Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 PM

Default Factory loads, lifetime supply?

I dont reload, so I buy factory hunting ammo when on sale. Last five or so years, getting to the range has been difficult and I have been the typical 2 box a year hunter. Looking at the current rifles I own and the factory ammunition I have for them, I realize that I probably will never have to buy factory ammo again (but will).
Looking at what I have now in hunting loads only, 300WM, 308 Win, 6mm Rem, 7.62x54R, 303 Brit, 7.62x39. If shooting 2 boxes (40) per year, I am 51 years old, and would not have to buy more factory hunting ammo for 34 years... when I am 85. This does not count FMJ, or 223 which is legal is other places...
Anyone else in the same boat? I will still buy newest factory ammo, or on sale stuff, so situation will probably get worse.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:13 AM

There is no doubt that, at age 72, my stash of shotgun reloading hulls and components exceeds life expectancy. I still buy flats factory loads when a really good deal is going by.
I don't shoot much high power rifle anymore, so the supply of hunting loads is surplus to "need".
We don't have much room to tease our spouses with the quilting addiction.
Their fabric stash is similarly overstocked, but there is always a need for that special item to finish a project.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 AM

Default had to move everything

Was remodeling and adding proper weight bearing storage shelves a couple years ago to get rid of the flimsy book shelves I had been storing ammo on. Had all the ammo in a spare bedroom so decided to do a spreadsheet to see just how much of everything I have. Final tally I never have to buy ammo again. Over 8500 rounds. I didn't count any of the new and used reloading hulls that I have stored near the various shotshell loaders and although I have lots of big game rifles and ammo for each of them (200 plus for each caliber) I haven't fired a big game rifle even to sight them in since 2013. My son and hunting partner moved out of province to get work.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:50 PM

Glad that I'm not the only one. This thread has been therapeutic in a way. Going to sell 4 boxes (of 11 because I might need em in a rifle last used in 2015) 6 mm to a AO member. It's a start. Deep breath.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:58 PM

You know its a real problem when you buy a certain caliber gun because you found a real good deal on ammo.

I try to shoot as much as possible but some calibers I have I know without a doubt I will never run out of ammo for.

Hope the kids don't mind some of the inheritance being precious metals...