Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2020, 07:28 AM

Default Newell

Has anyone been to Newell lately? Heading out this weekend and was just wondering how the bite has been.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:20 AM

Decent! you wont have any complaints.

Cheers
Old 09-15-2020, 08:15 PM

It was the slowest it has been for us all summer on the long weekend. Will be out there for 6 days next week though so let me know how it is if you don't mind!!
Old 09-15-2020, 10:42 PM

My wife & I were there Sunday, caught 7 walleye & 5 pike in a couple hours. Great time. The eyes are big, fat,healthy, and scrappy. Wife out-fished me 9-3, she really needs to learn to run the boat. lol.

For a slight financial consideration, I'll tell you my honey-hole.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
My wife & I were there Sunday, caught 7 walleye & 5 pike in a couple hours. Great time. The eyes are big, fat,healthy, and scrappy. Wife out-fished me 9-3, she really needs to learn to run the boat. lol.

For a slight financial consideration, I'll tell you my honey-hole.
haha Im to poor to pay for info.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:03 PM

I had my slowest day ever out there last Friday. (Weather was too nice. hehehe) I still managed 7 in the boat and 8 missed on hits. Will be heading out there again this weekend likely.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:28 PM

We went this aft, waited until the wind was really howling.....dopes.

Fishing was OK, caught 5 pike in one honey hole, 2 in the other, never caught even one walleye, trying to keep the boat straight was an adventure.

All the buoys are out, someone probably knows if or when they close the Kinbrook launch?? Can't find info in the regs or the EID website. TIA
Old 09-27-2020, 10:28 PM

Drove from Olds to Brooks with our 14' Lund Rebel hoping to get into some trophy walleye this weekend. Never saw anything but whitecaps the whole time. Brutal. Gonna have to wait till ice season. Man was it windy down there this weekend....
Old 09-28-2020, 08:02 AM

It was windy all weekend at Crawling Valley so I can just imagine what Newell was like. CV was fishing slow as well which made fighting the waves a lot less fun. So far it's nice and calm this morning though so one last try for 2020.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Drove from Olds to Brooks with our 14' Lund Rebel hoping to get into some trophy walleye this weekend. Never saw anything but whitecaps the whole time. Brutal. Gonna have to wait till ice season. Man was it windy down there this weekend....
Earlier in the week the weather was nice but fishing was really slow on the spots I have been fishing most of the summer. Only got 8 fish between 2 of us last monday, and 3 fish on tuesday but the weather was dead calm. I had hoped that the wind might get them moving to west shoreline to feed but wednesday, thursday and most of friday were unfishable. I fished most of the day saturday and sunday. We didn't venture to far away from the launch in the wind and still got into fish. Saturday after 4pm calmed down real nice untill after dark, but pretty windy again sunday. We didn't get anything huge but got a 29", couple 27" quite a few 24-25" and a smattering of smaller then average for that lake. Out of a possible 60 hours of fishing that could have happened in 6 days of camping I only got about 25. So it was a little disappointing of a week.

Last edited by Wes_G; 09-28-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
It was windy all weekend at Crawling Valley so I can just imagine what Newell was like. CV was fishing slow as well which made fighting the waves a lot less fun. So far it's nice and calm this morning though so one last try for 2020.
One last try? still a month left!! Should start getting good in another week.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
We went this aft, waited until the wind was really howling.....dopes.

Fishing was OK, caught 5 pike in one honey hole, 2 in the other, never caught even one walleye, trying to keep the boat straight was an adventure.

All the buoys are out, someone probably knows if or when they close the Kinbrook launch?? Can't find info in the regs or the EID website. TIA
I have never seen that launch closed. Have fished there as late as Oct 30th
Old 09-29-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Earlier in the week the weather was nice but fishing was really slow on the spots I have been fishing most of the summer. Only got 8 fish between 2 of us last monday, and 3 fish on tuesday but the weather was dead calm. I had hoped that the wind might get them moving to west shoreline to feed but wednesday, thursday and most of friday were unfishable. I fished most of the day saturday and sunday. We didn't venture to far away from the launch in the wind and still got into fish. Saturday after 4pm calmed down real nice untill after dark, but pretty windy again sunday. We didn't get anything huge but got a 29", couple 27" quite a few 24-25" and a smattering of smaller then average for that lake. Out of a possible 60 hours of fishing that could have happened in 6 days of camping I only got about 25. So it was a little disappointing of a week.
Amazing...that's the type of fish I'm after! Already looking forward to getting out there this winter!!
Old 09-29-2020, 06:40 PM

Wes, I meant CV not Newell. The launch and campground will both be closed at CV after Sep 30. My season is over because I am upgrading my boat and am selling the exiting one. My new one won't be here until the end of Oct.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:58 PM

Tuesday the 29 calm and 55 degree water, today calmish til noon then whitecaps and we were off the lake along with a few others.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I have never seen that launch closed. Have fished there as late as Oct 30th
Thank you, Sir!
Old 10-03-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
Wes, I meant CV not Newell. The launch and campground will both be closed at CV after Sep 30. My season is over because I am upgrading my boat and am selling the exiting one. My new one won't be here until the end of Oct.
Yup CVR are closing the gate at the entrance. First time that I know of this happening. Got an email from EID stating that because there will be nobody to check for invasive species thus CVR will be closed to boats OCT. 1/20. not sure about other EID lakes and reservoirs. Newell, Rolling Hills, Bassano, Little Bow, Travers
Damn!!!! wanted to go this weekend. Might have to go to Sylvan
Old 10-03-2020, 12:38 PM

CVR has done this the last couple of years but I don't believe they close Newell as it is a provincial park.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:02 PM

Anyone go there today,,, are there any other launches at Newell
Old 10-03-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
North end, but you have to pay to launch. Busy day out there, fishing was very slow for us.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Newell launch at kinbrook island does not close. You can use it year round to access the lake, whether its launching a boat or driving on ice fishing. Its one hell of a good launch, gets a little trickier as the water goes down in the fall, but its definetly one of the better ones I have ever launched at and its free.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Newell launch at kinbrook island does not close. You can use it year round to access the lake, whether its launching a boat or driving on ice fishing. Its one hell of a good launch, gets a little trickier as the water goes down in the fall, but its definetly one of the better ones I have ever launched at and its free.
Hi, talked with them today, the launch may not close but the dock will come out in the next two weeks, may effect some people. Thought the info may help.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
North end, but you have to pay to launch. Busy day out there, fishing was very slow for us.
Was really slow today too, some big waves in the morning
Old 10-04-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Hi, talked with them today, the launch may not close but the dock will come out in the next two weeks, may effect some people. Thought the info may help.
Good info. The dock makes loading Mama nicer after she parks the outfit, but not a deal breaker. Thanks for that!!!