Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 11:55 AM

Default Shipping Guns

Hello when I ship a gun , if I put in in a gun case like a Koplin ATV had case is this a good idea or do I put it in a carbon box so it don’t look like a firearm .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews z7 View Post
Hello when I ship a gun , if I put in in a gun case like a Koplin ATV had case is this a good idea or do I put it in a carbon box so it don’t look like a firearm .

Unless you break it down it will always pretty much going to look like a rifle. Koplin ATV case wouldn't be my first choice as they don't hold the gun all that tight. I would buy one of the single gun hard cases, about $20 on sale at BP or Cabelas or use the factory box, wrap the gun in newspaper or better yet the small bubble wrap and wrap the box in brown paper. When you mail the gun you legally must specify signature required at the other end, even for a rifle. You don't have to insure it but I insure all of mine cause I think they are more careful with those. Make sure you have the serial number recorded before you ship it so if it disappears en route you can report it properly. (Never had one get lost or damaged and I have shipped a great many by Canada Post)
Old 06-29-2019, 12:49 PM

Thanks sir

Old 07-03-2019, 03:35 PM

bubble rap and put in New firearm box. Wrap with brown paper and ship. Have shipped and received many, all the same way and everything was good.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
bubble rap and put in New firearm box. Wrap with brown paper and ship. Have shipped and received many, all the same way and everything was good.
Exactly what I do as well. Never had an issue and the lite paper wrap tells you customer if the parcel was miss treated by you or the post office. Also makes the gorillas in the sorting room use a bit more caution when handling your package.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Nothing on the outside that suggests what the contents are. Might seem pretty basic, but I once received a Marlin rimfire rifle (very used) in a white Tikka T3 box only sealed with clear packing tape. Got lots of funny looks picking THAT package up, and the lady at the post office now knows that I probably own guns, and knows what my address is.

I live in a very Liberal suburb north of Toronto. Not ideal.

Other than that, common sense rules apply. Anything IN the package that could bust out of it if the box gets squeezed should be packed accordingly. Bolts out of bolt guns, scopes removed and packed separately, lots of padding around the muzzle, etc. I usually make my own boxes out of heavy cardboard but if I happen to have the original box, I put it in one of those...add padding (See above) and wrap the whole affair in another layer of unmarked cardboard. If you saw my EE feedback on the big gun website...you'd see comments about how I pack things.

But a rifle case with any rifle-like shape (in other words, most ATV cases)...I'd say "no" personally.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:41 PM

If your worried about the box looking like rifle just go to a sign shop and ask for a box they get vinyl in. An average sized unscoped rifle will fit. They will just fit so make sure you re-enforce the ends with extra card board. Wrap the rifle with bubble wrap. Tape the wrap to itself so it can not come undone while shipping or when removing the rifle from the box. Fill the empty spaces with bubble wrap, packing peanuts or crumpled news paper. When it ships I just looks like a roll of vinyl unless you read the invoice. Ive done this many times without any funny looks. One member here didn't know their rifle had arrived until they opened the box.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."