Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 07:48 AM

Default What to expect at Calgary Sportman Show

Thinking of heading to the show with my son this weekend. Never been to one and just wondering if it’s worth making the few hour trek for us to get there. The boat show would be interesting as we are in the market for a newer one but not brand new. And of course we’re into hunting and fishing.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:59 AM

If your expectations aren't too high and you're just looking for something to do out of the cold, it's a decent afternoon.

I've heard that a few boat dealers pulled out this year or drastically scaled back their floor space, and I know that The Fishin' Hole will not have their booth setup this year (they're doing a sale at the store instead).

If you're in the market for wakeboard boats and some runabouts, maybe a good deal on some watersports gear, it's a good show. If you're looking for fishing boats and/or hunting and fishing stuff, you might be a bit disappointed. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd drive for 3-4 hrs just to go to the show. I'm in Calgary, and I probably won't go this year now that TFH has pulled out.

It's really long drive in your case, but the Edmonton show in March is far better.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:23 AM

I find its mostly boat manufacturers and outfitters trying to promote themselves. Throw in a few fishing manufacturers, f&W booth and of course the boat safety testing. When the Fishin Hole was there you could find some decent deals if you were looking for higher priced items like rod, reels or electronics. The rest of the stuff didnt justify the cost of the ticket and parking.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-07-2019, 09:03 AM

It's a lot of water sports stuff. It's a fun way to spend an afternoon, but I couldn't see myself traveling 3-4 hours to attend it.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:29 AM

Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:07 PM

I wouldn't waste two cents on it. Years ago it was good but not any more.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:17 PM

Sarcee Fish and Game will have a big area.

If my memory of the map is correct there will be the following interactive stuff for kids to try:
- foam archery shoot
- kids fish pond
- build your own birdhouse
- trapping display
- Junior forest ranger display
- fly fishing learning center.

Other than that, the previous posts are correct. A bunch of new boats and outfitters.

If you are coming to Calgary with a little guy, I recommend stopping in at the Bow River habitat Station. It was just renovated and opened this week.

My nephew loves going there.

I will be volunteering at the Bow River Trout Foundation booth on Saturday afternoon, come say hi to Jason. Would love to talk about what we are doing to help the river and fishermen.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:20 PM

Thinking about it a little more, how old is your son? I went there with my dad in the mid 90s, and as a little guy, I had a hoot. There was a fishing simulator where for a few dollars you could "catch" bass or salmon. There was also a small pool set up where kids could fish for stocked rainbows. I thought all of that was pretty extraordinary as a 6 year old, but that was also in a time before iPads and everything kids have today.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:22 PM

Always found Chris G's outfitting booth hilarious, especially the one year he had a 'bodyguard'. Not sure if he's been there lately.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Always found Chris G's outfitting booth hilarious, especially the one year he had a 'bodyguard'. Not sure if he's been there lately.
I 100% missed this... REALLY????? Do we have a thread?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I 100% missed this... REALLY????? Do we have a thread?
This was a few years back now. He put up security cameras to film visitors to his booth and had a big fat guy as his 'bodyguard' due to all of the 'haters' out there.

I was face to face with the little guy. The display looked like it was printed off an old dot matrix printer with the hole perforations on each side of the page and a cheesy photo album.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
This was a few years back now. He put up security cameras to film visitors to his booth and had a big fat guy as his 'bodyguard' due to all of the 'haters' out there.

I was face to face with the little guy. The display looked like it was printed off an old dot matrix printer with the hole perforations on each side of the page and a cheesy photo album.
That's freaking hilarious!!!!
Old 02-07-2019, 05:24 PM

Alberta Hunter ED (AHEIA) always has a big game fishing simulator, and a shooting simulator. Archery area.

There is usually a live birds of prey display, and the radio ads are saying there is a reptile display this year.

What kid doesn't love mini-donuts?

If you think that you are interested in Kuiu clothing, Dallas is having a display set up. Kuiu is mail order only. There will be the opportunity of trying on for size and seeing the product in the flesh. This is top quality clothing, but it does fit a little small, so it is nice to be able to try it on.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:30 PM

OP,

If you live in Creston, there used to be a heck of a boat store at the head of Kootenay Lake at Kaslo. I haven't been there in forever.

https://www.jonesboysboats.com/
Old 02-07-2019, 08:40 PM

X2 for checking out the Kuiu booth. Thats the biggest reason I am going.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:46 PM

I went today with my boys lots of ski boats some nice fishing boats going aboard the big kingfisher was the highlight for me. My boys are a little young but the conservation booth had archery and pellet gun targets for kids. And there’s an a bird booth with a bunch of live owls and a golden eagle pretty cool. Some nice shotguns up for raffle to.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:24 PM

I was done work early, so I took my 12 year old down this afternoon... we go every year, just to see what’s new, enter all the raffles and fundraisers etc.

The first thing we noticed was that the vendor numbers this year seemed to be WAAAY down over years past. No twin anchors houseboat, no fishin’ hole. We still had a good time though.
I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new boat - but self control got the better of me. The kids fishing pond had a bunch of hungry, dumb trout in there, so Matthew hooked fish after fish, which he loved. Usually we’re there on Saturday and they’re educated enough by then that he’s never caught one. Had some good BS sessions with the guys at the Calgary fish and game association - so wound up joining their group.
It was nice going down on a week night. Wasn’t crowded, and the vendors were all energetic and enthusiastic.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghunter View Post
X2 for checking out the Kuiu booth. Thats the biggest reason I am going.
I made sure to settle all my football bets for this.

They don't get big by being dumb.