Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2019, 11:42 AM

Lots of hunters say “adrenaline gets into the muscles and the meat tastes bad”..... HUH????

Uh, I eat the MEAT, not the muscles so I don’t think that’s a valid argument at all.......

And in my experience when Im skinning out a deer, I’m seeing very little if any muscles. I see A LOT of meat tho......Im actually quite surprised at the lack of muscle I see. It’s a wonder the animal manages to run like that......must be the adrenaline
Old 10-13-2019, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Many things can happen on a “certain” shot. Missing a few inches on a head shot could be problematic but missing a few inches on a lung shot is fine, way larger kill zone.
Thank you for the advice. Let's not derail the thread about culinary properties of meat with an argument regarding the nuances of shot placement.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you think every animal shot with a firearm “dies instantly” and doesn’t suffer for “more than an instant” you have a tilted view on hunting.

Of
Almost every animal I shoot is dead before it hits the ground, and it hits the ground within 2 seconds of being shot.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Almost every animal I shoot is dead before it hits the ground, and it hits the ground within 2 seconds of being shot.
So you do a lot of gopher shooting do ya? Cause outside of them you have to be brain shooting anything else for this statement to be true.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
... you have to be brain shooting anything else for this statement to be true.
I'd have to disagree. I've shot a few deer in the "boiler room" with my 300 win mag and had them on the ground instantly. Granted I do not ever hide in the bushes for any period of time while the animal expires. I immediately approach the downed critter from the back and cut its' throat or put another round in the head as the situation dictates.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
So you do a lot of gopher shooting do ya? Cause outside of them you have to be brain shooting anything else for this statement to be true.
Large animals. And I'm likely in the top 2% of people here for number of kills on large animals.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I'd have to disagree. I've shot a few deer in the "boiler room" with my 300 win mag and had them on the ground instantly. Granted I do not ever hide in the bushes for any period of time while the animal expires. I immediately approach the downed critter from the back and cut its' throat or put another round in the head as the situation dictates.
If you shoot a deer in the boiler room with a 300 win mag there shouldn't be a need to cut it's throat to bleed it. Most of the blood will have pumped out of the system and be in the chest cavity.

I would say either a broadhead or a lead bullet are equal in their ability to take life. Shot placement is everything.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-13-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Large animals. And I'm likely in the top 2% of people here for number of kills on large animals.
Top 1% most humble too!
Old 10-13-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
Top 1% most humble too!
Old 10-13-2019, 08:47 PM

Better than road kill.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:04 PM

To me it tastes better from a bow than rifle. I find a bow killed animal the meat is a browner colour and rifle kill is redder in colour. I believe that it bleeds out better with a bow than a bullet. I could very well be wrong, but this has been my observation over the years of using both bow and bullet hunting.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
I've killed many animals in Alberta and it seems to me that the animal taken with an arrow tastes better then the ones killed with a bullet..
I might be wrong , but I think that with a good bow shot , double lungs or heart , usually all blood is gone from the meat almost immediately .
The animal does not even realise of what have happened and is not under the stress .
Am I wrong or you bow/rifle hunters feel the same?

S12

Short answer. No. Maybe in bowhunters minds.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:29 PM

If there was a pure test bow vs rifle kill and a person did not know how it was killed no way a person could tell the difference.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:41 PM

I think game shot left to right taste FAR better than game shot right to Left!!!!
Old 10-14-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I think game shot left to right taste FAR better than game shot right to Left!!!!

I golf, swing a bat, and shoot left in hockey. Therefore I'm always on the right side.

In your case, and with anyone else that shoots a left handed rifle it's just Wrong an Wierd.

Good try though.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Short answer. No. Maybe in bowhunters minds.
And I have to ask you here, are you a bow hunter as well as rifle hunter and have you taken animals with a bow as well as with a rifle ?
The same question to amosfella who says that he shoots more animals then 98% of the rest of hunters here
And actually to many other guys who made a comment, but was there first hand experience to compare both of those kills couple of times or multiple times?

S12
Old 10-14-2019, 06:09 PM

I've shot lots of both, rifle and bow and generally find bow shot to be milder tasting.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Ah you are a head and neck shot expert! That’s all I need to know lol.

LC
Old 10-14-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
And I have to ask you here, are you a bow hunter as well as rifle hunter and have you taken animals with a bow as well as with a rifle ?
The same question to amosfella who says that he shoots more animals then 98% of the rest of hunters here
And actually to many other guys who made a comment, but was there first hand experience to compare both of those kills couple of times or multiple times?

S12

A projectile passes through an animals heart and lungs. Do they bleed differently? Does the bullet somehow taint the meat in ways a broadhead doesn't? Does the bang scare the deer causing some sort of chemical overload to surge through his bloodstream and make it into his muscles? Does an exploded heart bleed less than one that's been sliced open?

If you want honesty I'd say it was probably one of the dopiest questions I've seen asked in these forums. Right up there with " can someone give me the exact GPS coordinates in wmu 339 where i can shoot a 6x6 elk?"
Old 10-14-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
A projectile passes through an animals heart and lungs. Do they bleed differently? Does the bullet somehow taint the meat in ways a broadhead doesn't? Does the bang scare the deer causing some sort of chemical overload to surge through his bloodstream and make it into his muscles? Does an exploded heart bleed less than one that's been sliced open?

If you want honesty I'd say it was probably one of the dopiest questions I've seen asked in these forums. Right up there with " can someone give me the exact GPS coordinates in wmu 339 where i can shoot a 6x6 elk?"
270 person

You were asked a simple question.

Have you harvested an animal/s with a bow or not?

S12
Old 10-14-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:

S12
Taken animals with rifle, bow, crossbow, shotgun, muzzleloader and grew up as a kid eating wild game taken with both rifle and bow. I have also eaten game taken with a mix of weapons by friends

My verdict the weapon used to kill the animal has no effect on flavour but poor handling and butchering of meat sure does

That is my experience on the subject and I have eaten lots of steaks
Old 10-14-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:

S12
Please go back and read all of the responses from the very top. Most of us tried very hard to provide quality answers to the original question despite the fact the way it was framed was kind of non=senscle and yes most of us have eaten both arrow kill and gun kill animals This latest post is both defensive and offensive. If u continue to act like an azz many of us are going to put u on the no fly list. You owe the people that tried to honestly help an apology and even the tongue in cheek answers are pretty innocuous. Certainly not deserving of this response.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:24 PM

With all things considered, time of year, rut, what they are eating, age and health of the animal notwithstanding .....

Getting the meat cleaned up and cooled down quickly is the best way to preserve the quality of the meat.

The same is true of a fish, how many times do we see some city slicker dumping a slimy garbage bag with two 16" hammer handles in the fish cleaning station that's been baking in the sun on his boat ..... and likely posting about how bad pike tastes ....
Old 10-14-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:

S12
I have hunted with bow and rifles since 1967.
I have always maintained that How the animal dies and how it is taken care of afterwards has more to do with how it tastes than what it was killed with .
Cat
Old 10-14-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Please go back and read all of the responses from the very top. Most of us tried very hard to provide quality answers to the original question despite the fact the way it was framed was kind of non=senscle and yes most of us have eaten both arrow kill and gun kill animals This latest post is both defensive and offensive. If u continue to act like an azz many of us are going to put u on the no fly list. You owe the people that tried to honestly help an apology and even the tongue in cheek answers are pretty innocuous. Certainly not deserving of this response.

Happy Thanksgiving day

Last edited by shooter12; 10-14-2019 at 08:20 PM.