Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2020, 04:46 PM

Default I feel Dirty

I am trying to sell my car and buy a used 1/2 Ton truck. I have been to a couple of dealers and frankly I walk out feeling covered in slime and algae.

My vehicle which is in perfect condition has low KM and is fully loaded is worth nothing and what ever they want to sell me is the greatest vehicle on the planet is wrapped in gold and is priced accordingly.

I thought that with technology today we could get past the 1970's sterotypes.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:04 PM

Exclamation But wait! There's more!

You've only been talking to the sales team, you haven't even made it to the finance team yet.
You can wash off the slime, but you can't clean the stain they leave on your psyche.

Your other option is a private sale and purchase, which means dealing with Joe Public. Some of whom will identify as peoplekind. Choose wisely.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-20-2020, 05:05 PM

Dealerships haven’t changed as long as I’ve been around....
Old 08-20-2020, 05:08 PM

You'd be better off trying to sell your vehicle privately - you will always lose on a trade in with a dealership.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:34 PM

yup , and as soon as they have your money they treat you like you a nuisance if you have any problems . Im sure there are some reputable salesmen out there but i have never met one .
Old 08-20-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
yup , and as soon as they have your money they treat you like you a nuisance if you have any problems . Im sure there are some reputable salesmen out there but i have never met one .
If they even acknowledge your existance.

I find the only way to get any service is to ask 'who do I buy the brand new fully loaded truck from? Now that I have your attention....

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-20-2020, 06:14 PM

Dealers buy your trade at wholesale (Black Book) regardless of how “differences” are presented. In reality, I doubt there is much profit on the Sales end (new vehicle) with the real profit being generated through parts and service/repairs. Also room to profit on the resale of your trade if it is kept instead of sent to auction.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:21 PM

Gentlemen, your naivety is sooooo refreshing!!

If you only knew how much that the dealer gets paid back from the various banks and finance companies by steering the buyer into a financed vehicle.

Just ask my Baby Brother!

Drewski
Old 08-20-2020, 06:41 PM
Banned

2 words: private sale
Old 08-20-2020, 07:09 PM
Banned

Selling private you will get more buying private Is better now. Use car fax to see what damage was done to vehicle, straight up ask if it was a salvage vehicle, might be able to take car into your mechanic to check it over for u etc etc.
If u go to buy never tell them u have a trade in until just before u have a deal then u find out what they really think of your vehicle . Some places will give you lots for your vehicle and then not reduce the one u are buying. You think u are getting a good deal but you really aren’t .

I love the dealership dance.

My new strategy is after the salesman does the first walk to the manager the next time I follow him to the manager and stop talking to the salesman and start pressuring the sales manager. I start to use their words like amount x will make me walk out of here today buying your vehicle. I have even got the sales manager to flip a coin for last $500 in price. Was going to buy it anyway but used his greed spirit to risk his profit on a flip of the coin.

As for they don’t want to see you after u buy a few well placed f bombs in a crowded showroom always seems to work for me. I try being nice but if that doesn’t work f bombs do the trick.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:24 PM

I have done well by presenting an opportunity for a number of dealerships to "bid" for my business - or at least think they are bidding against each other.

But FIRST - I lay out the ground rules, terms of payment, GST in for the price, all fees, paperwork, freight, winky doodle this fee and winky doodle that fee, ALL IN PRICE and tell them they have ONE OPPORTUNITY to bid it.The are bidding an "all in" drive away cash sale price - no games.

I tell them what I'm looking for (precisely) and have them send me the vehicle feature sheet with an offer price pertaining to each (as there are some variables in options and stuff from one vehicle to the next).

No feature sheet swapping, no separate piece of paper with my notes on it, but on an offer sheet I insist the dealership signs or sends me on an email so it's clear.

Amy gamesmanship, or they don't like it, and they are OUT.

I have informed a few dealerships that they were out (and made sure to tell both the sales guy AND the manager) they are out and EVERY TIME I laugh my butt off when the sales guy, then the sales manager call me back to try and salvage their opportunity. EVERY TIME.

So the bids come back.

For the vehicles I'm interested in .... I set up a meeting and tell them we have 10 minutes, not one second longer, so I insist the "sales manager" is either at the meeting OR the rep is authorized to close the deal .....otherwise I am leaving.

During the 10 minutes - I look at my watch, remind the guy several times, 6 minutes, 4 minutes, etc... and let him present his offer and push him a few times (and they usually come down a bit from the bid).

Then I say - "I really like this vehicle here the best" and "I appreciate your revised offer, but the price is not competitive" ...and "I really like you guys"...and the killing blow... "if you can bring the price down by $X - let's do a deal right now, If not, thank you for your time and effort, I have another opportunity with another dealer" and I reach across the table to shake their hands ........ this precipitates either a immediate deal or a hum and haw BS break - where I extend a simple 2 minute overtime period.

Of I don't have a deal in those 2 minutes - I'm out.

I enjoy playing when buying a vehicle - I am not ashamed to admit it - a taste of their own medicine. Dirty sketchy rats.

Put the pressure on them to get the right deal, in and out in 15 minutes.

I wish I bought a vehicle every week - would be fun ....

Last edited by EZM; 08-20-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have done well by presenting an opportunity for a number of dealerships to "bid" for my business - or at least think they are bidding against each other.

But FIRST - I lay out the ground rules, terms of payment, GST in for the price, all fees, paperwork, freight, winky doodle this fee and winky doodle that fee, ALL IN PRICE and tell them they have ONE OPPORTUNITY to bid it.The are bidding an "all in" drive away cash sale price - no games.

I tell them what I'm looking for (precisely) and have them send me the vehicle feature sheet with an offer price pertaining to each (as there are some variables in options and stuff from one vehicle to the next).

No feature sheet swapping, no separate piece of paper with my notes on it, but on an offer sheet I insist the dealership signs or sends me on an email so it's clear.

Amy gamesmanship, or they don't like it, and they are OUT.

I have informed a few dealerships that they were out (and made sure to tell both the sales guy AND the manager) they are out and EVERY TIME I laugh my butt off when the sales guy, then the sales manager call me back to try and salvage their opportunity. EVERY TIME.

So the bids come back.

For the vehicles I'm interested in .... I set up a meeting and tell them we have 10 minutes, not one second longer, so I insist the "sales manager" is either at the meeting OR the rep is authorized to close the deal .....otherwise I am leaving.

During the 10 minutes - I look at my watch, remind the guy several times, 6 minutes, 4 minutes, etc... and let him present his offer and push him a few times (and they usually come down a bit from the bid).

Then I say - "I really like this vehicle here the best" and "I appreciate your revised offer, but the price is not competitive" ...and "I really like you guys"...and the killing blow... "if you can bring the price down by $X - let's do a deal right now, If not, thank you for your time and effort, I have another opportunity with another dealer" and I reach across the table to shake their hands ........ this precipitates either a immediate deal or a hum and haw BS break - where I extend a simple 2 minute overtime period.

Of I don't have a deal in those 2 minutes - I'm out.

I enjoy playing when buying a vehicle - I am not ashamed to admit it - a taste of their own medicine. Dirty sketchy rats.

Put the pressure on them to get the right deal, in and out in 15 minutes.

I wish I bought a vehicle every week - would be fun ....
Lol, ill buy you lunch/drinks if i can borrow you for my next vehicle purchase.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:00 PM

When negotiating with different dealerships, it is helpful to know which ones have the same owners.
And be careful when choosing to box with a boxer...sometimes when they go to the ropes they are just letting you punch because they understand the psychology. Every deal has a bottom line that insures there is enough profit to pay the expenses.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
When negotiating with different dealerships, it is helpful to know which ones have the same owners.
And be careful when choosing to box with a boxer...sometimes when they go to the ropes they are just letting you punch because they understand the psychology. Every deal has a bottom line that insures there is enough profit to pay the expenses.
Alot of truth in this!
Old 08-20-2020, 09:38 PM

They are all lying dirtbags

"Buddy"
Old 08-20-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
They are all lying dirtbags

"Buddy"
I've been in the automotive business past 30 years. Never have any of my customers called me a lying dirtbag.its a job that provides a product for a consumer. Just like anything else in the free market world it's up to consumer to make sure they have knowledge and info on pricing which I gladly would give to someone free of charge
Old 08-20-2020, 10:10 PM

I was at a dealer last week. He wanted me to sign a section that clearly stated “offer to purchase”. I laughed and said we have not decided on a final price yet...do you think I am stupid? Why would I even sign anything at that stage? He said if I sign right there and then, it will show his manager I am serious and he will get me a better price.....
Old 08-20-2020, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
I've been in the automotive business past 30 years. Never have any of my customers called me a lying dirtbag.its a job that provides a product for a consumer. Just like anything else in the free market world it's up to consumer to make sure they have knowledge and info on pricing which I gladly would give to someone free of charge
Yup and if you don’t take the time to gather knowledge they will drain you of your bank account. Just like buying a TV yeah right.
Any place that has an associated car selling place for people that can’t get credit that sells people cars at 20% interest all knowing that they will pay for a bit then get the car repoed when they can’t pay are great businesses to be trusted . Yeah right again.
Ever hear the saying where there is smoke there must be fire. Well with all the car dealer bad smoke being heard there must be a bit of truth to it.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:51 PM

There might be an honest dealership somewhere and maybe even an honest sales person but rare as hen's teeth. Yes they have to make money but the antics some of them play is beyond crazy. If a person trades they give thousands away.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:21 PM

Default Sad but Funny

The one salesman I dealt with had the audacity to use the line "champagne tastes on a beer budget with me"

Just because I dont like your price doesnt mean I am poor. I found that line particularly offensive.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
The one salesman I dealt with had the audacity to use the line "champagne tastes on a beer budget with me"

Just because I dont like your price doesnt mean I am poor. I found that line particularly offensive.
Yup - had a similar incident happen to me. Sold my SUV and was using my company truck for a while I shopped for a vehicle.

Went into one particular dealership (happened to be Mercedes dealer and I was looking at an AMG63) and was probably not exuding the "rich guy" look with my track pants and tee shirt climbing out of a truck. I went in to showroom, so I asked her a question or two and a sales lady told me to grab some brochures and have a look at the website for prices and options - she was working on a deal with some clients.

Didn't even hand me a business card or introduce herself.

so ……...

I bought a vehicle at another dealership (happened to be a BMW and I purchased a M3) and drove it over a few days later and parked it right in front of her window - I pretended to be looking at another vehicle and when she came out and greeted me I said "hey thank you for directing me to the website - it made my purchasing decision much easier" and climbed into my car and lit up the tires right in the parking lot leaving her standing there like an idiot.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I pretended to be looking at another vehicle and when she came out and greeted me I said "hey thank you for directing me to the website - it made my purchasing decision much easier" and climbed into my car and lit up the tires right in the parking lot leaving her standing there like an idiot.
And what did you prove? she sells another car to prove you wrong, don't misunderstand me. I am on your side, but what did you prove? You would have shown her that you are a charvisnistic pig and she would have sold another car, DUH!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitumen View Post
2 words: private sale
^^^ Bingo!

And you won't pay sales tax buying private either.

Never once bought a vehicle off a lot of any kind, dealer or a corner skid lot.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
And what did you prove? she sells another car to prove you wrong, don't misunderstand me. I am on your side, but what did you prove? You would have shown her that you are a charvisnistic pig and she would have sold another car, DUH!!!!!!!
That proved that she blew off a customer who was willing and able to buy from her. She blew me off thinking I was some tire kicker, time wasting skid - and not a qualified potential client.

I'm not sure how that makes me a "chauvinistic pig" ……… the salesperson happened to be a woman - I made no mention, in any derogatory, disrespectful or offensive remarks regarding her sex, or anything like that. I think there a bit of a "reach" there for a more interesting narrative - don't you think.

It just happens that the salesperson was a woman - I would have done the exact same thing to a male salesperson too. That doesn't make me a chauvinistic pig in any way - I don't know how you can even say that. I think you may be reaching here to find a reason to be offended (or trying to stir a pot) that doesn't need to be stirred.

Either way - It gave me personal satisfaction - nothing else.

And ........ I hope it made her consider her actions and how she may treat the next "blue collar" looking guy that walks into her dealership.

Last edited by EZM; 08-21-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I am trying to sell my car and buy a used 1/2 Ton truck. I have been to a couple of dealers and frankly I walk out feeling covered in slime and algae.

My vehicle which is in perfect condition has low KM and is fully loaded is worth nothing and what ever they want to sell me is the greatest vehicle on the planet is wrapped in gold and is priced accordingly.

I thought that with technology today we could get past the 1970's sterotypes.

The are good and bad dealerships, no two ways about it. There are also good and bad sales people within the same dealership. Trading a vehicle in is usually going to get a poor result, trading a used vehicle when buying another used vehicle is really going to work out bad in just about every case. Used vehicles in good shape are selling like hotcakes right now. Put it on here, Kijiji and Autotrader and odds are it will be gone in a week if you price it right and have a clean Car Fax for it.

Trucks less than 5 years old with low to mid mileage are quite expensive because a ton are being bought and shipped to the States. With a 35% currency difference a $40,000 truck here is only $26,000 U.S. Search the same places for the exact truck you want. It won't take very long to figure out what the price range on the truck is and locate two or three examples of what you want to buy.

Go see all of the examples you are interested in but sign nothing, put down no deposits and make it clear to the salesman you are going to look at 3 or 4 other potential vehicles before deciding. Once you locate a couple of good candidates, doing your negotiations by email will save you a ton of aggravation. Make sure you get a clean carfax and that any deal is subject to being inspected by your own mechanic, not their shop, before any money or deposit is put down. Even if you find only one, the salesman doesn't need to know that. From there EZM's advice on how to deal with a dealer, if that is where the truck you want is located, is pretty much spot on.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:46 AM

I take back that remark about being a PIG, but what did you prove? Nothink to the salesperson. You would have been better off to just forget about it. (but I would do the same thing).
Old 08-21-2020, 10:56 AM

I completely understand the dirty feeling. I have bought three new vehicles in my life, and I think I did okay - but I definitely didn't look forward to the experience.

Have done pretty well with my used vehicles.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:22 AM

Salesmen of all sorts use human psychology to make sales. Tricks to bump you off your game. If they can be in control ( good ones will do this all while you think you are in control) they will get you to sign on the dotted line. Some use these tricks on clearly vulnerable people knowing full well they are taking advantage. Those sales people are scum. Many sales people are simply trying to make their living and they learn the steps of the dance to make a sale.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:22 PM

Having just bought 2 vehicles in the last 3 months I actually was really impressed by capital dodge. Told them what I was looking for and wanted a all in price as I was paying cash. The sales manager told me If I found a better deal at any ram dealership in alberta and had it in writing he would beat it by $1000. I spent 2 days online and no one was within $ 750. They also threw in a spray in boxliner and tonneau cover.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:35 PM

I'v bought from the same dealer for years and they treated me fair, I think. My wife wanted to upgrade her SUV early this year and they happened to have a year old lease back with 8,000 km on it. I made the deal and flew in to Calgary pick it up. The Finance department tried to stick me for $690 for writing a Bill of Sale. My buddy (manager of vehicle sales) wasn't there but they had him on the phone before my taxi got there for the trip to the airport. LOL I never paid the fee, had I been financing that is another story but I was handing them a bank draft. That was cheesy.