Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2020, 09:35 AM

The very best was a Big Red trike, you could walk on logs/grass humps beside it and run throttle. Next is light Quad , large tires and chains on all 4 wheels. I find SxS to big and unable to pick best ground to get through worst stretch of muskeg.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:19 AM

Default muskeg

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...bombardier.jpg
Old 08-22-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitou210 View Post

They are cool but the old Nodwells and Bombariers we used to use didn't float. That was a key weakness that caused many to end up unrecoverable in a Muskeg. The PassPartout, Argo, Cotts and Yotes floated, that is what made them very hard to beat in true Muskeg.Does this new model float in open water?

Last edited by Dean2; 08-22-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:49 AM

Do any of you old seismic boys remember how the 9N/2N Ford tractors with tracks worked in 50's for muskeg. I noticed one in picture posted for tracked vehicles.
I like Positracs swamp vehicle. The most important by far is clearance, which he has designed real well. He must have lot experience with all that muskeg north east of Ft Mac.

Last edited by Big Grey Wolf; 08-22-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:51 PM

Said in jest but probably the ultimate muskeg machine would be to saddle up a moose. They'll go thru muskeg real good. And you won't scare any moose you see.

Make sure to take your snowshoes along for when you have to walk out after getting your machines stuck.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-22-2020, 02:17 PM

Up here in Northern Alberta, where muskeg is pretty much the only terrain we have to ride on, most of us run a quad. We all upgrade the tires to a larger, dedicated mud tire. There's no question that argo's, tracks, etc. are better for mud and muskeg but for the average guy a quad with the right tires works fine.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:52 PM

I would go with the 6x6 unit. More rubber on the ground.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Of the two choices given, the 6x6 but with the tracks that go over the tires. A friend put a set on his 6x6, and it really improved performance in the muskeg. If you must use the choices exactly ad listed, the atv, simply because it will be easier to winch out of the muskeg.
^^^this
Old 08-24-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This is spot on. With either of your choices stay out of the real Muskeg. When I lived in Slave Lake there were a lot of real bad soft areas prior to freeze up. I used a real light 2 wheel drive Honda 300 with extra large medium aggressive tires. That rig would easily go where most 4x4 quads would bog down and get stuck. You need light with a lot of tire to get flotation, that quad would just about float in open water, but once that fails you best have a good winch cause you are going to be really stuck.

Take a swamp anchor for winching to so you aren't restricted to using trees because even if you can reach one it likely won't hold.
One version, there are also ones that can be collapsed and extended quickly.

This guy has it figured out especially with the anchor, but beware if u get buried you're in for a world of hurt trying to get out.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:54 PM

I would take the 6x6 with tracks on the rear and J Wheels on the front tires.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:47 AM

Everything everyone is suggesting is also dependent on the condition of the skeg itself and how many people been going through there

Quad tracks are good but if your front track dips it can go under a mat or log forward momentum ceases and your stuck track profile also is meant for forward direction winching backwards is a pain unless you have a couple planks for them to ride up on. another minus is Tracks stress drive train especially in skeg.

As some said already tracks may be a better option on your Old style Ranger 6x6 being as the rear axles were solid they were simpler to track heard of guys modifying used 15" snowmobile tracks, gain traction and flotation great! BUT week link is they are front heavy I know mine is I put new 26x11-12 all way round helps a fair bit, Saw one guy dual up his fronts for more flotation. can imagine how hard to steer this rig up with armstrong steering.

If its been played in the biological mat will be torn up and there will be no support for either machine you own.

If its loon **** skeg watery then only machine to handle it is an Argo 8x8. Better yet an Argo 8x8 equipped with Adair tracks
look up Rock Doctor on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdsKbROMfvU

If it has a good mat not chewed up and careful try to ride willows/edge avoiding dark spots and DONT rip er you may be able putt thru on either machine you currently own. The following is a video showing Can Am Outlander 6x6 very similar to the old Big Boss 6x6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chw3HbfCzbw
Old 08-25-2020, 05:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Tracked Argo if I had to but would avoid it cuz man there are some places of no return.....wait til the freeze....even then be careful....a load of moose meat even over an area already travelled makes things dicey....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-25-2020, 11:13 AM

Every veteran of the Skeg who has posted so far is correct about the futility of a machine ever conquering a skeg.

What everyone needs to know about getting stuck in a skeg, no matter what your machine may be, is that you need a very very good come along, with alot of cable (not rope, it stretches) as well as a very good chain saw.

I buried a King Quad on a torn up skeg, and was able to winch out 4 times, until the electric winch burned out. Then, I managed to use my come along, with cable, to do the 5th & 6th pull, until it twisted and jammed.

Each and every time, I fired up the chainsaw and "corduroyed" the area in front of the machine to get it up and out of the skeg, only to make 100 feet before breaking through again.

Then I started walking until I had cell service to call my brother who was asleep in the wall tent, after eating a nice breakfast, and who had avoided trying to conquer the skeg. He looked at how bad I was stuck, and refused to drive any closer than he had to for the recovery.

So, is it really worth it? No machine short of a helicopter will be bullet proof. If you have to go through the skeg, spend more time on putting together the tools you will need to carry to get back out of it.

The skeg will always win.

Drewski
Old 08-25-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Every veteran of the Skeg who has posted so far is correct about the futility of a machine ever conquering a skeg.

What everyone needs to know about getting stuck in a skeg, no matter what your machine may be, is that you need a very very good come along, with alot of cable (not rope, it stretches) as well as a very good chain saw.

I buried a King Quad on a torn up skeg, and was able to winch out 4 times, until the electric winch burned out. Then, I managed to use my come along, with cable, to do the 5th & 6th pull, until it twisted and jammed.

Each and every time, I fired up the chainsaw and "corduroyed" the area in front of the machine to get it up and out of the skeg, only to make 100 feet before breaking through again.

Then I started walking until I had cell service to call my brother who was asleep in the wall tent, after eating a nice breakfast, and who had avoided trying to conquer the skeg. He looked at how bad I was stuck, and refused to drive any closer than he had to for the recovery.

So, is it really worth it? No machine short of a helicopter will be bullet proof. If you have to go through the skeg, spend more time on putting together the tools you will need to carry to get back out of it.

The skeg will always win.

Drewski
Sage advice.

Sometimes your efforts are better used to cut a trail around the skeg, less work too.

The best I ever used for Skeg was a 200ES big red. Light, and could get off and walk it through. That being said, it to got stuck in skeg, being it was light weight it was easier to get out.

BW
Old 08-25-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Sage advice.

Sometimes your efforts are better used to cut a trail around the skeg, less work too.

The best I ever used for Skeg was a 200ES big red. Light, and could get off and walk it through. That being said, it to got stuck in skeg, being it was light weight it was easier to get out.

BW

True, cause the one thing many guys forget, if you can barely get a quad with you on it through, how the heck do you plan on getting a Moose back across. One of the tings I learned 30 years back, never shoot game where it takes more than a day to recover it. As good as wild meat is, none of it is good enough to warrant more than a mile of packing it on your back. Take its picture, enjoy the moment, move on. Come back after freeze up.