Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2020, 10:14 PM

Default Edmonton Mask Mandate Not Based On Science!

Perhaps you thought the Edmonton mask mandate was made by several high ranking physicians with a deep understanding of Covid-19. Turns out no, City Council only voted for the mandatory mask bylaw based on public opinion.

One of the nice things I saw today was doctors around the world are starting to speak out against the nonsense. Hopefully more start speaking up as there are people being hurt unable to get to badly needed medical appointments.

https://www.rebelnews.com/edmontons_...fPLs6npe4Miomc
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-19-2020, 10:45 PM

Not shocked.....

-We need to flatten the curve, thousands upon thousands could die; oh, ahhhh,
-We need to social distance to reduce ICU admissions so hospitals aren't over run; ahh, thats not happening either?
-I know, this could affect children when they reach middle age and cause heart problems; hmmm, not buying that either;
-Masks are mandatory!

What's next, mandatory facemasks/goggles? I'm not going to wear those either.

The goal post are continually changing, seems they have no idea what they are talking about, experts are contradicting themselves continually, what a mess.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:54 PM

Your source is Rebel News.

I'd suggest a little more research there.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:05 PM

I was in Edmonton today, and had to wear masks into several business, restaurant, and hotel...and my biggest issue is that this mask business really messes up my mustache. I shouldn't have to wax my moustache more than once a day. It's a real hardship. Glad masks aren't mandatory in GP.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-19-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Your source is Rebel News.

I'd suggest a little more research there.
I don't neccesarily trust the Rebel for unbiased news, but the documents obtained via FOIP I totally trust.
Especially since Mike Nichol has said the same thing numerous times and is basically standing against council and the Mayor for this very reason.
If you've ever dealt with Mike for anything, you'd lend an ear to him as well. No BS from him.
We got played.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I don't neccesarily trust the Rebel for unbiased news, but the documents obtained via FOIP I totally trust.
Especially since Mike Nichol has said the same thing numerous times and is basically standing against council and the Mayor for this very reason.
If you've ever dealt with Mike for anything, you'd lend an ear to him as well. No BS from him.
We got played.
Mike seems like the only one who's not a politically correct, leftist on council. Hopefully he runs for federal politics. We need more people with brains in Ottawa
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-20-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Mike seems like the only one who's not a politically correct, leftist on council. Hopefully he runs for federal politics. We need more people with brains in Ottawa
Baby steps....
I want him as Mayor first.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Perhaps you thought the Edmonton mask mandate was made by several high ranking physicians with a deep understanding of Covid-19. Turns out no, City Council only voted for the mandatory mask bylaw based on public opinion.
The documents do not show that. While they do show that public opinion was considered you are ignoring that both the WHO and Health Canada recommended masks be worn in crowded public spaces months earlier. Just because there wasn’t a slide on it doesn’t mean it wasn’t considered.

Quote:
One of the nice things I saw today was doctors around the world are starting to speak out against the nonsense. Hopefully more start speaking up as there are people being hurt unable to get to badly needed medical appointments.
What does the mask bylaw have to do with access to medical appointments? How Does it stop people from seeing a doctor?
Old 08-20-2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
The documents do not show that. While they do show that public opinion was considered you are ignoring that both the WHO and Health Canada recommended masks be worn in crowded public spaces months earlier. Just because there wasn’t a slide on it doesn’t mean it wasn’t considered.

What does the mask bylaw have to do with access to medical appointments? How Does it stop people from seeing a doctor?
Apparently you don't know, but I know of a couple people who have had surgeries put off until next summer. People are dying, and not being diagnosed because of idiotic politicians. These politicians and bureaucrats(many who aren't working) need to be reduced at every level. And the WHO is as trustworthy as China on medical data. Theres a reason it should be defunded!
Old 08-20-2020, 06:21 AM

A washroom cleaning schedule at Taco Bell has more organization and credence than Mayor Ivesons leadership. I guess the good thing is it provides some people with a sense that they are helping and making a difference.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:44 AM
Banned

https://youtu.be/R3ySrtdrqlE

Wuhan seems to be on top of it....
Old 08-20-2020, 07:51 AM

Sorry only a fool would say do not wear masks during a major corona pandemic. We have a choice either wear masks or shut down the economy again this fall. Lets do the smarter option.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:57 AM

I spent a night in Calgary last week on my way to sturgeon fish, masks were mandatory while in public. I’m good at misplacing a mask, that I figured out. I’m going to need a holster for extras if it gets the same here. Also my buddies and I decided it was kind of fun watching all the waitresses in masks in the pub we checked out.

I know this contributes very little to the thread, just my observation and experience with mask use now. 0% if my being gave a hoot about chucking one on.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:58 AM
Banned

If masks were there to stop economy shut downs Albertans would start wearing them years ago.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
If masks were there to stop economy shut downs Albertans would start wearing them years ago.
Masks are political more than effective, another Feel Good initiative. First it was, only health care workers need to wear them, then it was a suggested option, now "They" want to make them compulsory. Reality is, the people in charge don't have a clue and that includes WHO.

Grizz
Old 08-20-2020, 08:21 AM

I think it was a pretty complicated decision.

The benefit of a mask increases with higher risk activities. For example, no benefit while sitting at home on your couch. Possible benefit while riding the LRT. Significant benefit when performing an aerosol generating medical procedure. ya?

Early on I suspect masks weren't mandated as the country didn't have the supplies to do it so they conserved them for high risk use. Now the supply chain has caught up and they can be utilized for lower risk activities. Of course, the ROI is diminishing. I'm sure no one really knows the answer.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:29 AM
Banned

Umm cloth masks are not part of medical supply. Almost anyone can make a mask out of basic household materials.if i remember correctly canada sent its ppe supply to china and received junk in return. Are we buying this junk and wearing it now since it was deemed unacceptable for medical use. I doubt china refunded canada after sending us unsafe medical supplies.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:

https://www.rebelnews.com/edmontons_...fPLs6npe4Miomc
They might not of discussed science when making their decision but luckily they guessed correctly.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/co...-transmission/

Masks can help reduce transmission. They can be worn by everyone. If you have serious lung issues that makes it hard to breathe through a mask...you really shouldn’t be out where Covid could be spread. It will kill you for sure.

If you are autistic or too young to cope with a mask...people will have patience.

If you are older but a dumbarse and refuse to wear a mask to help protect others...then shame on you for being so self cantered and selfish.

Science says it helps. Helping each other is a great thing great outdoorsmen try to do every day.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-20-2020, 09:39 AM

I'm fortunate, I live a low risk lifestyle in a low risk, with low incidence rate area. I act accordingly. No mask unless mandated and I wash and sanitize my hands, coming in and out of a store. The prevailing thought still holds, the virus is transmitted much like the flu virus, hand to face contact. Masks won't help, unless they're used correctly and the mass of people don't. In fact, they encourage hand to face contact, when you adjust them, a regular practice. Buddy claims he lost his multi thousand dollar hearing aid somewhere, adjusting his mask.

Grizz
Old 08-20-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Masks are political more than effective, another Feel Good initiative. First it was, only health care workers need to wear them, then it was a suggested option, now "They" want to make them compulsory. Reality is, the people in charge don't have a clue and that includes WHO.

Grizz
IncrediGirl and I were talking about this this morning - The "Duck and Cover" campaign from the 50's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMnKNHNfznE) came up.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
They might not of discussed science when making their decision but luckily they guessed correctly.

Masks can help reduce transmission. They can be worn by everyone. If you have serious lung issues that makes it hard to breathe through a mask...you really shouldn’t be out where Covid could be spread. It will kill you for sure.

If you are autistic or too young to cope with a mask...people will have patience.

If you are older but a dumbarse and refuse to wear a mask to help protect others...then shame on you for being so self cantered and selfish.

Science says it helps. Helping each other is a great thing great outdoorsmen try to do every day.
Science says this virus is NOT a pandemic and our leaders need to be held accountable for their decision to lock down the economy without sufficient data. Many have died or have suffered as a result of government action and its time for the decision makers to be held accountable. I see a large class action lawsuit against the Municipal, Provincial, and Federal governments coming.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Baby steps....
I want him as Mayor first.
Yes, I cannot stand donnydogoodgreenspenditall.

BW
Old 08-20-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

By that reasoning everyone should wear masks all the time, and forever, regardless of Covid 19.
Global statistics are showing the death rate among those infected to be inline with various other Corona virus', and yet we don't even consider masks for those.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Science says this virus is NOT a pandemic.
I note that "a pandemic is an epidemic of an infectious disease that has spread across a large region, for instance multiple continents or worldwide, affecting a substantial number of people." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic). Similar definition on Merriam-Webster.

How is this virus NOT (emphasis yours) pandemic?

Thanks for the new information.

Last edited by sk270; 08-20-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Global statistics are showing the death rate among those infected to be inline with various other Corona virus.
I believe the most common corona virus disease in humans is the cold. The death rate from colds is very close to zero. Other corona virus diseases such as SARS-1 have much higher death rates that Covid-19 among those infected.

Which corona virus diseases have similar death rates to Covid-19?

Old 08-20-2020, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Apparently you don't know, but I know of a couple people who have had surgeries put off until next summer. People are dying, and not being diagnosed because of idiotic politicians. These politicians and bureaucrats(many who aren't working) need to be reduced at every level. And the WHO is as trustworthy as China on medical data. Theres a reason it should be defunded!
Again, this has nothing to do with the mask bylaw. Focus.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I note that "a pandemic is an epidemic of an infectious disease that has spread across a large region, for instance multiple continents or worldwide, affecting a substantial number of people." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic). Similar definition on Merriam-Webster.

How is this virus NOT (emphasis yours) pandemic?

Less then 2% of the population have tested positive for Covid-19, and it has a .03% death rate among the general population. The disease is slightly worse then the seasonal flu. So unless you consider the flu a pandemic worth shutting down our entire economy, devastating thousands of small business and bankrupting the country. These measures were totally unwarranted and the government should be held accountable for their reckless actions. I guarantee we see a class action lawsuits against the municipal, provincial, and federal governments by small business, and rightfully so. The government made knee jerk reactions based on faulty data. The City of Edmonton and Calgary are now making bad decisions based on public opinion not hard facts. And should be held to account for the damage they caused to small business as a result.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=raab;4221682]Less then 2% of the population have tested positive for Covid-19, and it has a .03% death rate among the general population. The disease is slightly worse then the seasonal flu. So unless you consider the flu a pandemic QUOTE]

Whether I consider a given strain of influenza to be pandemic is beside the point. We are discussing whether or not Covid-19 is a pandemic disease.

Covid-19 has infected over 22 million people (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries) on all continents. How does this not fit the definition of pandemic, as you assert in your previous post? (Science says this virus is NOT a pandemic in #21.)
Old 08-20-2020, 12:08 PM

Default credentials

I could care less about who or why masks were mandated in Edmonton.

However, I am really curious as to the scientific credentials the OP brings to the discussion.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Yes, I cannot stand donnydogoodgreenspenditall.

BW
We'd love to send you Nancy Spendshe if you've had enough of your guy.