Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-21-2019, 11:08 AM

Default Reload question

Good morning.
So I'm looking to get into reloading small volume maybe 10 rounds a week. And I was looking at the Lee reloader. It's like a little kit all you need is the rubber hammer to load every thing. Think it's the classic. Any ways it says not for pump or lever action rifles. Oh its for a 45/70. But iv been doing my research and every one useing it seems to be loading for lever actions. Is it safe for that and why does it say that on box. I know for lever action you should crimp it. And the little kit has a crimper. Any ways before I go and buy it just want make sure it is a decent starting out low volume kit. And I'd just be loading factory loads. Nothing fancy. Not interested in building loads so I can hit the eye out of a fly at 200 yrds just hit with in 2 inches of my mark. Thanks for any info.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:22 AM

Default nothing wrong with the little loader

I used a Lee loader when I first started with my .270 at 17 years old (many years ago) but it was a bolt action and I probably just made enough a week to continue shooting at the range (20).
Big difference between loading for a bolt action and a lever. Levers and pumps are usually tube fed magazines so do you want the point of one bullet resting against the primer of the bullet ahead of it for a big recoiling rifle? Not exactly sure but I suspect they are not recommended for pump or lever actions so bullets in tube dont detonate. In any case if the instructions tell you not to use for lever or pumps why would you consider doing it? Like pilots there are old pilots and bold pilots but no old and bold pilots. I suspect the same applies to reloaders.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:37 AM

Default Load

I started loading in the mid 1970s with a Classic Lee set in .44 mag. Loaded hundreds. I used these in a Ruger tube fed auto loader. I still have the Lee set.

I now load for 20? different calibers with multiple kinds of presses.

Go slow, follow the instructions and double check everything.

For the .45/70 in a tubular mag, you want to use a flat point bullet, with a moderate crimp. You don't need to load to maximum levels, your accuracy and shoulder will be better mid range.

Load safe and enjoy your new hobby.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:29 PM

I have one for every caliber I shoot. I personally love them. I added a scale and a few other things just because. I also have a single stage press. You can use them with the lever and you can also crimp. It was a good way for me to learn on and forced me to go slow and pay attention. I think they are worth the try, and you can always buy a single stage at a later date.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:47 PM

They're not recommended for levers or pumps because they neck size only. I'm assuming you're loading 45/70 for a Marlin model 95? With the straight walls of the 45/70 case you should be just fine as long as the brass has only been fired in your rifle, otherwise you may have trouble clambering a round. Getting a buddy with a press to run your brass through a full length sizing die when they start to bind up fixes this. Buying the Lee dipper kit gives you more budget friendly options, buying better case lube helps out too. I like to collect the Lee Loader kits, just bought one this afternoon. They're a wonderful tool, just not as fast as a press.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:15 PM

Yes it's for 45/70 only be for my rifle with my fired brass and yes a Marlin 95. I'll look at the dipper kit. I saw it also and wasn't sure. And I saw a case trimmer might throw that in also.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:58 AM

A guy can buy a Lee light duty press for $65, which will so the job of sizing and seating just fine as long as you are a little gentle and don't try to form cases with it. A set of dies for one cartridge is $35. I really don't see the advantage to the cheaper Lee Classic hand sets, which will ruun you $50 plus a mallet per cartridge. There just isn't enough savings to make up for the extra time and the things you can't do properly. Once you have even a light press all you need is more dies to expand the number of cartridges you want to load for.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:22 AM

I enjoy the portability of the Lee Loader, they're easy to find used and give you options when traveling. It is false economy to plan on loading a bunch of different cartridges with them but for just getting into it they're great. For a forgiving cartridge like the 45/70 you could go for years with nothing more, extra tools are more for enjoyment of the hobby than absolute necessity.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerfart View Post
They're not recommended for levers or pumps because they neck size only. I'm assuming you're loading 45/70 for a Marlin model 95? With the straight walls of the 45/70 case you should be just fine as long as the brass has only been fired in your rifle, otherwise you may have trouble clambering a round. Getting a buddy with a press to run your brass through a full length sizing die when they start to bind up fixes this. Buying the Lee dipper kit gives you more budget friendly options, buying better case lube helps out too. I like to collect the Lee Loader kits, just bought one this afternoon. They're a wonderful tool, just not as fast as a press.
The answer to your question...They work just fine..IF your going hunting pre test your ammo for proper function if it functions...blaze away.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.