Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2020, 07:29 AM

Default RV conversion requirements and assessment

I can't find any information from insurance broker or RV repair people or Google and I can't figure out where else to phone.

What are the items absolutely necessary to have a vehicle classed as an RV? Then who do you call once you've installed those things?
Old 08-22-2020, 07:48 AM

I actually just did an overland RV conversion on an F550. Here are the requirements from the Canadian Motor vehicle safety regulations. I also found out that you need a serial number(VIN) for the Chassis and one for the conversion. You need to go through the Alberta process (Link below) to get a VIN assigned to the camper/living part,

motor home: means a multi-purpose passenger vehicle that is designed to provide temporary residential accommodations, as evidenced by the presence of at least four of the following:

(a) cooking facilities,

(b) a refrigerator or ice box,

(c) a self-contained toilet,

(d) a heating or air-conditioning system that can function independently of the vehicle engine,

(e) a potable water supply system that includes a faucet and sink, and

(f) a separate 110- to 125-V electric power supply or an LP gas supply; (autocaravane)

Getting a VIN in AB:
https://www.alberta.ca/vehicle-ident...ory%20holidays.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:34 AM

Thank you. The vin person got back to me and said you only get a new vin if you change the frame or the body.

Do you have your conversion insured now? Who with? If I'd known how hard this was going to be....
Old 08-24-2020, 10:05 AM

I converted an airport shuttle van to an RV. Called Allstate and got it insured as an RV without any issues.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:49 PM
Banned

would there be some benefit to doing this to a cargo trailer conversion? i built my camping trailer from a cargo trailer and has all of those things mentioned, so what gains to be made to convert?