Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2020, 07:03 PM

Default Bugs killing my tree

My tree hasn’t been doing well and the other similar trees in my neighborhood haven’t been doing well for years I’ve pulled back the bark and I suspect I’ve caught the culprit. Does anyone know what these are and is there anything that I can do about it? Worst comes to worst I’ve got chain saw and no feeling for this tree but it does provide some nice shade in the summer.

Thanks everyone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0E5F0BE1-B64C-4E01-BAD7-4B698D5B2D9D.jpg (53.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpeg A8F93A3A-472F-4716-9AC2-8791F0B2F679.jpeg (32.4 KB, 162 views)
Old 08-23-2020, 10:08 PM

What species of tree is this? My gut is saying Manchurian Ash, but that’s a long shot. Probably 99%+ of those trees were wiped out in Calgary almost 20 years ago by a boring beetle, but the odd one still exists. Can you post pics of the entire tree and the leaves? Otherwise I’m just guessing.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2020, 08:19 AM

There was a product called :CYGON" and I am not sure if you can still get it.

It is a paint on oil that you apply to the trunk in the spring near the base. As the sap goes up, it carries the insecticide and kills the bugs.

Not for use on fruit trees though.

You might want to look into this, but odds are your tree is too far gone to make a difference.

Drewski
Old 08-24-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
What species of tree is this? My gut is saying Manchurian Ash, but that’s a long shot. Probably 99%+ of those trees were wiped out in Calgary almost 20 years ago by a boring beetle, but the odd one still exists. Can you post pics of the entire tree and the leaves? Otherwise I’m just guessing.

Tree

This tree is original to the area put in by the builders. I don’t know what type it is but all the other in the area are looking pretty sad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A67EF8E6-DB6C-4135-B335-0EB9A07942BB.jpg (43.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 947B11DD-5DF2-4558-A1E3-50C3A693C0E2.jpg (44.7 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-24-2020, 07:41 PM

Hey Dubious. Thanks for the pics.

What you have is just a regular Green Ash. Very common here in Calgary. Other than a few obvious dead branches, I’d call this a pretty healthy tree for the most part

So what you have is Western Ash Bark Beetle. Your first pic shows newly hatched larvae.

https://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/agricultur...=1200352186337

They are newer to town. I probably first started seeing them around 2008 iirc. If you cut out a dead branch you’ll find 1mm ventilation holes in a ring. This cuts the branch off from the trunk, ultimately killing it.

The bark will be a pinkish colour where the gallery is. They were a pain back then and are apparently even worse now.

Heavy infestations can potentially kill the tree (you do not have a heavy infestation). Usually just makes them unsightly though and the tree limps along.

As of right now there is no known chemical treatment. Your only choice is to have a tree properly pruned, physically removing the threat, then preferably burning the branches after. Lots of water and doing everything possible to help promote the health of the tree is good and helps it to combat these miserable buggers.

Good luck. Your tree will survive.

Tree