Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Question browning X-bolt

im looking to get the browning x-bolt (stainless stalker 30-06)
yes i know there are a million threads and post on this already, but the vast majority of the comments are by people who have not used the rifle and/or are browning haters, another thing that bugs me on these sites are people who jack the posts and your reading about rem or savage instead of the question asked, so here i am with questions about this rifle
here they are:
any thoughts on
durability
quality
barrel quality/durability (i've read somewhere that someone blew the rifling clean out of the barrel, is that even possible (he shot using a 130 to 150 grain bullet, but aren't 30-06 able to shoot up to 230?)

If you have never shot this rifle please do not tell me they are junk or bad quality,
i have read mostly good things abut this rifle i just want to hear some comments by people who've used this rifle
thanks in advance!

Last edited by sh9683; 02-21-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: making sure i get email upon new posts
Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 PM

I have 2- 325 WSM Browning X bolt stainless steel stalker with the dura touch stock and I think they are great guns. Would buy one again no questions asked!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 PM

Have an X-Bolt Carbon Fiber in 300WSM and it is a fantastic rifle. Finish is excellent, balance is outstanding, and it can shoot moa right out of the box when I do my part. The only thing I notice after hauling it around for 4 weeks this past fall is the duratouch finish has some scuffs on it from regular hunting use. But really, no different than marks on any other hunting rifle I use, just different in that the finish almost cuts rather than dents or scratches.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 AM
sheephunter

Nothing fancy about them but they are a solid rifle with a good reputation for accuracy. They stack up well with other rifles in that price range. I've shot several different chamberings and the only issue I ever had was that I found it very easy to short stroke the bolt on the 325WSM. Not sure if it was just that particular rifle or something all in that chambering share but it was a bit annoying. Strangely I never had that issue with the 300WSM or 270WSM.

Last edited by sheephunter; 02-22-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 AM

I have a Savage and....

Just kidding. I don't actually own an X-bolt but I do have a friend who has one. He absolutely loves his. He bought a couple boxes of cheapo grey box Power Points for barrel break in and was clover-leafing on his first 3 shots right out of the box.

As for blowing the rifling out, I highly doubt anything remotely close to this was happening. Anything is possible I suppose but I find it very unlikely.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 AM

I will let you know in a couple of weeks. I ordered the exact same one but in a 243. It should be arriving by the end of the month.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 AM

Smile

thanks alot guys, this has been very helpful, i appreciate it, anytime i have questions i will be comming to this forum! it is just great! ive tried other forums and got two or three replies that where somewhat helpful in a couple weeks, but this is a great forum i will be comming to this one for revews about anything!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:27 AM

if anyone has had any problems with theres feel free to tell me too,
does anyone know brownings warrantee and and policy on sending rifle to get fixed?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 PM

so i made my decision, i will be going today or tomorrow to buy my x-bolt stainless stalker, 30-06 the price is 950$ at wholesale sports,
if anyone has reviews on this store feel free to let me know this as well, the guy there seemed more knowledgable then the guy at bass pro, and at wholesale the price was originally 1080 but they are willing to match bass pro at 950$
thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 PM

I have a Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .243 and I love the gun. Looking to get another X-bolt with a little more bang soon. You will love the gun!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 PM

Thumbs up

so ive bought the rifle now, and ive got to say its a nice rifle, nice feel, feels durable, looks great! the trigger is very nice (i haven't shot that many rifles but this triger does beat all that i have shot)
will let you let you all know how it shoots when i get a set of glass on it and take it to the range, (im looking at some nikon like prostaff or monarch) is the prostaff to light for a 30-06? any other good scopes that won't cost to much but will preform well and last?
thanks
feel free to keep those browning reviews coming
thanks again guys!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 PM

i have a few questions about dry firing and taking the bolt out
i know its a safe practise to not keep your bolt in you rifle, but how god is it for the hammer or whatever is in it to stay cocked will it damaged it? if so is there a way to release the cock position safely while its removed?
and what about dry firing ive done it a couple of times already, is it bad for it?

thanks
(sorry im asking a lot of questions)
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM

repetitive dry firing will get you used to your gun and get you shouldering it naturally ( muscle memory?)
when you dry fire the firing pin is going into the void where a primer would be if the gun where loaded there is no damage done
If you manage to decock your bolt while it is outside the receiver it will not go back in without being re cocked
I wouldn't recommend it
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
what about dry firing ive done it a couple of times already, is it bad for it?
Buy some snap caps and practice firing till the cows come home
Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 PM

thanks guys i have dry fired it about 10 times, i won't be doing that anymore, besides why would i need to dry fire it anymore, (its moslty my dad that wanted to keep trying the trigger, but i will get thoes snap caps if i want to dry fire some more!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM

i have a xbolt hunter in 7mm wsm and its awesome. accurate out of the box, nice recoil pad, 60 degree bolt, etc. the short stroke thing is true though at least with mine. missed a buck last year and he stopped for a second shot. pulled the bolt enough to eject, but never picked up a new bullet. that click sound is heart stopping. dont know if its only with the WSM's or not though. thats my only issue with it.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 PM

after some research looks like i will be going with the vortex vipers 3x9-40 with bdc, what do yu guys think about this?
what mounts should i get?
thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 PM

I purchased the X-bolt Hunter in a .300 Win Mag added the X-Rings on it and put on a 4x16x50 Canada optics on it , bought 2 boxes of Winchester 180 grain Power points and off to the range to brake it in ...
On the 6th 7th and 8th shot I got 3/8" grouping at 100 yards , Wow ! I said and my friends were very surprised that a Rifle out of the box did that with less then 10 rounds fired ... Made some 200 grain Noslers Partitions and got 1/4" grouping at 100 yards and 1/2" grouping at 200 yards , you can't beat that at under a $900.00 Rifle ..

I hope this was helpful , good luck !!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9683 View Post
thanks guys i have dry fired it about 10 times, i won't be doing that anymore, besides why would i need to dry fire it anymore, (its moslty my dad that wanted to keep trying the trigger, but i will get thoes snap caps if i want to dry fire some more!
you will find that most of the time you ask others for their opinion it is only to compare it to your own. When you find that most people respond in a way positive to your own thoughts you figure A ha I was right. Get enough negative feedback and you will start to question your own research, so you go back do more digging until the problems have been explained away and you are back to your original opinion and you figure A ha I was right!
When it is your hard earned money on the line, you are going to behave in a way that reflects your commitment to your investment, you want to be able to enjoy it for years so you will look after it based on your opinion on how it should be maintained
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixall7 View Post
I purchased the X-bolt Hunter in a .300 Win Mag added the X-Rings on it and put on a 4x16x50 Canada optics on it , bought 2 boxes of Winchester 180 grain Power points and off to the range to brake it in ...
On the 6th 7th and 8th shot I got 3/8" grouping at 100 yards , Wow ! I said and my friends were very surprised that a Rifle out of the box did that with less then 10 rounds fired ... Made some 200 grain Noslers Partitions and got 1/4" grouping at 100 yards and 1/2" grouping at 200 yards , you can't beat that at under a $900.00 Rifle ..

I hope this was helpful , good luck !!
sorry tho hear that, ive read other places that the x-bolt has that problme with magnums, ive tryed feeding bullets though and works great for me!

now for the real test when i get to shoot it i will let you all know how it shoots
Old 02-24-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
sorry tho hear that, ive read other places that the x-bolt has that problme with magnums, ive tryed feeding bullets though and works great for me!

now for the real test when i get to shoot it i will let you all know how it shoots
sorry dude i messed up on the quote someone had a problem feeding theres i didn't read
Old 03-04-2011, 02:29 PM

I'm shooting the .300 WSM (blued & duratouch finish) and my cousin is shooting the same gun in stainless.

This is my first Browning........No issues whatsoever for either of us. Very accurate right out of the box.

I haven't shot the variety of rifles that some of the board members have but I've shot my share and I love this gun.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:53 PM

well after a year of owning the rifle, and taking down two does, i am very satisfied with the riffle, sho tit just a month ago, to make sure it was still sited in, and perfect! three shots grouped nicely! all ready for the fall hunting season.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Browning X- Bolts are good rifles in my opinion. I own one in 300 mag and my hunting partner has one chambered in 300wsm. Factory loads to break in and both rifles have been firing custom reloads ever since. No issues.We haven't got alot invested in scopes either. Good rifle is 90% of it. Good quality fit and finish for the money spent. Pull trigger and game falls.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkalisavage300 View Post
Browning X- Bolts are good rifles in my opinion. I own one in 300 mag and my hunting partner has one chambered in 300wsm. Factory loads to break in and both rifles have been firing custom reloads ever since. No issues.We haven't got alot invested in scopes either. Good rifle is 90% of it. Good quality fit and finish for the money spent. Pull trigger and game falls.
agree, i love the riffle
Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 PM

Just picked up the micro Midas tonight in 7-08 for the missus. I'll add my two bits tomorrow if I can get out for a range session as planned.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:56 PM

I have an X-bolt Hunter in 30-06 bought last year at wholesale and I find it to be one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot. It is lightweight and the recoil is minimal. The only thing I could dock it on is the bolt. During my Elk hunt in Southern BC this year I found the bolt to become almost seized in the reciever after a very small amount of fine road dust settling onto my gun during transport. After a quick cleaning all was good. Just expected this rifle to be a little more tolerable for fine dust.
All around this rifle is a good buy for any shooter.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
so i made my decision, i will be going today or tomorrow to buy my x-bolt stainless stalker, 30-06 the price is 950$ at wholesale sports,
if anyone has reviews on this store feel free to let me know this as well, the guy there seemed more knowledgable then the guy at bass pro, and at wholesale the price was originally 1080 but they are willing to match bass pro at 950$
thanks
I have this same gun in 30-06. I have owned it now for about 2 years and I love it. I have never had a problem with it. The only thing that took me awhile to get use to was the smaller bolt handle as I was use to the bigger bolt handles. Now that I am use to it I love it. Its a very accurate gun and recoils very nice as well. $950 is also a great price. Mine cost me $1100 when I bought it. I will be purchasing another one of these in 223 and possibly 338 Win Mag or 375 H&H. Instead of dry firing the gun. As you are closing the bolt hold in on the trigger at the same time and this will lighty release your firing pin rather then a hard dry fire. Enjoy your new gun. You wont be disappointed
Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5316 View Post
I have this same gun in 30-06. I have owned it now for about 2 years and I love it. I have never had a problem with it. The only thing that took me awhile to get use to was the smaller bolt handle as I was use to the bigger bolt handles. Now that I am use to it I love it. Its a very accurate gun and recoils very nice as well. $950 is also a great price. Mine cost me $1100 when I bought it. I will be purchasing another one of these in 223 and possibly 338 Win Mag or 375 H&H. Instead of dry firing the gun. As you are closing the bolt hold in on the trigger at the same time and this will lighty release your firing pin rather then a hard dry fire. Enjoy your new gun. You wont be disappointed
thank-you,

Tags
browning, durability, quality, rifle, x-bolt