land lots but most are inhabited by a large company for grazing land or whatever. how do i get permiassion to hunt there?

You just gotta go ask. Some see these lands as public (which they are) so they just "tell@ the lease gilder that they will be access the land. This may or may not work.

The lease holder is legally obligated To allow access as long as you follow the rules and there is no "valid" reason why it would not be safe to do so.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 PM

Smile Pudel's right!

If you knock on a few doors and don't scare people, I've even helped change a tire, this will work and it will last for many years!

One friend I made was a 7th. day adventist, I didn't know that they were almost vegetarians, but this family was and we were offering to share our geese that we had shot on their land.

She asked me which one she should pick from the ones proudly displayed on the tail gate and I whispered, "The one that is plucked!"

When we were done, her family had pretty much filled the pick up with, zucchini, summer squash, radishes, and potatoes.

Great people!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:24 AM

if you have any hutterite colonies around they are real friendly folks and sometimes will allow access for hunting. typically they have a ton of land. It never hurts to ask i always say, the worst they can do is say no ........ by the way can i borrow 20 bucks ..........
cheers