Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-06-2020, 08:48 PM

Default How long do you hold on to a bow?

Just a question purely out of curiousity. Wondering how often others replace their bow set ups with a new one and why? This will be around year number 10 with my current set up. I replace strings every couple of years but other than that I've held off getting a new one as it seems do the job just fine, it feels like a glove, and frankly new ones aren't cheap.

I've kicked around getting into something newer but will probably run this one until I'm forced to get another however I'm interested in hearing others opinions.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:51 PM

Bought my last bow in 2009. Still shoot it well with new string etc.

I will shoot it until it breaks or I stop hitting the target.

Fun to shoot new stuff though. I save that for the shotgun games however.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hmmmm you do the math...1994....Jennings Sonic XLR.....moose, deer, yotes,rabbits......etc.....can't count how many new strings....30 yards and under...as Doug would say.....your bow sir....it will kill!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-07-2020, 09:43 PM

Still shooting my Hoyt VTEC that I purchased, if I remember correctly, in 2005. Still shoots well, so why change it? I love how it looks and shoots, and has journeyed hundreds - maybe thousands - of miles and hours through the wilderness with me. Sometimes I think of getting something new, but I see no real need, other than maybe gain a few more FPS.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:46 PM

Things have changed quite a bit n 10 yrs... will be like playing a new game now.

LC
Old 09-07-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Things have changed quite a bit n 10 yrs... will be like playing a new game now.

LC

I had a bow I held onto since 2004 and I just upgraded last year. All I can say I wow things have changed. The new one is so fast, solid backstop, and super easy for me to shoot. I get groups at 80 and 100 with it (practicing) that I couldnt get at 50 with the old trusty proven one.

I still dont see changing every year, but I sure wont wait 15 years again! Maybe every 5 at the most.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:43 AM

Not to de rail the thread but how often does one change strings on their bow?i bought my Z7 in 2006 an only changed The string once..and I shoot a lot.makes me wonder now..
Old 09-08-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
Not to de rail the thread but how often does one change strings on their bow?i bought my Z7 in 2006 an only changed The string once..and I shoot a lot.makes me wonder now..
Like oil... if it’s been 2-3 years, change it... if you shoot a lot (hunt and 3D) change after 1yr. Inspect serving and “roll over” points for wear. If it’s a hunting bow and it sees the elements, every season... 2 years tops.

LC
Old 09-08-2020, 01:20 PM

I held on to my first bow for 13 years; it was an old one to start with!

Mixed feelings when I sold it.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:19 PM
Banned

Sold a few bows I wish I would have kept, I’m not convinced the new ones are any better than the old ones.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:50 PM

I usually go in and shoot the flagship bows from the majors every couple of years to see. That said I haven’t upgraded in about 6 yrs because not enough has changed.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:21 PM

Hi Lefty; what could I expect to be different and better if I traded up from my 2007 Vulcan to a new bow? The last bow tech I dealt with said that bows were nearing what the laws of physics will allow a string and stick to achieve, and I wouldn’t see much improvement over my current set up. Thx in advance for the info.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-08-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Hi Lefty; what could I expect to be different and better if I traded up from my 2007 Vulcan to a new bow? The last bow tech I dealt with said that bows were nearing what the laws of physics will allow a string and stick to achieve, and I wouldn’t see much improvement over my current set up. Thx in advance for the info.
Go check out the Revolt series bows, they are incredible to tune. Nice draw cycle and solid back wall, also very forgiving. What are you shooting now? Go to one of the Jimbows locations and demo them.

LC
Old 09-09-2020, 06:11 AM

I'm getting back into archery again, using the Bowtech Equalizer I bought back in 2007 or 2008. I'll probably shoot a couple new bows for giggles while getting mine checked out and tuned up, but I don't really see much reason to upgrade at this point. Mine still works and and I can still hit what I'm aiming at.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:41 AM

I’m shooting a 2007 Hoyt Vulcan at about 65 lbs.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-09-2020, 09:48 AM
Banned

With everything...bows, firearms, cars, cameras....I replace when there is a real need or a substantial improvement.
Never been one to upgrade just to have something new.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:48 PM

Default Bow

I purchased a Bowtech RPM 360 about 5 years ago and will use it until it’s worn out,just fits and shoots very good still
Old 09-09-2020, 02:57 PM

Default your year is a bit off

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
Unless there's another company that makes a Z7 I think your year is a bit off. I've owned my Mathews Z7 since new when they first came out in 2010. I don't shoot all that often. Daily a month before hunting season starts, then only on and off after hunting season. I'm only on my second string change. Probably should change more often, but she still shoots great.

As to how often do I change bows. I guess I'm going on 10 years now with the same bow. Shot the new VXR at Jim Bow's the other day and it looks like I might be buying a new hat soon
Old 09-09-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Like oil... if it’s been 2-3 years, change it...

LC
Like fine wine if it tastes great/ shoots great enjoy and savour it.Im shooting a 2001 Reflex tundra was a division of Hoyt at the time. It shoots great, is really light and very quiet I don't need any thing more plus I shoot fingers and all the mini me bows are useless to me
Old 09-09-2020, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Like fine wine if it tastes great/ shoots great enjoy and savour it.Im shooting a 2001 Reflex tundra was a division of Hoyt at the time. It shoots great, is really light and very quiet I don't need any thing more plus I shoot fingers and all the mini me bows are useless to me
Original strings?
Old 09-09-2020, 11:24 PM

Surprised at the amount of folks piping up with "old" bows like me. With some of the ages stated maybe I'll shoot this thing for another 10 years lol.

Mines an old Hoyt Turbohawk. Middle of the road bow for the time but from what I understood very similar to the flagship but the riser is cast metal vs machined. Still shoots good, I can put 5 arrows in minute of heart consistently at 60 yards.

With that said some of the groups friends talk about up to and exceeding 100 yards with newer bows has had me wondering what I am missing. I don't plan to ever shoot that far though.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:07 AM

I have a Damon Howatt Hunter that was my Dad's. Believe it was bought in the early '60s. He took a lot of deer with it and I've certainly harvested over 30 and one Moose, love the way it shoots, very forgiving. Still going strong. And by the way, the doe I took last year was with a Fred Bear traditional Broadhead, still have a good supply although I do own a lot of other heads.

Also, have an old 2 wheeler from the '80s Can't remember who built it in southern Alberta. The Archery factory comes to mind. Still can touch arrow groups at 30 yards.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-10-2020, 08:13 AM

My new-to-me bow is nine years old...

Leaps and bounds better than my old one.