Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-02-2020, 11:29 PM

Default Firearms Course

Decided it finally time to learn how to shoot a firearm properly and go hunting.

Looking at booking my course in the next week or so just had a couple questions:

1) Any place you highly recommend in Edmonton or surrounding area to do the course that involves a lot of hands on?
2) Is the book and course a good enough introduction or do you guys recommend another book or website as well that helps beginners out?

I plan on doing both restricted and non restricted, will have a lot more questions once I get it done!

Very excited and thanks in advance!

*Probably should have posted in the Guns and Ammo Section, apologies

Last edited by Hamsnacks; 03-02-2020 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
Decided it finally time to learn how to shoot a firearm properly and go hunting.

Looking at booking my course in the next week or so just had a couple questions:

1) Any place you highly recommend in Edmonton or surrounding area to do the course that involves a lot of hands on?

2) Is the book and course a good enough introduction or do you guys recommend another book or website as well that helps beginners out?

I plan on doing both restricted and non restricted, will have a lot more questions once I get it done!

Very excited and thanks in advance!

*Probably should have posted in the Guns and Ammo Section, apologies

The book was good enough for me but if you have friends that have rifles / pistols see if you can sit with them for a while and learn to handle them. As a total noob to pistol I wish that I had handled more prior to the course just to be a little more confident. I passed with flying colors just reading the book.

Acts and prove.... be safe. Watch the muzzle direction. Know where it's ok to point the firearm during the test.

Sent from my SM-A102W using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post

All the firearms course gives you is a primary dose of critical firearms safety. Use it, live it, and be safe.

However, there is not much on how to shoot a firearm (shotgun, rifle or pistol) properly (for me that means consistent accuracy), and in a large class, there is nowhere near enough handling of firearms.

To go hunting, I believe you also need to complete the Hunter Education Program.

I would recommend:
  1. read the Firearms Course book and know it well.
  2. Contact a range near you and see if someone is willing to mentor you.
  3. Get all the handling in that you can prior to the course.
  4. Take the course
  5. Consider mentored hunts initially to get your feet wet.
Vic
Old 03-03-2020, 01:35 PM

She teaches at Cabelas South Edmonton. Plus though out the province.

Women especially. Non restricted and restricted. She is busy. Lots of different guns.

https://www.facebook.com/theGunGirl.ca/

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 03-03-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:58 PM

My wife and I used Trained Right with Blake Prince a few years ago to get both pal and rpal. There were a couple people in the class who had obviously never even seen a firearm in real life and he made sure everyone was comfortable with the necessary information before moving on to the next section. Lots of hands on to get familiar with guns you may not have handled before.