Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-08-2020, 08:36 PM

Default Tobin,Last Mountain or ?

Looking to go fishing the last week of September for"big" Walleye & Pike.I have not fished either in over 20 years. What do you recommend? Is one better or are they equal?
Old 09-08-2020, 10:27 PM

I love Tobin. It has big eyes ............ but, it's a hard lake to fish if you are unfamiliar with it. Very Tough.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:18 AM
Banned

Default Distance dependent

That time of year I wouldn't chose Tobin Lake. It is very over-rated and the best walleye fishing is in the (Saskatchewan) river. The river is tricky to maintain boat control so unless you have experience, help or a guide (Twin Marine) the day, while rewarding, can be tiring. 3/4 oz. jigs with huge leeches or fresh minnows fished as vertically as possible. Hard to do in fluctuating current speeds.

Best bet, long lines in the deep water east of the mouth. Fewer stumps and a good chance you'll hook a Sturgeon. Also, there is a tournament the next week so it may be busy.

Last Mountain also has huge walleye and fishes like a typical reservoir. YouTube has some great videos to look at and there is an annual tournament that shows significant weights that has caught my eye. Never been but that will change.

Free
Old 09-09-2020, 10:18 AM

Tobin in the fall is a very tough fish...you will have a chance at a legit giant but you will likely only catch a handful of fish all day. Like Freedom says, there is a tourney Oct 3-4 and the river is bound to be a busy place in the days leading up to it.

I have never been to Last Mountain but I would like to go soon. there are definitely some big eyes in there. Also Diefenbaker should get some consideration as it is a great fishery as well.

Vanity cup Oct 3-4 at Tobin...100K to the winning team....Wish me luck!!!
Old 09-09-2020, 11:00 AM

I have fished Last Mountain a lot, I have friends that have cabins on lake. Very tough lake to fish and can be very humbling. That being said it has huge walleyes and great days can be had.

If you head that way, I can give you a few spots to try...

Diefenbaker is a much easier lake to fish. Easy to get numbers and good chance at catching a hog.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:02 PM

The other thing about Tobin is, as mentioned, it has so much timber all over the place that you need to pick your spots (in the channel or a few other areas) if you are trolling worm/leech harnesses or cranks otherwise you will be losing gear every 30 feet.

Also don't throw and anchor until you have scanned the area - the guys we went with lost 2 of them ........ I had spot lock on my minnkota luckily.

And ...... to be fair, there are massive dead heads off each side of the Chanel just under the water that will end your day in a hurry - so know where you are going or stay in the channel. I'm talking electrical pole sized dead heads, 12" under the surface, in 30+ feet of water.

I was tearing across the lake at 45 mph and passed one 6 feet to my right and almost filled my diaper. Slowed down after that and stopped cutting corners around the channel - this was pretty darn smack dab in the middle past pruden's going north towards the main lake.

Crazy.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:05 AM
Banned

I was at Diefenbaker last Saturday and plan to return tomorrow. The trout fishing has been truly fine and I've about had enough walleye for the year. Walleye are great fun when there is money on the line and they do fry up nicely but the fight on light tackle with fish that don't give up easily is a good change.

I tried a boat launch recommended to me by an argumentative type this spring who insisted that it is a good place to access the lake (albeit a bit far from Rolling Hills). He was right. Very busy marina but it was a long weekend Saturday.

As for stumpage and deadheads I have so far been unsuccessful at keeping bait in the fish zone at 45 mph. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough. Or have as much experience.

Side bar: I believe there is a walleye-for-money event on at LML this weekend.

Free
Old 09-10-2020, 12:22 PM

If you're dead set on big walleye AND pike, Tobin. If you're ok with big walleye OR pike, LML.

I've only done a few trips to each lake, so my perspective might not mean a lot. I didn't find LML to be much of a pike lake. It is a big lake and no doubt does produce monsters, but my rate of incidental pike catches while fishing for walleye was really low considering the depth and structures I was fishing. I do really enjoy walleye fishing LML. Good numbers and a good variety of sizes. Was there a few weeks ago and had a really good trip. Lots in the 20" range, a few 24", a 26" and a 29".

I find big pike easier to find on Tobin. But the walleye can be a bit more challenging or frustrating, finding them and dealing with snags on bottom. I've gotten into good walleye numbers, but lots of smaller fish.

September might not be bad, but the traffic on both lakes might test one's patience if you don't like being crowded. Tobin on the river and LML in the well known spots can pretty much be like playing bumper boats.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The other thing about Tobin is, as mentioned, it has so much timber all over the place that you need to pick your spots (in the channel or a few other areas) if you are trolling worm/leech harnesses or cranks otherwise you will be losing gear every 30 feet.

Also don't throw and anchor until you have scanned the area - the guys we went with lost 2 of them ........ I had spot lock on my minnkota luckily.

And ...... to be fair, there are massive dead heads off each side of the Chanel just under the water that will end your day in a hurry - so know where you are going or stay in the channel. I'm talking electrical pole sized dead heads, 12" under the surface, in 30+ feet of water.

I was tearing across the lake at 45 mph and passed one 6 feet to my right and almost filled my diaper. Slowed down after that and stopped cutting corners around the channel - this was pretty darn smack dab in the middle past pruden's going north towards the main lake.

Crazy.
Yeah, whenever we're on Tobin the person not driving pays attention to the area in front of the boat looking for sawyers and floaters. So far we've managed to avoid hitting any.

When you say "channel" are you talking in front of the dam and out to the lake proper? I know lots of folks fish that area but I never have............I prefer to be out in the lake itself. I haven't lost any tackle, or anchors, to trees so maybe that's more of an issue in the channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
Tobin in the fall is a very tough fish...you will have a chance at a legit giant but you will likely only catch a handful of fish all day. Like Freedom says, there is a tourney Oct 3-4 and the river is bound to be a busy place in the days leading up to it.

I have never been to Last Mountain but I would like to go soon. there are definitely some big eyes in there. Also Diefenbaker should get some consideration as it is a great fishery as well.

Vanity cup Oct 3-4 at Tobin...100K to the winning team....Wish me luck!!!
Saw your nick and LOL'd. My bro runs Lowrance electronics on his boat and when he upgraded, I bought is HDS5 with nav chip. It has a nice collection of waypoints all over Tobin lake from us fishing there

Never fished LML myself but have been meaning to try but every time we plan a fishing trip back home........we always seem to end up renting a cabin out at Tobin.

Good luck in Oct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
I was at Diefenbaker last Saturday and plan to return tomorrow. The trout fishing has been truly fine and I've about had enough walleye for the year. Walleye are great fun when there is money on the line and they do fry up nicely but the fight on light tackle with fish that don't give up easily is a good change.

I tried a boat launch recommended to me by an argumentative type this spring who insisted that it is a good place to access the lake (albeit a bit far from Rolling Hills). He was right. Very busy marina but it was a long weekend Saturday.

As for stumpage and deadheads I have so far been unsuccessful at keeping bait in the fish zone at 45 mph. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough. Or have as much experience.

Side bar: I believe there is a walleye-for-money event on at LML this weekend.

Free
Dang.......Perdue, SK. Was living on an acreage just north of Kinley before moving here in 05. My son went to school in Perdue. The service station on the highway that had the Chinese restaurant in it made the best chow mien!

My bro likes to fish Dief a lot. He tends to go to Coteau bay but the last time I talked to him he was going to try somewhere else as the road to Coteau was (finally) being repaired so it was a cluster. Which boat launch did you go to?
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 09-10-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
When you say "channel" are you talking in front of the dam and out to the lake proper? I know lots of folks fish that area but I never have............I prefer to be out in the lake itself. I haven't lost any tackle, or anchors, to trees so maybe that's more of an issue in the channel.
Yeah sorry, Tobin used to be a part of the river, then they dammed it and brought the water levels up - so the part that used to be the river is the deepest and runs along the bottom of the lake. It winds back and forth and it's not obvious unless you have some sort of mapping software to see where that old river channel cuts and winds along.

That channel, based on what I have seen, is free from dead heads, the water is deeper, and there is productive drop off on the edges of this old channel. And because they flooded the rest of the "lake" they left standing timber up. Over the years most of it has fallen over or floated up but not all of it, there is still a fair amount of thick heavy timber broken off at or just below the ice line (and depending on the water level) in a really bad spot.

If there is staining in the water or a little riffle, there is no way you will see this by having someone stand up at the front of the boat - nor would I ask someone to do that.

First few times out - either follow a local, or map it for yourself, if you want to burn across the lake.

I guess you could always follow the channel and go slowly when you are off of that area too.

I don't trust maps unless they are mine. Bathymetry or shared maps don't show these hazards.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:46 PM

Thank you all for the information. I guess I better see if I can find a place in Nipawin first if a tournament is upcoming. I am thinking I will likely do a 3-4 day trip at both if I can stay there. I will hire a guide for the first day at Tobin to figure out a safe route and map as I go. I can't wait to go check hem out. As for Diefenbaker, I do know it fishes well and have a few good fish from there. That is where I will go if I can't do Tobin. Thanks again all. ��
Old 09-10-2020, 09:50 PM

If you go to Diefenbaker you may want to hire the fishing geeks for a day.... they kind of know their way around that lake!

Tobin can be a Great Lake and produce some trophy fish, but as other have mentioned, it can be a tough lake to fish. If you decide to go to Tobin, focus on the “lake” area as all the tournament guys will be in the river portion.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2020, 07:31 PM

Default Tobin,Last Mountain Or ?

I might have to give those guys a call. I could handle catching the big ones.When I used to fish Diefenbaker the Trout had not escaped yet so that element is cool!
Old 09-11-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskieboy View Post
I might have to give those guys a call. I could handle catching the big ones.When I used to fish Diefenbaker the Trout had not escaped yet so that element is cool!
The triploid giant that escaped were sterile. They are also long gone and dead of old age by this time. But yeah ......... absolute monsters like that will never be seen again.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:49 PM

Default Tobin,Last Mountain or ?

To bad. I guess a Sturgeon will have to do then
Old 09-12-2020, 07:36 AM
Banned

Default That's fishing

Returned to Elbow yesterday hoping to repeat last wk'nd's success and got shut out. Next time will launch at Hitchcock Bay. Then back to Turtle for some fall walleye action. Going to try full moon fishing on a rock pile I marked the day after the tournament last month.

Nice day for a boat ride.

p.s. Good luck at the Vanity Cup L.F.

Free
Old 09-12-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The triploid giant that escaped were sterile. They are also long gone and dead of old age by this time. But yeah ......... absolute monsters like that will never be seen again.
Last year or the year prior a big escape happened again ! 1000s of trout getting caught.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:42 PM
Banned

It would be my guess that some of those tripiloid trout escape every year. Not to the extent of the great escape of winter 2000 that created such mayhem- I participated myself a couple of weekends- but escapees none the less.

The way to tell native fish from aqua-culture fish is the color of the meat. The farmed product is distinctly more red due to the nature of the feed. European markets prefer the darker color. Or so I'm told.

Free
Old 09-13-2020, 05:09 PM

Default Tobin, Last Mountain or ?

Well I decided to go to Last Mountain Lake & stay @ G&S Marina for the week & avoid the tournament @ Tobin. Will have to try again later to go back o Tobin. Looking forward to Last Mountain Lake
Old 09-15-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Well I decided to go to Last Mountain Lake & stay @ G&S Marina for the week & avoid the tournament @ Tobin. Will have to try again later to go back o Tobin. Looking forward to Last Mountain Lake
Let us know how the fishing there is. I haven't fished it yet but have been meaning to try it out.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 09-15-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
The fishing was only OK during the Rowans tourney. Pretty tough bite all week long. Last Mountain is an incredible fishery, but it's big water, and it can really humble a guy if the fish are grumpy and/or the weather doesn't cooperate.

Talk to Rob at G&S and he'll point you in the right direction. I'd consider hiring him for a day or a 1/2 day to get your bearings, and I'd also give some serious consideration to hiring these guys for a 1/2 day. Layne and the guys know their stuff and they've been putting clients on giant walleye all year long.

https://www.mtnmanoutdoors.com/
Old 09-15-2020, 03:16 PM

did they say anything at the tournie about the fish trap the CO's found 11 lb and 2 8 lb in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
The fishing was only OK during the Rowans tourney. Pretty tough bite all week long. Last Mountain is an incredible fishery, but it's big water, and it can really humble a guy if the fish are grumpy and/or the weather doesn't cooperate.

Talk to Rob at G&S and he'll point you in the right direction. I'd consider hiring him for a day or a 1/2 day to get your bearings, and I'd also give some serious consideration to hiring these guys for a 1/2 day. Layne and the guys know their stuff and they've been putting clients on giant walleye all year long.

https://www.mtnmanoutdoors.com/
Old 09-15-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbok View Post
did they say anything at the tournie about the fish trap the CO's found 11 lb and 2 8 lb in it?
I heard the rumour this morning.

It's infuriating, but I'm steering well clear of it. I don't want any part of the drama.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:52 PM

crazy what guys will do . I saw pictures so its more then a rumor