Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
As both a horse and dog owner, that's a pretty irresponsible and clueless statement to make. Owners dogs should not be barking at theirs or their neighbours livestock.

Lost track of the reported times horses run through barb wire fences, begins with not recognized by owner enabled aggressive barking.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe so. Some introspection required I guess.

May be a lame excuse but hadn’t happened before as there was a degree of peaceful coexistence. Plus we didn't know the horses were there when we pulled up and opened the vehicle’s doors.

In the city we have zero tolerance for barking when outside. Dogs all around us always barking but never ours. Also get lots of cats in the yard and never let the dogs chase them out.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:22 PM

having a dog and having lived in town and out of town. To come home to someones dog chasing a calving cow just dont cut it.... Now I have experienced both sides because my dog would not stay away from the sheep up the road fro us but fortunatly it was because he was after the coyotes that were worrying the sheep, although we did have to have some buck shot removes from him. The first time but the nieghbor said he didnt see the coyote in the sheep till he fired and dropped major, then coyote bolted from the sheep pen (it was intense between us for a while) But we are still good friends and nieghbors and major survived the ordeal. We all have a resposibiliy to know where and what our animals are doing . And if they are causing damage we should be prepared for the outcome whether we have to pay damages or outright purchase that prize chicken that wilbur the dachund just tried to eat. I have found in most cases if I can capture the offending animal and wire a 4-5 day old road killed skunk (anything foul) to its collar, halter, or poke and followed with a rapid application of snowmobile belt to its arse they hardly ever come back , but if they do well you know that no one cares so rid yourself of it. I have often housed in my box stall 8-10 lost hounds but someone comes looking sometimes prudence is required.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan back in the .... well a long time ago, we used to call them stray dogs back then, but any dog caught in our pasture or yard harassing any of our animals got a bullet and ended up in the manure pile, don't see that I would change anything now if I still lived in a rural area.

Same here. Grew up in Sask and if a dog came on the property and chased livestock it was gone. Grandfather warned folks a mile down the road twice that the next time their big collie came near his pasture it was gone. And of course it did and of course it was.

Grandpa could shoot. 150 yds on a dead run with a 32-40 Win. Would have had to lead him by 20yds.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
You need to up your comprehension game. Simple Farmer already explained "here" doesn't mean the AO forum.

Looper

I might have missed a post then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 11-24-2020, 09:25 PM

I just checked a coyote bait today that I've had going a few weeks. Nearest acreage or farm is 1.5 miles away... today I had a black lab caught in a neck snare. Last week I had a great Pyrenees. Both were alive and well as they've obviously been tied up before and knew not to struggle. Lucky because I use kill springs and they hadn't fired. I pulled all the snares today. It sucks because I was catching coyotes at this location but I don't need the headache. The lab let me just walk up and set him free, wagging his tail ... the white one wanted to eat me so it was a little trickier. They're both still alive but that white one probably has a headache.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:22 AM

^ Pyrenees’s. Big roamers. Especially the males.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herc883 View Post
I just checked a coyote bait today that I've had going a few weeks. Nearest acreage or farm is 1.5 miles away... today I had a black lab caught in a neck snare. Last week I had a great Pyrenees. Both were alive and well as they've obviously been tied up before and knew not to struggle. Lucky because I use kill springs and they hadn't fired. I pulled all the snares today. It sucks because I was catching coyotes at this location but I don't need the headache. The lab let me just walk up and set him free, wagging his tail ... the white one wanted to eat me so it was a little trickier. They're both still alive but that white one probably has a headache.

1.5 miles isn't far for either of these breeds, especially the big white dog. Kudos for the releases herc883-some good PR work IMO.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-25-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
You need to up your comprehension game. Simple Farmer already explained "here" doesn't mean the AO forum.

Looper
If you go back and read, he actually didn't.

He just back pedalled and deflected, there was no definitive reply other than 'nuh-uh, shut up you are'

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-25-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken07aovette View Post
if you go back and read, he actually didn't.

He just back pedalled and deflected, there was no definitive reply other than 'nuh-uh, shut up you are'
100%
Old 11-25-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
If you go back and read, he actually didn't.

I guess it depends on context.

I read it as "around here" is where he lives, not "here" on the forum.

That's makes more sense dont you think?

Looper
Old 11-25-2020, 10:50 AM

wouldn't life be easier if we could just eat them?
Old 11-25-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I guess it depends on context.

I read it as "around here" is where he lives, not "here" on the forum.

That's makes more sense dont you think?

Looper
Thats the trouble with typing, after the fact he can make it sound like whatever he wants, after he has had to think about it, take a knee as it were. (lol)

I took it as AO, since he never mentioned a specific location.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-25-2020, 12:06 PM

Back to the original photo, it looks like the deer has a bullet or arrow wound in it's neck. I know guys in Texas who use large Catahoula type dogs like those to track and catch wounded deer, so it's possible that's what was going on.

I have some expensive dogs that I'm pretty attached to, which is one of many reasons that I don't want to get into a dog shooting war with my neighbors.

In most cases I have found that if I aggressively run the dog off my place, it doesn't come back. Many people pet, play with, and even feed the neighbor's dog and then complain about it coming over.

Two stray dogs had one of my cows frog legged on the ice many years ago. One was chewing on her tail and the other on her face. I chased them off and one immediately turned around and tied into her again. That one didn't make it home and the other didn't come back. Fortunately, that's the only stray dog I ever had to shoot. I occasionally saw pack of reserve dogs chasing deer through the bush on my place when I lived in the Peace Country but they were like coyotes and never stopped moving in the bush long enough to get a shot at them. They would occasionally get deer trapped against the chain link fences around oil batteries and kill the deer. I'm sure they killed many away from the road that were never found also. I ended up catching two of them in wolf snares but turned them loose. They were likely deer killers also, but the thought of killing some kid's pet doesn't sit well with me.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-25-2020, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Thats the trouble with typing, after the fact he can make it sound like whatever he wants, after he has had to think about it, take a knee as it were. (lol)

I took it as AO, since he never mentioned a specific location.
Ok pal, you made an assumption on what I posted, and then tried to bully me with insults and you won't let it go... What is your problem ? If in deed you were confused on what my intentions are, why not ask ?

Post 19 should have cleared thing up for you, sadly it did not and you continued to basically harass me. So, post 67 was there to again clear things up, you felt the need to continue to argue. Another member advised you that "here" was easily referenced as my property, you refused to even recognize their contributions.

Another high post count member, sns2 jumps on your band wagon and wants to argue and make silly acquisitions as well..

You both really need to unplug, reacquaint yourselves with family and friends before you miss out on the simple things.

If the mod's here think your behavior is acceptable, please remove my account..

Jim
Old 11-25-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplefarmer View Post

Those who advocate for the destruction of domesticated pets are not welcome here...
Those who allow their "domesticated pets" to run free and trespass and/or harass or kill wildlife, are not welcome here...

BTW, If I catch anyone's "pet" on my property and it even hints at being aggressive - it's takin' a dirtnap.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post

So if farmer Joe's cow wanders onto an acreage it's not their cow anymore ?
Kaboom, into the freezer ? It was harassing the lawn and the wife's sweet peas.

Asking for a friend.
https://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/s20.pdf

Quote:
Capture of Stray Livestock

Capture of trespassing livestock

8(1) If livestock trespass on land, the owner or occupier of the land
may, while the livestock are on the owner’s or occupier’s land,
capture and confine them or authorize another person to capture
and confine them in a place appropriate to enable an inspector to
identify them.

(2) No owner, occupier or person on their behalf capturing
trespassing livestock under subsection (1) shall permit or allow the
captured livestock to be
(a) transported or driven along a highway, or
(b) transported or driven over any land of which the owner or
occupier is not the owner or the person in possession,
unless authorized to do so by an inspector.

(3) When an owner or occupier or a person on the owner’s or
occupier’s behalf captures livestock trespassing on the owner’s or
occupier’s land, the owner or occupier or the person on the owner’s
or occupier’s behalf shall, within 48 hours of the time that the
livestock is confined, complete a statement of capture and claim
any expenses incurred in connection with the capture of the
livestock on the statement of capture and send it to the inspector.

(4) When an owner or occupier or a person on the owner’s or
occupier’s behalf captures livestock trespassing on the owner’s or
occupier’s land and the owner of the livestock or the last person in
possession of the livestock has been identified, the owner or
occupier or the person on the owner’s or occupier’s behalf must as
soon as possible notify the owner of the livestock or the last person
in possession of the livestock of the capture and confinement of the
livestock.

RSA 2000 cS-20 s8;2005 c19 s6
Old 11-25-2020, 03:47 PM

Simple farmers stay might be a short one.... Btw SF I took what you said as not welcome on AO too. For the record if your critter is on my place causing trouble chances are good it isn't going home. My discretion so far I have not had to but have come awful close. Fortunately my dogs usually take care of the intruding mutt.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:52 PM

Default Keep your dogs

Although I would not tolerate my dogs chasing livestock, there have been times when they have chased deer out of the yard. The chase usually doesn’t go very far by any means. With that being said, if somebody were to shoot one of my dogs, then you have shot one of my family. I find out who the shooter was and the consequences would be beyond anything that you could imagine!
Old 11-25-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Although I would not tolerate my dogs chasing livestock, there have been times when they have chased deer out of the yard. The chase usually doesn’t go very far by any means. With that being said, if somebody were to shoot one of my dogs, then you have shot one of my family. I find out who the shooter was and the consequences would be beyond anything that you could imagine!
Fortunately you are a responsible dog owner and dont let your dog run loose so this will never be an issue .
Old 11-25-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Absolute worst ones for wandering.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplefarmer View Post
Ok pal, you made an assumption on what I posted, and then tried to bully me with insults and you won't let it go... What is your problem ? If in deed you were confused on what my intentions are, why not ask ?

Post 19 should have cleared thing up for you, sadly it did not and you continued to basically harass me. So, post 67 was there to again clear things up, you felt the need to continue to argue. Another member advised you that "here" was easily referenced as my property, you refused to even recognize their contributions.

Another high post count member, sns2 jumps on your band wagon and wants to argue and make silly acquisitions as well..

You both really need to unplug, reacquaint yourselves with family and friends before you miss out on the simple things.

If the mod's here think your behavior is acceptable, please remove my account..

Jim
Since you are personally calling me out, a couple things that may help you if you plan on staying here.

If you say something, then continue fighting to the end, making sure you always get the last word and continuing to claim that your word is right and everyone else is stupid you are right, you should leave. You keep coming back to the thread, still slinging crap hoping it sticks. Hypocracy at its finest.

Taking everything so personally is going to cause you ulcers "pal", as you put it.

Bully insult and harass? I am jealous, I would have loved to have lived such a sheltered life, that you think what I wrote was bullying, insulting and harassing.

As for the other member that sided with you, great. Notice he didn't come all unglued like you keep doing. Be like him.

I am definately not a bridge dweller, I do not take little ugly dirty shots and then run and hide hoping someone else comes along to deflect so they forget about me, which is the defination of a troll.

I would suggest taking a step back, settle down and enjoy the forum for what it is, a nice place to give and get information from people that have experienced things you have, and maybe have not. I ask questions all the time, and help back where I am able.

Have a nice night.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Absolute worst ones for wandering.

They like to patrol the property borders. Great watchdog.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
They like to patrol the property borders. Great watchdog.
The owners property borders, the neighbour across the roads property borders, the neighbour 4 miles aways property borders.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:50 PM

You'd figure the citidiots that move rural would eventually figure out WHY they see so many "my dog is missing FB post"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tldGgGFe194
Old 11-25-2020, 07:52 PM

All puppies chase. When your starting out a young bird dog you have to whip 'em off everything you don't want them to chase.

Houndsmen have the same situation. If your after lions you don't want your dogs chasing a bobcat.

It's training.

And the dogs in the pics don't look like farm dogs or anything most people would own. Rez would be my guess
Old 11-26-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Funny you mention that Moose. One of the properties I hunt I've had a few hunts ruined due to a couple of them roaming/chasing from a neighbouring property. I called F&W and left a message about the problem but never got a call back.

IMO it's the responsibility of the pet owner to train and keep wandering dogs on their property. Using the excuse that it's the country and my dogs are free to do what they want won't make you any friends with your neighbours and may cause your dog to go missing depending on what it's doing when it's wandering. Some of our neighbours didn't even know that we had a dog until either they stopped by for a visit or it came up in a conversation we were having. Don't make your responsibility some one else's problem.....
Old 11-26-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Funny you mention that Moose. One of the properties I hunt I've had a few hunts ruined due to a couple of them roaming/chasing from a neighbouring property. I called F&W and left a message about the problem but never got a call back.

IMO it's the responsibility of the pet owner to train and keep wandering dogs on their property. Using the excuse that it's the country and my dogs are free to do what they want won't make you any friends with your neighbours and may cause your dog to go missing depending on what it's doing when it's wandering. Some of our neighbours didn't even know that we had a dog until either they stopped by for a visit or it came up in a conversation we were having. Don't make your responsibility some one else's problem.....
You would probably get better results calling bylaw enforcement about stray dogs , they are the ones tasked with dealing with dogs running at large . I like your final statement , seems so obvious .
Old 11-26-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
the owners property borders, the neighbour across the roads property borders, the neighbour 4 miles aways property borders.
lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-26-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
The owners property borders, the neighbour across the roads property borders, the neighbour 4 miles aways property borders.
If you're south of Sunset House, I'm sure you know all about roaming Great Pyr's. Those are the only ones I know of to cause the need for a neighborhood meeting with the PoPo and people going to jail.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-27-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If you're south of Sunset House, I'm sure you know all about roaming Great Pyr's. Those are the only ones I know of to cause the need for a neighborhood meeting with the PoPo and people going to jail.
Yeah, you got that right. Not a lot of love for Pyrenees around this community