Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2018, 03:45 PM

Default CALGARY VOTES OLYMPICS 2026 Advance Nov 6 & 7. Nov 13 vote day

http://vote2018.calgary.ca/home.html

Apathy in this instance could cost you thousands if you are on the "no" side.

Check out where you can advance poll on Nov 6 & 7.

Folks.

Read up on the fact the profits go the Olympic Committee. There will be no profit. Costs only go up. Debt will be incurred both in Calgary, and in Alberta, and in Canada.

You cannot escape unless you leave Canada!

Fighting for a 17 day party that takes decades to pay off is the reason the "yes" side is pushing so hard.

If we have surplus money...hire more F&W cops. Improve stocked lakes. Make another fish hatchery. Build new campgrounds. There are many better places for spending money from an outdoorsman's point of view.

We don't have pipelines and Alberta is losing billions. We are still losing jobs. Not the time for more debt and we are not even building future infrastructure...just putting a shine on old tired run down facilities.

We will also have to pay BC/Whistler to use their facilities as ours are outdated.

Crazy to see us spending millions on this vote.

Sigh.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-05-2018, 04:20 PM

Hey Sundance, they shouldn't forget our Veterans either.
The truedope has been "dancing around" and "sneaking around" the subject for far too long!
Old 11-05-2018, 04:53 PM

No sense putting any money into this economy, Calgary is booming right now ! Nobody needs the extra work that would be involved, or the tourism dollars. The Feds can spend that money down East on the Auto sector and such. I was all in on the” No “vote, not so much anymore once I’ve listened to both sides of the arguments. Nothing going into an economy, equals nothing coming out of an economy. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, we will find out down the road which was the right one.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Banned

No to the agenda, no to being robbed by corrupt corporate billionaire globalist interests, no to hosting an international party for irrelevant athletes that compete in irrelevant sports that people shamelessly pretend to care about for two weeks once every four years.

These people are not role models, how realistic is it to expect some young child to be inspired and decide to become a 2 man luge gold medalist?

It would be hilarious if the games are forced upon us and the nhl never returns to participating, i wonder how yes voter's would feel about that very real possibility, the nhl opted out of participation because they know the ioc is a terrible business partner that never shares their stolen wealth!,their is NO guarantee that you will see nhl players at the 2026 games, remember that when you vote...

NO NO NO.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=25s&v=JVktCIXd2qo

Last edited by ReconWilly; 11-05-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:36 PM

Just saw on the news that they have no way of tracking who has voted or how many times... What next?
Old 11-05-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
Just saw on the news that they have no way of tracking who has voted or how many times... What next?
Who cares? It’s non binding. Seriously how is this even a thing? A non binding vote....
Old 11-06-2018, 08:14 AM

The yes side is spending that million dollars. My young neighbor with preschool kids has a nice sign on his lawn to vote yes. These signs will go up all over the city. I think this vote will come down to the younger generation vs the older generation. But still now worth fighting with neighbor.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Who cares? It’s non binding. Seriously how is this even a thing? A non binding vote....
Probably only binding if the yes side vote comes out ahead. What a farce and waste of money.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
It's binding if it's not approved. The Province won't kick in it's funding if the "no" side is victorious.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:01 PM

Default ... and just a little icing on the cake

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gram-1.4882619
Old 11-06-2018, 03:11 PM

just put in my address to see where to go vote and says its not valid... I do live on an acreage outside the city but my address is Calgary...
Old 11-06-2018, 03:31 PM

This will cost my family a few thousand if everything goes on budget, which will never happen. The City won't release the details for us to look over, this is definitely a red flag... do your own research, but I am definitely on the No side
Old 11-06-2018, 03:43 PM

I am definitely on the no side as well. They are still arguing about who will pay for the cost overruns. Huge red flag in my book. Spending for the sake of spending doesn't help an economy. The money still needs to be paid back. No wonder Canada has such high consumer debt levels with mentalities like this.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:57 PM

I don't live in the city so i won't get a vote, but I'm sure I will get to pay for it if it goes through. I see some of points on both sides, creates jobs for builds and renos, but also creates a tone of debt, I don't think any of us want right now.
I have not heard much in the way of not if but when the project goes over budget, who covers that. (As if I don't know) Who can predict the price of materials 5 years down the road? The security bill alone will be out of this world.
They keep saying legacy of the games, but has there been any more word on the arena? I have been looking but must be missing it. If they are thinking of putting the ski events in BC at Whistler, what's stopping them from putting the hockey events up in Edmonton in Rodgers?? So much non info to put a yes vote in.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:03 PM
Banned

Lots of yes people bringing up the point of 1.5 billion dollars of federal money that wouldn't otherwise be directed towards the city, i am just wondering what percentage of that money came from Alberta transfer payments to the feds?

I like the argument that the game's will have some sort of positive impact on Calgary's %35 down town office vacancy, explain how?

Real hard number's only, my emotional heart strings cannot be pulled on.

Virtue signaling and identity politics mixed with sports?

No thanks.

Canada needs to repair it's image on the world stage but no sporting event will fix our image, we need to clean our filthy mess of a house before we invite the world in for a party.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:33 PM

It seems very noteworthy that Evan Woolley, chair of Calgary City Council’s Olympic Committee, has clearly stated his opposition to this bid, as he says that there is too much uncertainty and doubt and the risk is too high.....and he is better informed that virtually all of the public, as he has been "at the table" when the discussions were held!

The proposed budget for security is roughly $500 million, which is less than what security cost for the Vancouver games......Didn't they spend more than that on security for the G7 or G8 meeting in eastern Canada a few years ago, and that was politicians from 7 countries meeting in one spot for about 3 days???

The YES folks keep extolling the virtues of all the upgrades and facilities, but as I recall, there is maybe 500 million in new venues (field house and a small arena) and roughly 500 million in upgrades (McMahon, Big 4 building, etc).

There is a proposal to spend $20 million on an insurance policy to provide $200million in cost over-run insurance........but apparently no one really knows if that is available at that cost. Who can predict what the actual costs will be, given that this is 8 years down the road.....

Let's be honest, it's very well known that public projects ALWAYS are bid at higher profit margins than private projects. Furthermore, if this goes ahead, the contractors will be fully aware that this HAS to be built so they will all bid relatively high........

Knowledgeable economists say that the economic benefits of the Olympics are ALWAYS exaggerated........

In my view, tweaking the budget to get 'under the limit' is like going to buy a car. The dealership wants $40K, but you only have $25K, so you 'pretend' to buy the car, but the one you buy does not have a back seat, windshield and perhaps no drive train.........that 'agreement' was absolute nonsense!!

I will be casting my vote next week, for sure........
Cheers
Hawkeye
Old 11-06-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
No sense putting any money into this economy, Calgary is booming right now ! Nobody needs the extra work that would be involved, or the tourism dollars. The Feds can spend that money down East on the Auto sector and such. I was all in on the” No “vote, not so much anymore once I’ve listened to both sides of the arguments. Nothing going into an economy, equals nothing coming out of an economy. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, we will find out down the road which was the right one.
Similar logic the yes side is using is to say give them $4 billion and 15 years later it is paid off. Jobs are mostly done day after it is over. Facilities retrofitted still need to be torn down sooner than later.

These guys have not done their homework. They didn’t even contact Whistler. Gezz you would think you would scope out a venue you had no control over.

Guaranteed after everything is approved they will start fixing up the Saddledome. Next day it will be said it can’t be fixed and a new build is needed.

If I trusted their proposal was even a +\- 25% number the confidence will be there.

What we have is a number +\- 200%.

I don’t invest on hope. Strategy for fools to part with their money
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-06-2018, 04:50 PM

I said No to Edmonton”s New Rink. The new Rink is nice. However Calgary Rink has more seating capacity. I still will stick with No vote.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:40 PM

OMG.

All money is spent on the yes side.

Repeated robo calls to listen to yes side talk.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
It makes sense to put money into the economy. Just not into the olympics. Even if it breaks even which is highly unlikely it's of such low return on investment and the few temporary jobs it is simply stupid to place taxpayer money there. There are so many things that we could invest the money into in this province that would get a great return and 10 fold times as many permanent full time long term jobs.

It seems many can't see or think past a huge flash in the pan showboating party that will be forgotten within a few days after it's over, except for the payments payments which will last decades. Reminds me of the person who lives in a shack who goes out and finances a $100,000 car cause it makes him feel good while he and his family eat Kraft dinner every day and can't afford school supplies. The people promoting this are worse than the slimiest used car salesmen.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:39 PM

Opps, double posted
Old 11-08-2018, 10:35 PM

All the research I've done on this tells me that it's NEVER worth it financially in jobs, profit, additional revenue from feds or whoever, etc. If this was a wise investment, even long-term or whatever, I'd vote yes.

But my understanding is that objective studies show that this never turns out as a gain for the hosting city. So I'm solidly on the no side!
Old 11-08-2018, 11:19 PM
Banned

Why can’t they just pick one location for both Summer and Winter games?
Make each site permanent and that is where the Olympics are held.
Then each Nation that sends athletes can make contributions to the infrastructure.
No need for different cities to compete to host and billions of tax dollars wasted in economies around the world.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Why can’t they just pick one location for both Summer and Winter games?
Make each site permanent and that is where the Olympics are held.
Then each Nation that sends athletes can make contributions to the infrastructure.
No need for different cities to compete to host and billions of tax dollars wasted in economies around the world.
Your right.. it should be here every 4 years!
Old 11-09-2018, 06:53 AM

There are 200+ countries in world that can host it. Canada last had Olympics in 2010. How about Sweden, Germany, Norway, Austria, Suisse, Italy, Czech, name a few. Forced upon Calgarians. Elites trying to force Debt onto Albertans, while they party it up. These are same people whom preaching global warming (Notley/Trudeau), Trying to Break Calgarians. Say No Calgary...

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/w...an-government/
Old 11-09-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
There are 200+ countries in world that can host it. Canada last had Olympics in 2010. How about Sweden, Germany, Norway, Austria, Suisse, Italy, Czech, name a few. Forced upon Calgarians. Elites trying to force Debt onto Albertans, while they party it up. These are same people whom preaching global warming (Notley/Trudeau), Trying to Break Calgarians. Say No Calgary...

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/w...an-government/
Elites are in full force. https://globalnews.ca/news/4646722/k...eline-blocked/

Saw this.

https://www.redbubble.com/people/mma...sel&style=mens
Old 11-09-2018, 07:41 AM

"Just say NO"

That should be the official slogan..
Old 11-09-2018, 07:24 PM

Anyone read the article in the sun today about what McMahon will look like for the olympics ? Between that and the drawings that came out from the cities rebuttal to Calgarynext ... what a load of hot garbage. Take out good prime seats and only add temporary seating like a grey cup. The guy they had on fan960 from Vancouver Olympic committee really made me hate it more . In one sentence he says the ‘ Olympic veneer ‘does wonders at putting temporary lipstick on a pig and the next says we will have world class facilities. What a load of crap.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:52 AM
Banned

Anyone that calls this a event for ELITES has no clue what they are talking about. I have been to 2 now. I partied as kid Downtown and I saw my Son play street hockey in the middle of Vancouver. in NO WAY is this for the elite. Give your heads a shake .
Old 11-10-2018, 12:53 AM
Banned

This is a good article and really hits close to home.
We Calgarians, at our very core, are entrepreneurs, builders, leaders, and innovators. In dark times, we help each other and dig deep to overcome anything. At the worst of times, our ambition, determination and proactiveness persevere. So when did we lose our soul as a community? When did our heart as a city stop beating? Everywhere I go in Calgary today, I hear a tremendous amount of negativity, cynicism and indifference. So, I am sounding the alarm bell — it is time to wake up Calgary! Amidst the recent political confusion around Calgary’s Olympic and Paralympic bid, we run the risk of losing an opportunity to rebuild and redefine our city and ourselves. Many of you are concerned about the economics of the games. I share your concerns and there is no question that the economic case has been poorly communicated. But funding has been secured and now federal, provincial, and municipal finances will leverage contributions from the International Olympic Committee. This funding will help support and create over 15,400 jobs (full-time equivalents), generate about $1 billion of additional labour income, and an estimated 25,000 volunteer opportunities. If you still have concerns about budget overruns, bear in mind that Calgary 2026 will be the first Games utilizing Agenda 2020, a new set of guidelines released by the IOC to utilize already-existing facilities rather than building brand new ones. Because of the legacy infrastructure from the 1988 Olympics, Calgary already has 87 per cent of the facilities required to host the Games. We Calgarians invented the term “on time and on budget.” But this is about more than just the Olympic and Paralympic Games. The Games create a beacon for Calgary and will help reignite the soul of our city. Perhaps these benefits are less tangible and quantifiable than the economic case — but that does not make them less important. In showcasing our city, province and country to the world, we will also be broadcasting our entrepreneurial spirit, our diversity, our talents, our strengths and our ambitions. The Games will constitute an important part of our legacy and will bestow upon future generations almost innumerable benefits by encouraging them to reach higher and elevate all of us in doing so. To our industry leaders, I urge you to stand up and support the Olympic bid. In past recessions, industry has stood with Calgary and committed to investing in our community. I implore our industry leaders to get engaged. You are not just executives of your company, you are leaders in your community. To our political leaders, I beg you to put citizens first. To our municipal leaders, roll up your sleeves and get it done! Don’t just raise our taxes and our municipal debt, but be innovative in how you spend our dollars. You told us we can host the Olympics in a fiscally responsible way, now prove it. We need the petty infighting to stop, and we need you to lead and inspire us. Give us hope. Give us leadership. To our federal government, Calgary and Alberta have been there for all Canadians, and it is time you are there for us! To you, my fellow Calgarians, I ask you to join me and fight for an opportunity in front of us. Don’t let this be a plebiscite on city hall. This isn’t about them. This is about us. This is about who we are as Calgarians. We get things done. We have hosted the world before and have done it better than anyone, and we can do it again. To those on both sides of the Calgary 2026 debate, I simply cannot remain silent as I see an opportunity that could bolster our economy and restart our pulse. This is about more than the Olympic and Paralympic Games. This is about the future and soul of our city. Doug Mitchell, national co-chair, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, is a former commissioner of the Canadian Football League, former NHL governor for the Calgary Flames and is a member of the Order of Canada.