Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-14-2020, 02:50 PM

Default Gunsmithing Accreditation Article.

Good day,
I recently read a short article/ blurb, whatever you want to call it, saying that the industry is working on making gunsmiths an accredited trade. Current smiths would be grandfathered in. It said this could possibly happen within the next year.
I cannot find it again, and I erased my history trying to fix a couple iPad issues.
I thought it was on a site like the CSSA,CCFR, somewhere like that.
It would have been a couple weeks ago.
Anyone else see this? Could you point me in the right direction.
I hope I'm not being a "Sponge" for asking questions, as another member was called in a different post.
I thought that was the purpose of a discussion forum.
Anyways, any help is appreciated.
Ken
Old 09-14-2020, 03:07 PM

You are not being a sponge, legit question, his may not have been. I too am interested in details of this. Since there is no Gunsmith organization with oversight would be very interested to know if this is Provincial or National in scope and who will drive and look after certifications. Right now it is a wide open free for all and despite that there are a lot of great smiths and very few bad ones. Bifg problem with certification is it still doesn't mean the guy is any good. Medical student that graduates bottom of his class is still called Doctor.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:39 PM

O too would be interested in the criteria .
I know a few who are British trained , several with Continental European trading and several from the a few that are U.S. trained .
I also know severel excellent gunsmiths that apprenticed under Master gunsmiths and I also know several who call themselves gunsmiths that are hacks!
One of the best I ever met was a tool and die maker who learned the trade under communist Slovak regime , incredible metal man but lacked a bit in the gun stocking department .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-14-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You are not being a sponge, legit question, his may not have been. I too am interested in details of this. Since there is no Gunsmith organization with oversight would be very interested to know if this is Provincial or National in scope and who will drive and look after certifications. Right now it is a wide open free for all and despite that there are a lot of great smiths and very few bad ones. Bifg problem with certification is it still doesn't mean the guy is any good. Medical student that graduates bottom of his class is still called Doctor.
One thing about certification is one would hope there is a minimum standard . You nor I can call ourselves a doctor , anyone can call themselves a gunsmith!
Old 09-14-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
O too would be interested in the criteria .
I know a few who are British trained , several with Continental Rutopean trading and several from the a few that are U.S. trained .
I also know severel excellent gunsmiths that apprenticed under Master gunsmiths and I also know several who call themselves gunsmiths that are hacks!
One of the best I ever met was a tool and die maker who learned the trade under communist Slovak regime , incredible metal man but lacked a big in had stocking department .
Cat
Cat, you into the Mrs' wine???
Old 09-14-2020, 04:13 PM

Sorry about the "sponge " comment, I said my piece on the other page.
I'll keep looking.
It was a " positive things coming for Canadian firearm industry" type piece.
I only read so many sites that would have that article.
I'll find it, and report back asap.
I'm very interested in the possibility of this happening.
Since I was disabled in 2014, my options for an income are limited.
I've had a passion for how guns and reloading works for over 40 years, it would be great to turn that into a career I could work on in a home based setting.
Set it all up for my particular needs, capabilities.
Thanks for the input.
Ken
Old 09-14-2020, 04:29 PM

It's about time. Some people have taken courses, but they never followed up with an actual apprenticeship, or worked under a skilled gunsmith for a considerable time . Yes they can thread and install a barrel, and bed it into a stock, but I wouldn't call them gunsmiths.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:04 AM

Wink Found The Article

Good morning,
Well, I figured out why I couldn't find the article on the internet. Because it's in print!🙄🙄🙄
It's in the High Capacity magazine from the CCFR. Volume 2, Issue 4.
I believe it came a couple months ago.
Article starts on page 6. An interview with Alison DeGroot, Managing Director of the CSAAA.
https://www.csaaa.org/

She says that "they are working with a post-secondary school to develop curriculum for the trade of Gunsmithing " She anticipates a 2 year program, with potential for first class intake in 2021. Current Gunsmiths would be grandfathered into the guild.

I can't find much of anything else about this, but I'm going to contact the association and see what they say.
I know nothing about this group, maybe others on here are more familiar with them.
So there it is.
Hopefully I can get some more information and will report back.
Have a good day,
Ken
Old 09-15-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
Good day,
I recently read a short article/ blurb, whatever you want to call it, saying that the industry is working on making gunsmiths an accredited trade. Current smiths would be grandfathered in. It said this could possibly happen within the next year.
I cannot find it again, and I erased my history trying to fix a couple iPad issues.
I thought it was on a site like the CSSA,CCFR, somewhere like that.
It would have been a couple weeks ago.
Anyone else see this? Could you point me in the right direction.
I hope I'm not being a "Sponge" for asking questions, as another member was called in a different post.
I thought that was the purpose of a discussion forum.
Anyways, any help is appreciated.
Ken
Lol, "fixing iPad issues" eh?
Old 09-15-2020, 12:20 PM

Talking

Uh,
Yes.
My ipad was running slower, so I went through and cleared everything saved that wasn't needed. Since I thought I'd read this online, I assumed I had erased the url.
Turned out it was a "getting older, did too much hard living " degraded memory issue with my brain LOL 🧠🤕🤯...
I still blame the internet. It's supposed to know everything.....
Ken