Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-08-2012, 09:11 PM

Default Reloading BOO BOOs and incidents

Okay, Rocky 7 suggested it , so here goes!

Quite a few years ago I did something I shall NEVER do again- I had two lots of powder going at once in two different measures.
After charging 100 cases of .308 with Varget ( what else?)
I went and dumped the powder into the 8lb. caddy that I had taken out
for it -I THOUGHT!
I proceeded to grab up a bunch of 300 mag cases I was loading for a buddy, set the scale, and dumped a bunch of H1000 in the measure.
I took a look at the caddy ( 8pounder as well), and freaked out, looked at the measure, yup sure looks like Varget ! Only thing was, the danged caddy says H1000!! CRAP!!!
See, the problem was, had both caddies out, and refilled them with some new powder I had bought- 4 lbs. each in 1 lb. bags.
H1000 looks very much like Varget, and I could not for the life of me discern which was which.

I ended up dumping BOTH caddies, and pulling the bullets on the 308's as well, a pile of time and money , but a VERY big lesson learned!!.
Now I label the measure with the powder that is in it, I only use one at a time, and NEVER break out two different types of powder !!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-08-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

If Cat is willing to put one up then so am I.

A number of years ago I made a classic mistake that was warned about many times. I unknowingly substituted IMR 4831 for H 4831 powder. Didn't blow anything up but got some impressive over pressured cases and a 270 with huge recoil. And same as Cat I could not for the life of me remember at what point I had switched powders so I ended up pulling a bunch of bullets and dumping some powder. All my data showed all the pertinent info EXCEPT when I switched powder cans.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned

ive had two silly ones. the first was tossing empty cases from 5 different guns into one box (all same cartridge--270win). then proceeded to load up a few hundred rounds for everyone, but the problem was that one gun had a very sloppy chamber. when the full length sizer went to the bottom, it left a bit of a bulge near the rim where the case didnt enter the die right where it contacts the shell holder. some of those shells wouldnt fit in a couple of the guns. not a safety concern, but it taught us something.

another was just a year ago. i loaded some nickel plated brass that my son had shot in his gun. i had never used nickel cases before, but reloaded them with the same load i have used in that gun for 23 years. the first shot, the bolt was slightly stiff lifting, so they were pulled and discarded.

the gun i saw explode at the range was similar to a story told here recently. a guy new to reloading used a load he read in a manual, but didnt realize the powder mattered. he also heard from a buddy that 10% safety margin was built into published loads, so added that 10% just because he wanted it shooting a little faster. the barrel split open with a bulge right in front of the chamber. it didnt hurt him, but scared the manure right out of him. i got there about 10 minutes after it happened, but i was told he was so scared he fell in shock and darn near passed out.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 PM

Damn, you do type fast Cat. I killed my thread and moved over here.

Here's mine:

Years ago when I was poor, I only had one rifle - a .270. I reloaded everything for it and that included 90 gr. hollow points for varmints. My buddy and I spent many pleasant summer afternoons exchanging b.s. and banging away at gophers as far away as we could see 'em. It was good practice.

I was reloading a batch of those hollow points one afternoon and kind of expecting a phone call later on. Let's say it was a phone call from a tall, blonde amazon with full lips and big blue eyes who could look you right in the eye and have her way with you. It wasn't, but let's say it was.

I'm in the middle of 50 rounds and looking forward to outshooting my buddy. Phone rings. Now, I KNOW that I don't answer the phone when I'm reloading. I know that because I close the door behind me and it is one my rules. Cue the blonde.

I leave and pick up the phone. Blah, blah, blah. Back to reloading. When I'm done, I make a thermos of coffee and arrange to meet my buddy on a ranch we have access to and which is polluted with gophers.

At some point in the afternoon, I line up on one about 350 yds away. It's windy so it's going to be a Hail Mary shot but I've got a bipod and lots of ammo and what the heck. I line it up, adjust, concentrate and slowly squeeze it off.

"click"

My buddy snickers. WTF. I forgot to chamber a new load. I tell him to bugger off and slam another one home. Gopher's still there.

"click"

I'm stunned. I wait and pull the bolt back, slowly...thinking I've got a hangfire. I see the brass and then see the end of a 90 gr. hollow point poking out the end of the brass. Cue Twilight Zone music. What the.....

I look down the barrel. It's dark.

Now I start to break out in a cold sweat. This no longer funny.

Thankfully, I had a cleaning rod in the truck to knock out the 90 gr. hollow point that was just stuck into the lands by the first dud primer ignition. That's the bullet that pushed back the one I saw poking out of the brass. When I pulled the first dud out, I had seen exactly what you'd expect to see - a spent brass with a fired primer.

I loaded exactly two - and only two - rounds with no powder. It happens I put them in consecutively. God looks after fools and drunks.

Since then, I never, but never, put a round into a box until I shake it beside my ear. I can stand too little powder. I can even stand too much powder. But no powder at all is really bad. That's the way I'm training my daughter to do it.

That's not in any reloading manuals I've ever seen, but it's a good last step IMO.

I carried that 90 gr. hollow point around for years. I always intended to get it gold-plated and make a necklace out of it, but somewhere along the line I lost it.

Hope that helps someone.

Regards,

edit: And I don't take calls anymore, either. Big blonde or not.

Last edited by Rocky7; 01-08-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=Rocky7;1247385]Damn, you do type fast Cat.
I have the fastest "hunt and peck system" around!!
Cat
Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 PM

Yeah, I've had that two tins of powder out thing, too. Not as much as you lost, tho, not even close. No incident, but some perfectly good powder went into the garbage. Now, if I'd read this first,....
Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 PM

well, now that you mention it cat, its a wonder we survived our teenage years. My dad had all the stuff, except guidance and a case trimmer. we had a heck of a time getting bolts to close. Grinders files sand paper... He work away lots and zero support from anyone we knew. We likely wouldnt have listen at that age anyway. Things like two different powder in the trickler ,look at the fastest load listed and just load it. once we reduced loads way way down cause the 300 kicked too much...I left a buddy alone while I did chores come back he pushed 50 primers in backwards with the press...H instead IMR ,ahh heck no business touchin the stuff. we where just plain lucky...chain
Old 11-15-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
If Cat is willing to put one up then so am I.

A number of years ago I made a classic mistake that was warned about many times. I unknowingly substituted IMR 4831 for H 4831 powder. Didn't blow anything up but got some impressive over pressured cases and a 270 with huge recoil. And same as Cat I could not for the life of me remember at what point I had switched powders so I ended up pulling a bunch of bullets and dumping some powder. All my data showed all the pertinent info EXCEPT when I switched powder cans.
Regards,
Dave.
ive never looked at this thread until today....odd the second one up is my biggest blunder. chronograph was what gave me my first idea i did something wrong
Old 01-09-2012, 05:00 PM

I have only made one mistake, that is shooting someone else's reloads......never again.
A nice little Savage 99 got wrecked in the process.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 PM

I was young, dumb, and unfortunately there was no money involved

Loaded some Barnes XLC's with IMR 4831. Loaded too many cases and decided not to waste the effort. Put some Sierras on top of it. Duh.
Shooting over the chrony I was getting some wicked velocity and it was a 3 shot Half inch group!
Didn't even think, but checked the cases afterward. All of them had serious primer and face issues and two of three where a hair from splitting.
Moral to the story is if you want a 130gr Sierra to do 3250fps out of a WCF, use 58gr of IMR 4831, and expect to burn your face eventually.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
I was young, dumb, and unfortunately there was no money involved

Didn't even think, but checked the cases afterward. All of them had serious primer and face issues and two of three where a hair from splitting.
Moral to the story is if you want a 130gr Sierra to do 3250fps out of a WCF, use 58gr of IMR 4831, and expect to burn your face eventually.
Awesome post.

That right there: "didn't even think....expect to burn your face eventually." says it all
Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Goes to show what works in one rifle won't work in another.....thats the load I use in my .270WIN with 130gr Sierra Gamekings and I don't have pressure issues....0.010 off the lands. Little less velocity than 3250....more like 3100-3150 but deadly accurate.

Great thread guys!

LC
Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 PM

i personaly have had some squib loaded 38 special off of a progresive reloader and about 5 243 win 95 gr nos bt loaded to 90 grn bt charges not over charged but couldnt beleive i did it had the box of bullets rigth in front of the manual when my uncle was 17 he bought a brand new doumolin 7mm rem mag from arts ammo shop in red deer and a lee loader with all components but no manual started loading till you couldnt hear powder shacking in the cases any more after a box of reloads bolt was stuck shut and realized the chamber was bulged art cut him a good deal on a new barrel because he felt bad he didnt sell him a manual
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM

I'm glad this is a sticky. Lots to learn for beginners and a thing or two for the whiskered crowd, too.

I've heard of guys years ago who loaded a brass by filling it right up and then levelling off the top with a popsicle stick, but never knew if that was for real or not.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
I have only made one mistake, that is shooting someone else's reloads......never again.
A nice little Savage 99 got wrecked in the process.
I let a buddy load for me once. Never again. We used to load together and shared equipment. The ones he loaded for my 270 had his 30-06 powder and charge in it. Locked up the bolt tight and blew the primer. I had to beat the brass off the boltface.
I had a miss load of 10gr one time for a few rounds. About 4-6 460's ended up being a bit warm. They kicked a bit more thats for sure. I would have pulled them but with that powder in the 460wby if I could get it in the case then it was ok to shoot.
A few other dumb thing that lead me to be very careful while reloading. I fel lucky I never blew anything up or damaged anything but my pride. Well maybe a few brass were wrecked.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 PM

Cool

hi cat, I'm pretty new to re-loading,I've come up with a load i think works good in my rifle 46gn vrgt 165gn hdy sst case trim 2.005 coal 2.827 AV 2806 fps.....yell if any of this screams stupid....using nosler brass, probably on third firing,they extract fine no signs of over pressure that i can tell, but on my last batch the bolt was a little stiff to close could it be i've used too much lube and pushed in the shoulder? how do you tell? is it obvious? if i put one in the chamber then take it out even with out firing you can see marks on the case head wich i suspect may be from the extracter pin. any info or feed back would be very much appreciated
Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 PM

oh yeah its a 308 by the way and would be happy if anyone would reply
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urcayuse View Post
oh yeah its a 308 by the way and would be happy if anyone would reply
Have you trimmed your brass the 3 previous firings?
Maybe start a new thread on this and get a few other regulars to respond.
GL chain
Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 PM

i did trim after 2nd firing to 2.005 not sure how to start new thread
Old 01-11-2012, 10:39 PM

i did notice that when the brass was new it was 1.9 some thing so maybe it is getting too long
Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
i did trim after 2nd firing to 2.005 not sure how to start new thread
JUst Click "new thread"... some people possibly wont check this sticky that can help you. Try to post a close pic of the case head damage also type of action/gun.
Could be flow back from previous load which is why its a tough closer. HTH chain
Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
hi cat, I'm pretty new to re-loading,I've come up with a load i think works good in my rifle 46gn vrgt 165gn hdy sst case trim 2.005 coal 2.827 AV 2806 fps.....yell if any of this screams stupid....using nosler brass, probably on third firing,they extract fine no signs of over pressure that i can tell, but on my last batch the bolt was a little stiff to close could it be i've used too much lube and pushed in the shoulder? how do you tell? is it obvious? if i put one in the chamber then take it out even with out firing you can see marks on the case head wich i suspect may be from the extracter pin. any info or feed back would be very much appreciated
Are you full length sizing? Could need to set your die up a bit differently. Extracor marks on the case head are an indicator of pressure.

LC
Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
46 grains is on the upper end 9in most manuals, especially with eh 165 grain bullets.
I would check your cases with your Venrier calipers, becuase you stated that the first few were okay , now you are getting a sticky bolt lift.
Check the base dimensions , the over all length, and you may also need to full length size them if you are neck sizing only, pretty much what everyone else has already suggested!

Cat
Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 PM

thanks i'll check it out.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:56 PM

backwards primer in the case.
it was scary but i did pop it back out with the press. there was a little circle where the firing pin should hit.

i always used to worry about the no powder in the case. did the shake the powder thing as mentioned above.

I now have 2 presses. one at each side of the bench with the scale in between. So i do my prep work, inspect debur, lube etc all together, be it 20 or 40 or whatever. they all go from the nothing done lineup to the other one where they are done, waiting to be resized.

Once the shell has been resized, and primed (with the 1st press), i check the primers location, it is then filled with powder, and over to the other press and a bullet is slammed in it. THis way if the phone rings, kid comes by or whatever, i know where i am, when i come back.

i then compare to my "go to gauge dummy round without a primer" and check the OL
Old 03-13-2012, 03:27 PM

while away from the house at work the ole lady decided to clean up my reloading room. i came back and i usually leave the can of pwder hats in my electrnic dispenser and trickle charger beside it. voila its been moved and i had to think real hard and compare what was in there last.

told her the reloading room is off limits.LOL.had no problems,but i know the two types of powder it could have been were also very similiar.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
while away from the house at work the ole lady decided to clean up my reloading room. i came back and i usually leave the can of pwder hats in my electrnic dispenser and trickle charger beside it. voila its been moved and i had to think real hard and compare what was in there last.

told her the reloading room is off limits.LOL.had no problems,but i know the two types of powder it could have been were also very similiar.
Its really true...off limits is a good way to put it. Kids naturally monkey around with interesting looking pieces like scales , bullets ect. So too is bench clutter and hold all calls or distractions. Its serious fun...chain
Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post

That's an easy fix. I usually have 2 dispensers plus my Chargemaster on the go. So I cut a little piece of paper about stamp size and write the powder name on it and drop it into the powder tube.

Wanna hear a stupid one I did not that long ago? Why not, since this is all about helpin each other, I didn't get hurt but my ego sure took a beating. I was annealing brass when I realized that I had annealed one with a live primer. It didn't go off, but I surely wouldn't want to try that again. Sort your brass before annealing.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 PM

Over using brass... went bear hunting with my 270 and after shooting a good blackie [ hit him just a little back ] he runs for the trees . I go to chamber another round and all that comes out of my gun is the back half of the brass !! Now I have a wounded bear and a club with a scope on it .. Luckily got a small piece of barb wire , bend a hook in it and pop out the rest of brass . Waited an hour and went and found ny bear . Luckily already expired but I was still spooked . I don't over use brass and inspect it real close now ..
Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 AM

Default Starting off on the right foot

I started loading in the 70’s I bought a PO Ackley’s book at a church rummage sale, read up on how it was done “I can do that! cheap shooting for my .270”. At that time I never knew anybody that loaded, there was no internet so I was on my own. I bought a LEE loader kit from SIR mail order 1LB of 4831 and some primers. I’m all set, I followed the instructions “hammered” together 20 rounds went to the range. All my shots were a foot low at 100 yards; a fellow at the range told me using a Lee loader scoop with 4831 isn’t very accurate I really should be using a scale. I bought a scale; this is really when the problems started. If anyone has ever read the PO Ackley manual the max loads in the book are extreme max loads like 62 grains of 4831 for a .270 Win. 130 gr. Bullets, Ackley must have had a 24” long drop funnel! I was 16 at the time faster is always better I hammered together a “near” max load went to range I pulled the trigger I saw smoke, fire felt a warm rush, the bolt wouldn’t open I really didn’t know what happened. Again one of the other people at the range helped me by showing me how to open the bolt with a hammer, the primer pocket was now part of the casing looked like it fused together, the case head was cracked and the over pressure was directed into the magazine, I was very lucky I didn’t injure myself or anybody else. After that I met a few bench rest shooters at the club that mentored me through the correct process. I bought all the correct equipment and started loading safely. I would recommend if you start loading to find some help and instruction before you start.