Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 09:45 AM

Default Things to collect for bear bait

Been bear hunting since I was a kid but have never baited black bear. This spring I want to give it a try to see what the process is like start to finish. So I am starting to put some stuff aside like bread ends and bacon grease

What kind of things are worth keeping aside for bear bait and what is not?
Old 11-24-2020, 09:55 AM

Start collecting restaurant grease from restaurants bacon grease from your house bread scraps outdated dog food but I would say the number one thing would be collect restaurant grease in 5 gallon pails

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2020, 10:21 AM

If you need beacon grease, in jars, Might be able to help you, Have 6 jars now, possibly more, in the new year
Old 11-24-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
If you need beacon grease, in jars, Might be able to help you, Have 6 jars now, possibly more, in the new year
Thanks for the offer but unless you are close to Drayton I will have to pass
Old 11-24-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Thanks for the offer but unless you are close to Drayton I will have to pass
Im in the Camrose area, if you are coming this way, I can pass these jars
onto you
Old 11-24-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Start collecting restaurant grease from restaurants bacon grease from your house bread scraps outdated dog food but I would say the number one thing would be collect restaurant grease in 5 gallon pails

Spot on. Use it liberally all around the bait, you want the bears to track it off with them when they leave.
As an interest smell to splash here and there on the way to the bait citronella oil hi on substantial trees.

Osky
Old 11-24-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Im in the Camrose area, if you are coming this way, I can pass these jars
onto you
No plans to head that way at this time but if that changes I will shoot you a PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Spot on. Use it liberally all around the bait, you want the bears to track it off with them when they leave.
As an interest smell to splash here and there on the way to the bait citronella oil hi on substantial trees.

Osky
Would have never thought of citronella

Sounds like a drag line to spread sent trails could also be a good option

So far my wife is already thinking I should stick to spot&stalk when she hears about bait collecting. It’s a good thing I never listen
Old 11-24-2020, 06:16 PM

Try to get your hands on some beavers too. I tie them around a tree with about 20 wraps of cordage. Keeps them busy for quite a while. It’s pretty fun to do even if all you get is little nuisance bears. If you have a good area which sounds like you do you should get lots of action.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Try to get your hands on some beavers too. I tie them around a tree with about 20 wraps of cordage. Keeps them busy for quite a while. It’s pretty fun to do even if all you get is little nuisance bears. If you have a good area which sounds like you do you should get lots of action.
Don’t know how the area is because I have not hunted bear in areas baiting is legal. It will be starting from scratch but I understand bears so I know the kind of habit to look for at least
Old 11-24-2020, 06:49 PM

Dog food is kryptonite on bears. Hate using it when we have to trap them but every once in a while it’s the only thing that will get them. They like fruit, melons apples and mangos. Have used sausage, syrup, peanut butter, bacon all sorts of things. Have heard coworkers taking about poachers baiting with propane as well.... (can’t bait bears here in MT).
Old 11-24-2020, 07:15 PM

Get as many beaver carcasses as you can, bears absolutely love them. Fryer grease from your local arena or restaurants and if Drayton has a bakery, get any scraps you can. Last but not least if Drayton has a seed cleaning plant get the screenings and mix with molasses or fryer grease and you will have no shortage of bears. Good luck and please post pictures after spring success.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:45 PM

I prefer liberals, granola munching lefties and politicians. But keeping them from stinking to much is a hassle.
So beavers, bacon geese, oats, stale bread and pastries from Tim's and grocery stores add up quick. Also save your meat and bone scraps from the fall harvest. Chinese food grease is awsome.
Good.luck
Merry Christmas
Old 11-26-2020, 10:18 AM

Default bear food

Ford, is their anything that resembles food that a bear does not like. Bear cleaned out our outfitter tent, ate every can of beans/corn, tea bags, coffee etc. even ate our can of raid and can of bear spray. He crossed the line when he drank our bottle of whisky though.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:34 AM

So basically after reading this collect anything food related and grease that creates scent trails
Old 11-26-2020, 11:59 AM

Go see the local restaurants. Ask them for the old Fryer Oil when they do the changes.

Ask the restaurants for the chicken wing tips (they just cut the wing tips off and chuck them).

If you do any ice fishing, think about freezing blobs of guts, skin, and heads over the winter.

THEN in the spring go to a Big bakery in Edmonton and ask for day old bread, etc.

Biggest thing is to start gathering 5 gallon pails for putting the bait in and hanging off of hangers from the trees. Nothing worse than the ravens cleaning out the baits on you, so you need the lids as well.

Drewski
Old 11-26-2020, 02:34 PM

Bananas
Old 11-26-2020, 02:44 PM

If your looking to buy beavers I have over 200.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1907C93E-AF64-4B4D-B4EA-678398BDAAFE.jpg (29.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 11-27-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Ford, is their anything that resembles food that a bear does not like. Bear cleaned out our outfitter tent, ate every can of beans/corn, tea bags, coffee etc. even ate our can of raid and can of bear spray. He crossed the line when he drank our bottle of whisky though.

Yes!! Be careful on the used grease. Years ago I bought 800 gallons from a barbecue joint down in Kansas City and had it trucked up to my bear camp. Bears came fast, once, then the baits lay dead. There must have been spices used that argued with bears stomachs.
Standard restaurant grease, and if short on anything else get day old or thrown out bread products. Light to carry and bears love bread smothered in grease. It also makes bears deficate more so they come back more often.
We do not use sweets, attracts too many bees etc.
A last note, Lucky 7 Bear Bait in central MN. They ship thru the US and Canada. One 55 gallon drum of trail mix will do for a guy, top it with grease.
Last year a drum was 78.00. I’m not sure what shipping would be but I bet they have shipments going up there anyway.
Reusable drum, no smell no mess take what you need when needed.

Osky

Added: For me we build a plywood troughs, place it and then 5 gallons of trail mix with 1/2 gallon of grease pored over inside. Put a piece of plywood of size over top of trough then cover over with very heavy cut logs 6 feet long. Pour 1/2 gallon of grease over the top of this outside pile.
Covering with weight only a bear can open cuts down our bait usage big time.
Many good ideas above, we here cannot use some of those things.

Last edited by Osky; 11-27-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:03 PM

Really stinky stuff is way over rated as bait. It also makes the bait very unpleasant to sit near. Stick to bread, grain like oats or barely, dog food and grease. Bears will eat damn near anything and they can smell food of any kind for a real long ways. Bad smell doesn't carry any better than good smells and the good smelling stuff is way nicer to work with.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:32 PM

We had a load of 5 or 10,000 pounds of pork trimmings go bad before the season started one year, it was all rotten worst bait ever.

Old 11-27-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Haven’t really found anything that bears don’t like. Some are like people and have their preferences but dog food always seems to get them. Even had them come in and gobble up chainsaw oil and dish soap before.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:40 AM

Ford, agree on the oil, few years back grizz drank few liters of lube oil from boat in BC. Must have left a good trail to follow.
Guys on another point. You might want to follow same technique as trapping. Most of your 'Bait' like beaver/dog food does not need to smell, nice to handle. Then you have small amount of stinky 'Lure' like skunk to bring them in to investigate your stand.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:29 AM

Sourcing bait is relatively easy. Time is your hottest commodity. It’s takes a bunch of it to bait effectively and its a pile of work. But there’s no better way to break the hunting doldrums of spring than by getting after it. The excitement of that first overturned barrel of the season is exhilarating. Have fun and good luck!