Old 08-25-2020, 07:17 AM

Default Exterminator grade mouse poison

Where can I get the good stuff?
Thanks
Old 08-25-2020, 07:34 AM

Default here

Air Canada
Old 08-25-2020, 08:16 AM

Feral cat, sorry again could not resist, must be the Corona.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:22 AM

Is there such a thing anymore ? I've been feeding boxes of the warfarin stuff to my rodents and the live catch traps keep filling up.

Grizz
Old 08-25-2020, 08:24 AM

I heard the red stuff is working this year for mice (get at UFA). Not sure what poison is in it but worth a try. Was feeding the green blocks to voles to the point they were crapping green. Had better luck trapping them on their way to the poison as the poison was doing nothing.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:17 AM

Maybe fake news.But i heard,that poisoning gophers & the likes.Was going to made illegal.I think,that they're just controlling certain poisons.Anyone heard of this.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:32 AM

Stricnine sp was being considered to be restricted in some provinces, was used for wolf control in past, still some used today but only by those highly trained to use it. Birds, marten, etc will also be killed if they consume carcus.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:37 AM

There use to be a product called gopher doom. It worked great. I haven't seen it for a while but some Counties have a strychnine based product available for sale usually in the Spring. Contact your local County Ag Dept..

I often wondered what the rationale was to have a poison that took multiple feedings to work and most times did not, rather than having a more potent product that took a single feeding. Talk about
Old 08-25-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Stricnine sp was being considered to be restricted in some provinces, was used for wolf control in past, still some used today but only by those highly trained to use it. Birds, marten, etc will also be killed if they consume carcus.
The latest scoop on that. Registration cancelled. A lot of farmers are going to miss it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...trychnine.html

Best way I've found is the multiple catch live traps, followed by swimming lesson.

Grizz
Old 08-25-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I heard the red stuff is working this year for mice (get at UFA). Not sure what poison is in it but worth a try. Was feeding the green blocks to voles to the point they were crapping green. Had better luck trapping them on their way to the poison as the poison was doing nothing.
You now need a legal land description to buy mouse poison at UFA. I tried to buy some this past weekend and was denied. Have to talk with my dad to get me some for the sheds and cabin at the lake.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:03 AM

A 5 gallon pail with some oats in the bottom and a stick. Then dispose of them however you want to.

BW
Old 08-25-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
There use to be a product called gopher doom. It worked great. I haven't seen it for a while but some Counties have a strychnine based product available for sale usually in the Spring. Contact your local County Ag Dept..

I often wondered what the rationale was to have a poison that took multiple feedings to work and most times did not, rather than having a more potent product that took a single feeding. Talk about
Big animals don't usually die with the longer acting poisons. Dogs, etc. can process it.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Big animals don't usually die with the longer acting poisons. Dogs, etc. can process it.
It's an anti coagulant, basically the same as they give to human coronary patients. Rationale being, if they eat enough of it, they will bleed out. the bigger the animal, the more it takes. Thing being, apparently nobody told the mice.

Grizz
Old 08-25-2020, 05:40 PM

Default I had

Deer mice eat 2 lbs of Warafin and my Coleman tent trailer over one winter.Dead mice everywhere then I clubbed another dozen+ with a stick a total write off for insurance .