Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Where does it say how long his friend worked for this company?
Assumed he meant he was at the place for 22 years as he mentioned he’d been there for a bit and was senior guy but your right it was just an assumption.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Unless he's in the union, or they told him he was fired for being black, I don't think he has a case.
It sucks, but burning bridges won't be beneficial.
^^^^ This..

Chalk it up under the "this sucks" category and get back at it.

Personally I wouldn't be worried about any kind of severance, just move along.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
It’s funny he said to me in my 22 years wrenching I’ve never burnt one bridge but when that arrogant ..... went to shake my hand and said if things ever pick up I’ll hire you back he told him he could suck his d... he said something just felt right about it lol
How old is he. He sould chat with a lawyer (first visit is usally free) as things are never cut & try when long term employees are let go and what they gave him seems a little lite. Also age can be a factor.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I have a buddy who recently got laid off at his place of work now he had been there the longest and made the most hourly never got written up or no verbal warnings nothing but praise however the owner let him go instead of apprentices and other j men that came after him, it’s a federally ran company, Now I told him it doesn’t matter about the good work and ethic or seniority that he did and had it was the owners choice who to let go, but he thinks he has a case for the labour board, I told him to just move on and jack it up to experience, but I guess he is just hurt with all that he gave the company to do this to him over a few dollars, what do you guys think anyone go through this before?
You mentioned the labour board. Is this a union job or not? His options will no doubt depend on the answer to that question. And did he sign the papers?
Old 08-24-2020, 08:19 AM

He’s entitled to more severance than 2 weeks. A quick call to the labour board will answer his questions.

This is a double edged sword this getting rid of people thing. It’s nice to have job security On the other hand we’ve all worked with “that person.” The lazy bitchy one who should be fired, well in Alberta it’s easy just pay the severance and get on with it. I’ve both been fired and fired people who were a pain in the ass. Paying the severance and getting on with it is easy.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
He’s entitled to more severance than 2 weeks. A quick call to the labour board will answer his questions.
Assuming he didn't sign a release before collecting severance. That would complicate things. I agree that more severance would likely apply in this case without knowing all the details.