Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 09:02 AM

Default Wyoming Info

Heading to Wyoming in 10 days to do a pronghorn hunt. I understand that I need blaze orange hat and vest/coat, I have been told I can wear a blaze orange hat and then don't have to wear the vest and vice versa, that true? Secondly, do I need any additional permits or do anything different when bringing the meat/head back? Animal will be caped out but obviously the tags etc will still be attached. When we went down turkey hunting, we didn't have to do anything to bring the birds back across the border.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:11 AM

I stopped in Jackson Hole to obtain a Wyoming state export permit for the pronghorn. It cost $8.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:17 AM

Your best bet would be to call customs to find out 100% for sure what is required. The regulations seem to be changing so much lately that it’s not worth the risks involved. That is what I would be doing if it was me in your shoes. Asking for advice and opinions on here is great but I would hate to see you get false information that results in loss of your trophy your meat your hunting privileges or even a fine. Good luck and hope you have a great hunt.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLT7 View Post
I stopped in Jackson Hole to obtain a Wyoming state export permit for the pronghorn. It cost $8.
thanks for the info
Old 10-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Banned

ATF forms for rifles
Canada customs doesn’t care about antelope
There can be problems with animals crossing state lines that were not processed
So that would be the one thing I would look into
Old 10-17-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
ATF forms for rifles
awesome thanks. They didn't care about turkeys so I figured antelope would be the same.

ATF forms have been done, got them back in a record amount of time actually lol, 2 weeks lol.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
awesome thanks. They didn't care about turkeys so I figured antelope would be the same.

ATF forms have been done, got them back in a record amount of time actually lol, 2 weeks lol.
My suggestion is to have it cut wrapped and frozen before u leave Wyoming. We always take a small freezer, 4-6 cubic feet, in the back of the truck. As long as u plugged it in every night everything stays frozen. Also good for preserving the Cape. Usually buy one at Walmart or home depot, they only cost about 140 bucks down there. Sell them when we get home or give them to family if they need a med size freezer.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:59 AM

Default Butchered

Yup cut and wrapped is the way to go. But you can buy Dry Ice in grocery stores and seal your meat in coolers, dry ice on top, tape the cooler closed. No water to worry about. Awesome stuff. We put butchered moose in Utah into coolers that was only refrigerated over night at buthers, and drove 2 days and arrived back in Northern Alberta and Everything was frozen solid and the dry ice still had about 30% left to it! Ive brought elk, moose and deer back from Utah, Wyoming Montana and never needed export license. I called ahead and verified it all before hunts, but that didnt mean anything to the border guys, they still did their Google homework. Lol
Good luck, Wy is a fantastic state for hunting.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:18 AM

My butcher there supplied the cooler and dry ice with the processed animal. Froze solid when I got back home in central ab.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
ATF forms for rifles
I hunted WY last year and this is correct. All customs cared about was legality of guns and whether there were tags for the animals. The rules might be a bit different for cervids because of CWD but pronghorn are worry free for that.

I’ve never heard of the $8 state export permit but it would be worth asking. Maybe we got away with something.

Good luck - it’s a fun place!
Old 10-18-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post
My butcher there supplied the cooler and dry ice with the processed animal. Froze solid when I got back home in central ab.
Dry ice is a very good alternative if you drive straight back in a day or two after the Antelope hunt. Typically we take a week to ten days, either sight seeing or doing a different hunt, to get back so for us the freezer works better.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:47 AM

You need an export permit from US fish and wildlife. Stop at US customs on way home to get it.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:19 PM

Default U sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingdad View Post
You need an export permit from US fish and wildlife. Stop at US customs on way home to get it.
When did this start?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
When did this start?
Maybe yesterday, I just came home two days ago with my goat. No permit was needed with TSA. Canadian customs just looked at my hunting license.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Maybe yesterday, I just came home two days ago with my goat. No permit was needed with TSA. Canadian customs just looked at my hunting license.
You got lucky.....been a requirement for at least 20 years. Lots of agents don't seem to know about it. Find one that does and it's another story. I'm speaking from experience. Yes, I'm sure and no I don't want to argue about it. Cross at your own peril.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:56 PM

Export permits from the states to Canada, or the other way round for that matter, are required for Cites regulated animals, predominately bears and most of the various sheep we hunt. Never heard of needing permits for antelope going north or south.

I have never been checked by the states side leaving but for cities animals not having the right paper work can lead to headaches later on.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Export permits from the states to Canada, or the other way round for that matter, are required for Cites regulated animals, predominately bears and most of the various sheep we hunt. Never heard of needing permits for antelope going north or south.
Now you have
Old 10-18-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Now you have
Do you happen to have a link for that or the Wyoming export permit? I would very much like to check that out. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Do you happen to have a link for that or the Wyoming export permit? I would very much like to check that out. Thanks.
It's not a Wyoming export permit if you read above...it's US fish and wildlife. It's required for all game leaving US no matter what state it's from. I'm betting the folks at US fish and wildlife could help you I just stop at US customs when driving home and fill one out.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
It's not a Wyoming export permit if you read above...it's US fish and wildlife. It's required for all game leaving US no matter what state it's from. I'm betting the folks at US fish and wildlife could help you I just stop at US customs when driving home and fill one out.
I talk to us fish and wildlife evey time I go down. Outside of CITES registered animals there is no export permit and that is also what their website says for personal harvested game animals. I work very hard to make sure we comply with all legal requirements as we don't need any problems. If there is a need I want to make sure I figure it out. Do you happen to have the full title and the form number off the last export permit you had. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:28 PM

You must be talking to some really dumb US fish and wildlife people then!
Old 10-18-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
You must be talking to some really dumb US fish and wildlife people then!
I appreciate u digging it up but please take the time to read the actual heading on the form that was linked originally. Link attached. https://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-28.pdf

It very clearly says it covers CITIES Registered trophies\game, which is what I have been saying all along. I don't think it is fair to say the staff are dumb.

Antelope, deer, moose are not CITIES registered under appendices 1,2 or 3 and thus do not need this export permit.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I appreciate u digging it up but please take the time to read the actual heading on the form that was linked originally. Link attached. https://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-28.pdf

It very clearly says it covers CITIES Registered trophies\game, which is what I have been saying all along. I don't think it is fair to say the staff are dumb.

Antelope, deer, moose are not CITIES registered under appendices 1,2 or 3 and thus do not need this export permit.
Your right that is the CITES form. The one for non-CITES game is free and available as you exit the US. I honestly couldn't care less what you do when you cross. I was just answering the OP from my first-hand knowledge and experience. Do as you wish with the info....I honestly don't care and have no more interest in arguing on the internet about an indisputable fact. It amuses me what you will argue about. Get caught one day without it and I bet you'll remember this convo....
Later!

Last edited by Huntingdad; 10-18-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Your right that is the CITES form. The one for non-CITES game is free and available as you exit the US. I honestly couldn't care less what you do when you cross. I was just answering the OP from my first-hand knowledge and experience. Do as you wish with the info....I honestly don't care and have no more interest in arguing on the internet about an indisputable fact. It amuses me what you will argue about.
Later!
I am truly NOT trying to argue with you. I very much am trying to understand. So far I cannot find the form or information on the U.S. fish and wildlife site. I just got done talking to 2 of their staff and they can't point me in the right direction either. It is not unheard of that phone help staff are not totally informed so that is why I asked for the form number. I don't disbelieve u I just can't figure out how to verify it or be compliant. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:59 PM

The USFW export form being referenced is the 3-177. Its been in place and used for several years.

https://www.fws.gov/le/declaration-form-3-177.html
Old 10-18-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
The USFW export form being referenced is the 3-177. Its been in place and used for several years.

https://www.fws.gov/le/declaration-form-3-177.html
This form applies only to commercial export or import or if you are sending your trophies or meat through a commercial carrier. It does not apply to personal transport of animals you harvested.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:33 PM

Default Wow

Wowzer, somebodies a hot head! Lol
I must have spoken to the same “Dumb” US staff as well, over the past 10 crossings, at 3 seperate locations.
I leave in 2 days and sure would like to see that form so I dont lose anything crossing this time.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:32 PM

Just posting the form Dean2. I still see the doc used a bit for personal imports. Best bet is to always chat with USCBP and USFW for USA laws and CBSA for Canadian laws.

Last edited by Rackmastr; 10-18-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:52 PM

Default Here

Here is the info: wasnt very easy to find, like every countries web sites, lol.
https://www.fws.gov/international/Pe...-trophies.html
Old 10-18-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Here is the info: wasnt very easy to find, like every countries web sites, lol.
https://www.fws.gov/international/Pe...-trophies.html
Good of you to post the link. Agreed this covers the requirements. That is the information I found as well and what the dept directed me to. There is no requirement for an export permit except for the very specific circumstances denoted. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion.