Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2020, 08:27 PM

Default Woman Killed by Black Bear in Sask

https://globalnews.ca/news/7291620/w...k-bear-attack/

keeping u informed

David
Old 08-21-2020, 09:41 PM

Well you are more likely to be predated on by a black bear than grizzly. Condolences for the family of the victim. As for the investigators at least the bear is dead. I've had to hike in on multiple bear attacks involving grizzlies where the bear was believed to be shot in self defense. You could pull diamonds out of my shorts due to the pucker factor when your hiking in some nasty brush filled hell hole knowing there is an angry and injured grizzly in the area that just chewed on some poor soul.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Well you are more likely to be predated on by a black bear than grizzly. Condolences for the family of the victim. As for the investigators at least the bear is dead. I've had to hike in on multiple bear attacks involving grizzlies where the bear was believed to be shot in self defense. You could pull diamonds out of my shorts due to the pucker factor when your hiking in some nasty brush filled hell hole knowing there is an angry and injured grizzly in the area that just chewed on some poor soul.
I know you don't get paid what you are worth on those occasions. Pucker is right.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I know you don't get paid what you are worth on those occasions. Pucker is right.
One last year we took 5 guys in and standing 10 yards apart on line we couldn’t see each other the brush and down fall was so thick. Bear coulda jumped any of us and it would be like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park... Followed blood for 500 yards before it dried up. No clue where the critter ended up.

Already been on 2 this year, have had a total of 5 within a 50 mile radius of me and hunting season hasn’t even started... we are screwed!
Old 08-22-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I gotta lot of respect for you guys getting dispatched out to deal with mankiller/injured bears-stay safe fordtruckin.

Creeky....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 08-22-2020, 09:17 AM

Default grizz

Ford, we are going to import you back to Canada to deal with our growing grizzly bear population. My neighbour that services gas wells has only seen 50 grizzly so far this year in Kakwa river country north of Hinton. Fifty years ago we would have a tough time finding grizz poop or a track in that country.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

dam...sorry to hear this...right now I got two bears on my property that just don't get it....go to cut grass bears run off through the woods...lots of berries around here this season...got a momma bear and three cubs running around the golf course too....saw a fish cop truck towing a bear trap yesterday...but this happens around here every year....just don't trust the buggers....putting the boat away the other day unhooking it and dog goes off into the woods well all hell broke loose...she ran my direction and bear the other....me I just pee'd a bit

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-22-2020, 02:48 PM

During archery Elk season last year I was spot and stalking what In"thought" was a spike bull feeding in 10ft high hazel bush.

I ended up getting with 10 yards of Sow and 2 cubs.

Not sure how/why she did not charge me is beyond belief.

She trees the Cubs and proceeded to Beller(like a death knell) repeatedly for 5 minutes as I booked it out of there.

Bear Spray(left at home) will be on my belt this year!
Old 08-22-2020, 03:23 PM

Bear problems are only going to escalate in the foreseeable future.

So many whose only outdoor experience is hotel/motel/cabin if they did camp it was in a regulated setting such as a patrolled campground in Jasper or Banff with Rangers/park staff close to hand.
These are the same people we see pictures of creeping up to the semi habituated to humanity animals in a park to get a closeup picture.

Now these individuals are out and about free camping and acquiring a taste for the freedom it entails. They fail to realize Freedom has to be paid for!
So here they are in a recently purchased RV dragging along their sporty ATV's dirt bikes and bicycles that till now only saw use on maintained trails in the river valley or ridden on in a ATV use area with a ton of others ripping around the sand hill's on a day trip.

And they are not alone, they have their non wildlife aware children and never done anything like this before acquaintances,These people have only a rudimentary knowledge base about what is entailed to be safe in an area that may not even have any cell coverage.

Most have heard about playing dead when bears charge These poor soon to be statistics are going to find out that playing dead is only applicable to Some Grizzly's. Never black bears.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
One last year we took 5 guys in and standing 10 yards apart on line we couldn’t see each other the brush and down fall was so thick. Bear coulda jumped any of us and it would be like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park... Followed blood for 500 yards before it dried up. No clue where the critter ended up.

Already been on 2 this year, have had a total of 5 within a 50 mile radius of me and hunting season hasn’t even started... we are screwed!
I can't imagine what the sound of a twig cracking in the woods would do to my sphincter walking into something like that.

I'm pretty sure I would fill my shorts ....
Old 08-22-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post

Most have heard about playing dead when bears charge These poor soon to be statistics are going to find out that playing dead is only applicable to Some Grizzly's. Never black bears.
You fight back against a sow black bear with cubs your gonna die Possibley.
I think you should play dead and let the sow think she has immobilized the threat. Keep fighting and so will she.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I think you should play dead and let the sow think she has immobilized the threat. Keep fighting and so will she.
Won't know until you're in that specific situation I guess
Old 08-22-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
Won't know until you're in that specific situation I guess
Won’t know what? Many people have been in that situation.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Won’t know what? Many people have been in that situation.
Getting mauled by a black bear with Cubs...then determining whether it's a better idea to play dead OR fight back to see which method works better ??

Lots of people have tested this theory, huh ?? 🤦
Old 08-23-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
Getting mauled by a black bear with Cubs...then determining whether it's a better idea to play dead OR fight back to see which method works better ??

Lots of people have tested this theory, huh ?? 🤦

I would recommend not venturing into the wilderness without a razor sharp knife with a lanyard.

At least you'll have a slim chance at survival.

Black Bears probably have the strength of a competitive powerlifter coupling with jaws, teeth and decent claws.....IF they get a hold of you your gonna look like a pile of hamburger after their done.

I have watched Sows over Baits and I have also seen what a mature Boar can do.

It's a toss up but I think I would rather face the Alpha Male than a Sow with Cubs....the ferocity displayed by a Sow when it's jaw snapping, snarling and swatting brush to get her point across is something to be experienced....
Old 08-23-2020, 07:54 AM

Well you are more likely to be predated on by a black bear than grizzly.

It does happen on occasion though and for the same reasons

https://globalnews.ca/news/5103435/y...oroner-report/

Grizz
Old 08-23-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
During archery Elk season last year I was spot and stalking what In"thought" was a spike bull feeding in 10ft high hazel bush.

I ended up getting with 10 yards of Sow and 2 cubs.

Not sure how/why she did not charge me is beyond belief.

She trees the Cubs and proceeded to Beller(like a death knell) repeatedly for 5 minutes as I booked it out of there.

Bear Spray(left at home) will be on my belt this year!
Your damn lucky, usually when cubs go up a tree, the sow will kill whatever she charges. Maybe she didn't get your scent and couldn't see you to pin point you. Either way, glad your alright.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-23-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
The problem is you can't know what type of attack you're facing. Also a defence charge can turn predatory. That's why everyone carries bear spray now. Because its better to fight for your life, then to play dead.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-23-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Your damn lucky, usually when cubs go up a tree, the sow will kill whatever she charges. Maybe she didn't get your scent and couldn't see you to pin point you. Either way, glad your alright.
It made those 30 minute hikes back to the quad, after dark all the more enjoyable...

There is something about the dark, being in the woods and knowing there are predators around.

Usually at night if you carry a light your o.k.

During the day try to make your "human" presence known and Bears will usually avoid you.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:

I worked some of those situations years ago down here. I trained a GSP for it. Fabulous dog that wanted nothing to do with bears but would never leave me. I never worried about him tracking off or ranging too far.
He always knew when we were on that call and I swear he would give me the dog version of “the look” all the way to the jump off point. He never lost a track and we were never surprised. He was always close enough that Id hear the low growl in his throat when it was showtime. He was never wrong.
Good for you still racking them Ford... keep your chin up.

Osky
Old 08-24-2020, 03:59 PM

Default Edam, Sask., woman killed by black bear while on the phone with her father

"Curtis called advising me that a bear attacked her, that he sprayed the bear with pepper spray and the bear got more angry."

Esquirol said Curtis told him he got a gun and shot the bear twice before it went down.

"So by that time, Stephanie had no pulse. He gave her mouth to mouth, but she was injured beyond the point of recovery."

Esquirol had nothing but praise for how Curtis reacted, saying that he did everything that he could "and kept his composure."

RCMP said in a release that Stephanie had "significant injuries" and was flown to Buffalo Narrows, where she was pronounced dead.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ther-1.5697706
Old 08-24-2020, 05:52 PM

That's horrific. So sad.

Stay safe out there, all.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I’ve encountered several situations where the cubs went up a tree and never had a sow charge (fencing, chasing cows, baiting bears, rifle hunting, archery hunting, etc). In my experience, black bear sows usually put the cubs up a tree and retreat. Every case that I have read or heard of a black bear killing a person has been a predatory attack. If your experience has been different (as indicated by your statement), I’d like to hear about it.

In this case, I don’t know what could have been done to prevent the attack. Very sad for the victim and her family.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-24-2020, 06:14 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-24-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I’ve encountered several situations where the cubs went up a tree and never had a sow charge (fencing, chasing cows, baiting bears, rifle hunting, archery hunting, etc). In my experience, black bear sows usually put the cubs up a tree and retreat. Every case that I have read or heard of a black bear killing a person has been a predatory attack. If your experience has been different (as indicated by your statement), I’d like to hear about it.

In this case, I don’t know what could have been done to prevent the attack. Very sad for the victim and her family.
I was thinking Grizzly due to it being an Elk hunt. Black Bear aren't as aggressive for sure.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:11 PM

My condolences to Hubert and the family, such a very unfortunate incident..
WDF
Old 08-25-2020, 09:11 AM

An old soccer buddy’s sister, Lorna Weafer was killed By a black bear at Suncor Fort McMurray in 2014. When I worked for Transwest Mining at Suncor, there was the odd night shift we would be throwing garbage in the bin only to to come eye to eye with a blackie eating scraps in the bin.

Wild animals do wild things....