Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-19-2012, 02:30 AM

Default black guns/ semi auto rifles

so hoping for some info on black guns. i am really wanting one just for playing around with/coyotes etc. my budget would be around 2000 but could go a little higher for the right weapon. one of my buddies has a sks and has put quite a bit of work into it and it looks nothing like how it did when purchased, it's performance is great. not so sure if i want the large caliber like that though, what would you guys suggest for .223 ? any help with this is appreciated as all i've ever owned is traditional hunting rifles and shotguns. thanks for any input.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 AM

Ar-180
Old 04-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Banned

swiss arms classic...though it around 3 grand I believe
Old 04-19-2012, 07:03 AM

Default Xcr

If you can go 2300$ Id get a Robinson Arms XCR their really nice and you can even get conversion kits to change caliber. The Benelli MR1 is nice but doesnt have the options for extras. I recently was looking at a Tavor TAR-21 bull pup style thats about 2600. I also saw a Kel-Tech SU-16 but seemed like a plastic toy gun, where I saw that they had a AR-180 but it looked rough and cheaply made but I've gotten spoiled by slobbering over the XCR... Check it out they're sweet!!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM

the ar 180 looks great, looks like lots of stuff out there for modifications etc. the swiss arms classic looks great too. the price doesn't scare me so much as i don't mind paying for quality, my budget is a starting point of sorts. the 3000 is a bit steep but if it means i gotta work a extra couple days to make the difference from 2k to 3k then so be it. now all i gotta do is find a place in northern alta selling them.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 PM

i dont think the coyotes will want to play with you with an ar 15.

dont get caught hunting anything but paper with that ,but you can try bashaw sports for some ar 15 platform rifles. looked at some a while ago ,like rock river arms and such,looked really nice,carbine type things,but pud will be able to get you just about whateve you want.

wolverine here in red deer have some pretty nice looking tacticl m16 stuff on their shelf.dont know the prices,just a phone call away though. youll probably want the 20" barrells or so for more velocity and flatter shooting at those varmints,so a carbine type is prob not what your looking for. sorry couldnt be too much help
Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 AM

I bought a mini-14 ranch rifle in 6.8 SPC on boxing day, and i am very happy with it. The accuracy issues you hear about with these rifles is related to the older models, and Ruger has solved them. This one is an easy 1.5 moa rifle with the factory ammo I have used, and i haven't gotten into testing handloads with it. The most appealing part to me was the fact that it was 1/3 the price of an xcr, yet it has more aftermarket support and is based on a time tested design. Mag availability is limited up here for the 6.8, but I have seen plenty out there for the 223 version.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 PM

JR CARBINE.

Picked one up from Frontier. At the range yesterday, I like it. 40cal smith & wesson. Non restricted. Simple, easy to clean, can be fully accessorized w most AR accessories, and well under the cost of most other black rifle platforms. They are worth a look if you dont mind handgun calibre rounds over a 5.56 round.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I bought a mini-14 ranch rifle in 6.8 SPC on boxing day, and i am very happy with it. The accuracy issues you hear about with these rifles is related to the older models, and Ruger has solved them. This one is an easy 1.5 moa rifle with the factory ammo I have used, and i haven't gotten into testing handloads with it. The most appealing part to me was the fact that it was 1/3 the price of an xcr, yet it has more aftermarket support and is based on a time tested design. Mag availability is limited up here for the 6.8, but I have seen plenty out there for the 223 version.
ya, and your big game legal with 6.8 spc, thats why i bought one, i have a custom mini 6.8 and its downed deer now as well as coyotes, it does 1.5 moa at 200 yrds for me with factory hornady 110 v-max and i'm happy with that, took a bedded doe at 220 last fall, she made it 40 yrds but took shoulder lungs so it was over quick, the coyotes don't like the 110 v-max at all

out of 21" barrel i get 2720 fps out of that load, currently having it nocked down to 18.5" and going with leupy ultralight 2.5x to make it strictly a closer range bushy type gun or predator calling option depending on terrain...easy to find the five round factory mags here, haven't tried to find anything else

browning bar shortrac in .243 would be the quickest easiest way to go imo, very very likely to get under 1.5 moa with factory ammo, gun price is right, weight is right....AND big game legal cartridge....i love my little 6.8 thumper but its a money pit compared to what you could quickly and simply do with a bar shortrac in .243...that extra jam would be great for getting into the wolves and also legal if you call a cougar since cougar is classed as big game no legal to kill them with a .223 etc.

all around my goad was and still is with auto-loaders for predator hunting is to stay big game legal cartridge as we have way more than just coyotes that come to the call in this province...my two cents
Old 11-07-2013, 05:38 PM

With ur price range id say xcr, or the 180...
Old 11-07-2013, 08:03 PM

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=031&tid=035

This may not be a black rifle.....but I couldn't resist and should be here early next week.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:14 PM

if u want an acurate semi pic up a bar... if u want a fun gun grab a mini 14 there both great rifles